• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mods to classify building styles

Started by frdrcklim, November 01, 2007, 11:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frdrcklim

I don't know if anyone thought of this, but wouldn't you want a mod where you want all the Amsterdam buildings to come so that only those buildings would come out and then if I just want to switch the style to some Mediterrenean buildings, then I just have click on that style. In other words, a building style control but instead of this for Houston, Euro-Contemporary, New York and Chicago, a building style control to classify and separate lot downloads. It would be nice to have all buildings with the same style and to see a nipa hut and an Dutch city kind of puts it out of place.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

BarbyW

I would suggest you try to learn a little more about the mechanics of the game before making requests like this. This type of mod is a huge task as Pegasus found when he started the MTP Mondo mod. If you want this sort of thing then you need to try to do it for yourself and ask for advice and help.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

M4346

I'm going to attempt to answer this to the best of my abilities and knowledge of the City Styles feature of the game, but it I by no means purport that it is correct or exhaustive so I'm going to request that someone verify and / or correct my facts. :)

As far as I know the Building Style feature is an Occupant Group (OG) added to individual descriptor files categorising them in that specific style. So it won't be entirely impossible to, say, classify Parisian BATs as Euro, Mediterranean BATs as Houston, Dutch BATs as New York and Small Town US buildings as Chicago by assigning the specific OG to each and blocking all the Maxis content with a no-maxis mod.

It is, as far as I know, impossible to change the style name and so forth as it is inherent to the game, or at least, it has not yet been attempted to my knowledge.

This is not entirely impossible, but will require an unrealistic amount of time to sift through all the available content, re-mod it, create dependency listings, package it, test it and so forth. Also, who is to establish the standard by which to judge a BAT as belonging to a specific genre?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Anyone else, please feel free to elaborate and rectify where necessary.  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine