• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Road Pollution Mod

Started by sobol, July 12, 2007, 09:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sobol

Maybe someone can come up with a passive/active road pollution management mod (other then the existing trees).  Road pollution is insanely difficult to combat.

Thank you.
I've got nothing.

ScottFTL

There is an existing mod to tackle road pollution problems on Simtropolis.  You can either half or completely eliminate traffic pollution.  The mod also allows you to increase the radius of power and water facilities so you can spend less time building power lines and water pipes.

It is the UtilityRadius TrafPollution Modd by ralphaelninja.

Link here:

--Scott

thundercrack83

Hey, Scott! Thanks for posting that link! I never knew this existed before. Must have missed it. Thanks again!

sobol

ooooo... I will check it out....  I just wish the NAM had a pug in that could reduce the road pollution values and such....
I've got nothing.

Swamper77

Air pollution that is created by the traffic is handled in a different file than what the NAM contains. The road traffic air pollution is controlled by the Utilities Simulator Exemplar in the game.

-Swamper77
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

sobol

Ah, interesting.  I will try the linked mod when I get a chance to see how it works.  I will ofcourse report my results here.
I've got nothing.

sobol

Okay.. tested.

Results:  This works, but it is extreme...  50% isn't enough, and the no pollution at all...  is too extreme...  but it's definately a good start.  I will direct comments to the makers of the mod, aka the mod team.

Thanks for pointing this out.
I've got nothing.

sobol

Kinda like talking to myself.. but still.  Does the pollution mod suppress industrial demand as a side effect?
I've got nothing.

ScottFTL

You could say the mod is extreme, but I have used the no traffic pollution mod because the game provides no way to fight traffic pollution.  You can have parks and trees everywhere, but the roadways will still be polluted.

This has no general effect on industrial demand, although different types of industry have different tolerance for pollution.  Depending on the type of industry you are trying to build, the requirements are different.  There are also demand caps in the game that limit growth, but there are also mechanisms in the game to raise these caps.

First and foremost, all industry requires a short trip for freight.  All industry produces trucks that ship their goods, and these trucks need to find a neighbor connection (i.e. road connecting to an adjacent city), freight station or seaport quickly.  If an industrial lot is adjacent to rail, it will produce freight trains that need a neighbor connection (i.e. rail connecting to an adjacent city).

To grown farms, you need low-wealth and low-EQ residents in your city.  As the residents become more educated and wealthy, the demand for farm jobs will decline.  The farms themselves need to be built on relatively flat land with low pollution, low crime, low garbage, low land value and low traffic volume.  This means it must be built in an area that is not dense or congested.

To grow dirty industry, you need low-wealth and low-EQ residents in your city.  As the residents become more educated and wealthy, the demand for ID jobs will decline.  It has the same requirements as farms, except it does not care about pollution or traffic volume.

To grow manufacturing industry, you need medium-wealth and medium-EQ residents in your city.  As the residents become more educated and wealthy, the demand for IM jobs will decline.  It has the same requirements as dirty industry, except is less tolerant of pollution.

The last stage is high tech industry.  You need high-wealth and high-EQ residents in your city.  It needs flat land to build on and short freight trips, but it otherwise acts more like residential.  It has little tolerance for pollution.  Anything that has a positive effect on residential desirability has the same effect on IHT.

The easiest ways to increase industrial demand is to lower the tax rate or build more residential.  As you add amenities such as hospitals and schools, your residents will become wealther and more educated moving the demand into manufacturing and high tech.  There are a few Maxis structures that also provide a boost to industry:

Army Base - adds 100,000 IM
     Radio Station - adds 9,000 IM
     Advanced Research Station - adds 150,000 IHT
     University - adds 100,000 IHT

This is the fundamental way the game works.  None of the custom content changes this.  There are some ploppable lots with industrial jobs, and you have to be careful using them.  If you add a ton of jobs to a city that does not have the required demand, you will see negative demand and abandonment.  The population of the city may even decrease if you are not providing the kinds of jobs people want.

If you are going plop a lot of buildings, it can be a good idea to use a mod that boosts demand.  There are a few available at Simtropolis.

I hope this helps.

--Scott

sobol

Thanks man.  I knew most of this though.  I do not plop buildings other than legit landmarks.  I have very high I-HT demand, and land zoned for it, but nothing grows.  There in lies my problem.
I've got nothing.

BigSlark

I have found there simply aren't enough I-HT BAT's around, sobol. Search for "SFBT" on the STEX as there are several I-HT structures uploaded by that group.

If I ever figure out BAT I suppose that's what I would focus on.

Cheers,
Kevin

sobol

Thanks guys...  here's my report.  The radius (civic) service extension is flawless, and can save alot of money.  The traffic pollution manager is good... but it's really up to the individual player.. either it halves the total traffic pollution or completely eliminates it.  The trouble I experienced was of my own making.  Thanks for all the help.

Hey ScotFTL care to share all the cap relief values of the maxis landmarks and their yimby/nimby effects?

Thanks everyone.
I've got nothing.

BigSlark

No problem, sobol. RippleJet has broken down the caps and their reliefs in another thread. Look up his user name and just read down his last posts...

Cheers,
Kevin