• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Making growable lots larger than 6x6 - Megalots

Started by BarbyW, November 06, 2006, 07:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbyW

How to make those larger than 6x6 growable lots

This tutorial assumes that you know how to use iLive's Reader, Plug In Manager and Lot Editor and that you have some experience of modding lots. It is not a beginner's guide to using these programs.

1. Open a standard lot in Lot Editor for the appropriate type of growable - ie R$, CS$$ etc. Remove all the props, flora and overlays and replace the base texture with a plain dirt one. Don't worry about the size of the lot at this stage.

This is a 4x4 CS$ lot that has had its props and textures removed and the base texture changed. It will become a 9x9 lot.

2. Save As - give it an appropriate name such as the one I used for the commercial template included with this tutorial; CS$1_9x9_STEX_Goddess_Template1. Make sure you include the size of lot you want to make as well as the type.
3. Close Lot Editor. 
4. Make sure that you have the model for the building you want to use as the main building on your lot. This can be a separate model or part of a prop pack but it must be in the root of your plugins folder. I recommend that your plugins folder is kept tidy and that when you are doing this you only have the required files in place.
5. Make a descriptor file for the type of lot you want in Plug In Manager. Make sure it is the correct type of descriptor - R$, R$$ etc. 

In the above screenshot I had moved three of gascooker's prop packs into the root of plugins as I wanted to use models from that pack to make the buildings. The file name is useful to note, as it will be a dependency for the building even if no other props are used from that pack.
6. Drag the model file to the type of building you want. In the above case I dragged it to the CS$ section. When the next window opens change the name to something you will recognise easily.

Before

After

While in Plug In Manager change the occupancy, power and water consumption and any other properties you want to reflect the fact that this building is going to be the main one for a complex. Compare the above two screenshots to see how I have made some changes. It is not finished, as the pollution needs changing.

7. Open your lot in Reader and open the Exemplar. At this stage you should only have one and it is the LotConfig Exemplar.

The property you are looking for is the LotConfigPropertySize as shown above. 

8. Double click the line to open the property box.

9. Change the lot size to be the same as the size you want. Remember that these numbers are hexadecimal so decimal 10=A, 11=B to 15=F. 

When you have made the changes click Apply at the bottom of the pop up box.
10. Reindex the LotConfig property and Save. Close the Reader.

11. Now open up your lot in LE and it should now be the correct size but with missing base textures. 

Add these immediately and save to keep the lot the right size. Do not try to increase or decrease the size in LE or it will revert to 6x6. If you want to change the size then you MUST do it in the Reader. Also make sure you save over your previous lot.

12. Replace the building with the one you want to use and finish making the lot. 

Save when you have finished and exit.
13. Test it for growth and occupancy etc. Remember to use CTRL when zoning. 

14. If it grows and works OK, open up the lot in Reader and add the Building Exemplar to the lot. Make any other refinements such as a custom query etc and save. If you find problems then make the edits now and test again.

15. Test again.
These larger growables do not need to be square, of course. They can be any size or shape but if they conform in one dimension to a Maxis lot size then the area can be split into smaller lots.  SG's 18x6 SupaSava is a classic example of this and often would be split into 3 6x6 lots when we were testing it.
Also do not transit enable these lots as any lot that is transit enabled will not upgrade so your sims could be trapped in low wealth housing or jobs.
I am attaching  a couple of sample templates for you to examine and use.   

This is the original 1x3 R$ lot that I  turned into the 7x7 growable R$ template lot  included with this tutorial.
They have standard Maxis buildings on them so you should not have a brown box problem.  Make copies of these files and rename them as you use them.
Edit: Oops, forgot to attach the zip. :-[
Have fun
Barby
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

jeronij

This is a "must read" one so it is being set sticky ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Alfred.Jones

Sim City 4 Devotion

bat

TheTeaCat

So thats how you do it.
Great tutuorial by the way. Clear and easy to understand.

Thank you for the information Barby. :D
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

sebes

If I only look at these screens posted in your tutorial I get dizzy..  I admire you guys for being able to make such beautiful lots. I believe you were to first to find out how to make these large lots - so the label Stex/Devotion/Plex Goddess is well deserved! &dance

No I go on with my REAL pathetic attemps in trying to only reach the level where you were years ago :computer:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

newyorkrunaway1

great tutorial! i tried this and got it on the first time with noe problems!!! &hlp
"The Unofficial Realism Oracle"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parkland - Adventures In RealismA CJ | By newyorkrunaway1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAUTF | North American Urban Transit Forum (New & Improved)
NashDEV Gallery | Nashville TN USA Gallery (Over 900 Pictures and counting)

superhands

great barbyW. ive used this tute to make some farms of 4x15 sizes that will merge into the SG/BSC fields :thumbsup:

BigSlark

Does this change at all with that new-fangled X-Tool?  ???

Cheers,
Kevin

RippleJet

Quote from: BigSlark on May 16, 2008, 09:05:20 AM
Does this change at all with that new-fangled X-Tool?  ???

You could say so... ::)

With the "X Tool" you can make growable lots up to the size of 31×31 tiles. :thumbsup:

Fatsuhono

Thank you for this tutorial Barby... :) But, when I click on LotConfigPropertySize, you say to change the lot size (I want 8x13)... Where is the option for lot size? ()what()

BarbyW

fatsuhono: look again at item 8 in the tutorial. That is where you change the lot size.

Fatsuhono

Hmmm... That is where I was looking. What field is for the lot size? :-[

BarbyW

The two values in the box are for width and depth so if you want a lot 10 wide by 11 deep you would change the first one to 0x0a and the second one to 0x0b.

Fatsuhono

Okay.... But, what about 8x13? What are the values for these? (Are the fields wxd or dxw?)

RippleJet

Quote from: Fatsuhono on November 26, 2008, 12:31:08 PM
Okay.... But, what about 8x13? What are the values for these? (Are the fields wxd or dxw?)

Those numbers are always shown as hexadecimal in Reader.
And they are always width × depth ;)

Fatsuhono

Swamper77

You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Fatsuhono

Thank you Barby, RippleJet, and Swamper for all your help! :)

cogeo

And you don't really need to convert your values to hex (and enter them as hex), you can just enter them in decimal form (just don't precede them with 0x) and iLive will make the conversion for you. This works for all (numeric) property types, except for 8-byte integers, ie SINT64 (like plop, bulldoze or maintenance costs).