• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ploppable sheep

Started by Ennedi, September 12, 2007, 12:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ennedi

I was going to start this topic from a long time, but there is a good occasion today - Chrisadams3997 started his Rural Renewal Project - see here. Answering for my question Chris explained some ineresting things about making sheep automata, so I decided to make a request.

Sheep are an important part of the landscape (it's said from SC4 point of view  :D), not only in mountains, but on many large grassy areas, and they can be a great addition to SC4.
Btw, sheep are closely connected with SC4 (I've bought this postcard in UK a few years ago)

But too much sheep can lead to serious traffic problems

Speaking more seriously, sheep look great on the mountain meadow

An important aspect of sheep is density (exactly as for residentials).
We can speak about various density levels of animals:

Low (lions, bears, also tigers)
Medium (horses, deers, also elephants and giraffes)
High (cows)
Very high (sheep)

And this is a main reason for such high sheep density

Compact version for very small pastures

Maybe somebody could be interested in it?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

M4346

Quote from: Ennedi on September 12, 2007, 12:25:24 PMSheep are an important part of the landscape (it's said from SC4 point of view  :D)

Well, I'm sure the Welsh, Australians and New Zealanders agree and support this wholeheartedly :P You know what rumour has about them and sheep, right?! :P

Anyway, I hope someone takes this up!  ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Madeira aka Constantina

it would make a great change from south american llamas. i put my support to this idea.

dragonshardz

RippleJet

Your post gave me a good laugh, Adam. :D
I really hope somebody would pick up on the idea... ;)

TheTeaCat

At least you don't try to pull the wool over our eyes , you come straight to the point and i agree with you. New farm animals in the game would be great. it would make rural areas more realistic.

Quote from: Madeira on September 12, 2007, 12:42:02 PM
it would make a great change from south american llamas. i put my support to this idea.

I was wondering, seeing as there was a way to reskin vehicle automata in the game could we not do something similar and reskin some of the animals within the game.
Somebody has probabaly mentioned this before but its just a thought.

Derry

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

dragonshardz

yeah, reskin the llamas to be sheep and put in a CONTROLABLE spawn point, where they spawn and hang around for a while.

Ennedi

Very good idea with these llamas :D, but never have I seen a dense group of llamas in SC4 - and did you notice what I said about the sheep density?  ;D
Yeah, I saw a lot of single sheep roaming around in Scotland, but I think it would be nice to see a flock of sheep on the meadow ;)
And this is the reason why I think about "plop a sheep" lot
New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

RippleJet

jacqulina

callagrafx

QuoteYou know what rumour has about them and sheep, right?!

There's a saying in these countries....

"Where men are men and sheep are nervous"  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Chrisadams3997

So I've been rooting around a little bit for .fsh files, and ran a little experiment just to make sure it would work.  In simcity dat 2 and 3 I've found skins for a number of animals, though not all of them.  If any of you have looked through there I'm sure you might have seen them as well.  So I modified one of the three horse skins:

And got this in game:

Which clearly shows that with a little work, assuming one knows the right files to manipulate, there are clear possibilities for this.  However, these files are quite scattered.  Most are within certain ranges of dats 2 and 3, but there are a lot of them that aren't.  As yet I haven't seen any for cows or llamas, though most of the others I've seen.  Here are three that particularly caught my eye, though I'm not sure what if anything in game is actually utilizing them.  The form looks like a dog, but yet the second one has interesting markings... at any rate, with their IID's

The last one actually had colors just like the second file shown that 'blacked out' when I clicked on another file then came back to it.

EDIT:  After looking at the llamas in game, I'm pretty sure this is the texture for them, but I haven't checked it yet.  At any rate, the model wouldn't do a good job of simulating sheep.

TheTeaCat

I messed about with the BAT ( something I can barely use $%Grinno$%) and yes I know its very very basic but could this be classed as a (Sheep)  &mmm ........

other pics as thumbs so as not to clutter up the thread with my pathetic ::)  attempts  :D

not visible here as so small

aligned to slopes too ;)

and the bat pic

As i said a very basic thing coz thats the level of my skills with the BAT ::)

:satisfied:
TTC
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

Ennedi

Thank you very much my friend!!!

Indeed your sheep look very disciplined (or strongly magnetized), maybe it could be good to rotate some of them, but at least somebody started with them - and it is a goood starting point!

A present for you

New Horizons Productions

TheTeaCat

Thank you-  nice pressie too :thumbsup:

yes i agree  about rotating them easy to do in the LE as i made them as a prop.

And if we a shepard with a dog running around them  :D

as you say its a start :D

:satisfied:
TTC

Chrisadams3997

Actually, the best approach would be to turn them into mayor mode ploppables, as Ennedi suggested, as this will allow you to place them in any configuration you wanted to, and it automatically rotates them.  Additional you would want to render them at several other angles with would be additional models in the 'cluster' made for the sheep plop.  That way they wouldn't all be standing at right angles to each other ;D.

Of course, while it's a start, the model might require a few upgrades(like a head maybe :P), but once modelling is done I can easily do the modding for it.  I might also eventually get to doing a model if you don't beat me to it ;).  Here's the side of a cow model I started the other day(since I know more of what I'm doing there), just to experiment with approaches to the modelling.  Sans head, feet, and tail thus far ::)  And for anyone curious, the markings are not complete yet either, but it's the start of a Hereford.

I can pretty easily convert it over to a sheep model once it's finished, but this was the easy part(and the shape isn't perfect yet either)

Chris

M4346

Great start guys! Just one thing...

Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on September 19, 2007, 10:15:59 PMI can pretty easily convert it over to a sheet model...

I thought I removed all the sheet with the BSC No Maxis mod... :P

Good luck!  ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Chrisadams3997

Ha! I trump your typo quote with a quick press of the edit button...mwahaha ()flamdev()

Ennedi

This process of creation is beginning to be fascinating, much more than in the real world  :D

M4346, callagrafx, RippleJet and others - thank you for your support, very nice to see you have a good playtime here, it was a side purpose of this thread (although sheep are most important ;D)

Hereford, you say...  Thank you, Chris! :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions

Diggis

Thie thing with the existing ingame animals is that they are true 3d models, with a model for each step they take. (I'm pretty sure that I read that somewhere)