• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

subway upon road bridge

Started by Jack Bauer, December 15, 2007, 09:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Bauer

Hello everybody :D, i purpose a very interesting and util project for you :thumbsup:!!!!!!!! I think that you know the chicago' subway!!!! this subway is very special because the lines are upon the streets!!!!! i saw that pieces were created but anyone have already created a road bridge with a subway line passed on it!!!!!!! I really need this bridge and i am not the only because i am recreating chicago!!!! Some pictures to convine you( the lake street birdge of Chicago)!!!! &apls The amators are specially invited because i think that this project would permit you to acces to the NAM team and the members of NAM team are also invited because it is a very interesting project to improve the NAM and the areian metro!!!! $%Grinno$%

As you can see the metro passed upon the cars

I hope my project will be do ::)

Serkanner

No need for a new project. Just get yourself a "subway to El-Train transition" and the result is the same  ;)

Masochist

I believe this is already possible in NAM...

The lower right side of the picture, near the avenue roundabout...is that what you mean?
(Under Construction)

bwatterud

I think he wants bridges for those pieces, which, while it would be cool, is impossible because they aren't draggable. 

Jack Bauer

we can perhaps create a special pieces like we have with maxis but without the pillars . after we can put the road

Jonathan

I think you are talking about a double decker bridge? Subway over road ?
Well if so this is not possible, I don't know why exactly, because I have no understanding of SC4 bridges on the modding side, I think it is because there can only be one type of path on a bridge, subway is one path and road another = not possible. And then it is very likely that subway bridges on their own are not possible.

Masochist : how did you make the Avenue Roundabout on the left with the diagonal bit, was it with the NAM 2008?

krbe

What about the Prague type, with the underground passing a gorge capsuled inside cement underneath a bridge? &hlp

jplumbley

Dual Network Bridges are not possible.

The reason why has been said by Warrior already.  MAXIS did not enable two differing path types to be on the same bridge.  We have made experiments with Dual Network Bridges, we have added the paths, made the models, allowed traffic to use them, but in the end the issue is that the 2nd path makes the bridge an invalid piece of the network.  For some reason the Sims will not use the bridge and when viewing the Congestion the bridge always appears a maximum congestion.  We cannot fix this issue because it is something MAXIS did not allow to work.

Now, Dual Networks on Land are possible to an extent.  Because MAXIS was forced to allow 2 path types for intersections such as Road/Rail Intersections we are allowed to have 2 path types on a network tile.  Unfortunately though, for Dual Networks that means they will only be able to intersect with networks with common path types.  So if it is GLR in Avenue, it cannot have an intersection with Rail or Monorail, but it can have intersections with Road, Street, OWR, Highways and El-Rail.

This is a quote from a post I made in the NAM Private Discussion just yesturday:

QuoteThese should work perfectly fine theoretically.  We have GLR in Avenue puzzle pieces which work, this is essentially the same thing.  Now, if you think about it  MAXIS allowed for 2 path types other than Pedestrians to be in the same tile for intersections.  This means that Dual Networks are possible, but when you throw in a 3rd Party network from an intersection you will get the same issue you found with the Double Decker Bridge. 

Bridges are not able to intersect with anything so there is no possible way to have a 2nd party network for 2 path types.  This means that they did not build it into the code, but they had to for the regular networks for dragging.  Since each network only has one path type on it and was only intended to MAXIS only allowed for 2 different path types at an intersection.  So, the limitation is that we cant have EL-Rail over Road with an intersection with Rail.  We can have an El-Rail intersecting with an EL-Rail over Road because the EL-rail shares a same path type as the dual network.

I hope that makes a bit of sense.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

krbe

Quote from: Warrior on January 09, 2008, 09:24:38 AM
krbe: What do you mean, are you talking about a game or RL bridge?

This is the bridge:

I believe it's located between Vyšehrad and I. P. Pavlova stations (with Vyšehrad st just before the metro enters the bridge). I believe it's located entirely over land -- would it be possible with a subway>elrail-under-road and an elrail-under-road puzzle piece so that such a bridge could be constructed? I.e. a mock bridge similar to the elrail-road pieces?

redraider147

Quote from: jplumbley on January 09, 2008, 10:37:59 AM
Dual Network Bridges are not possible.

The reason why has been said by Warrior already.  MAXIS did not enable two differing path types to be on the same bridge.  We have made experiments with Dual Network Bridges, we have added the paths, made the models, allowed traffic to use them, but in the end the issue is that the 2nd path makes the bridge an invalid piece of the network.  For some reason the Sims will not use the bridge and when viewing the Congestion the bridge always appears a maximum congestion.  We cannot fix this issue because it is something MAXIS did not allow to work.

Now, Dual Networks on Land are possible to an extent.  Because MAXIS was forced to allow 2 path types for intersections such as Road/Rail Intersections we are allowed to have 2 path types on a network tile.  Unfortunately though, for Dual Networks that means they will only be able to intersect with networks with common path types.  So if it is GLR in Avenue, it cannot have an intersection with Rail or Monorail, but it can have intersections with Road, Street, OWR, Highways and El-Rail.

This is a quote from a post I made in the NAM Private Discussion just yesturday:

your explanation, is also why i am beginning to believe dual networks are not a great idea in themselves for the game. as i've been watching the traffic patterns of my game, i've noticed that if one of the networks where there is dual networking gets congested, the other one does as well...this means although it may save some space to have dual networks, and look more realistic, it is not very practical from a simulation standpoint. if we could figure out how to use the 3rd dimension for separate pathing rather than dual network pathing, we might have a solution. theory behind this points to the subway. i'm working to see what i can mess with on the subway...if i could get a subway to become say a tunnel underground carrying roadbed (not a simple transit switch, we're talking a new network) then we have a solution and it only needs to be moved from the negative portion of the vertical axis to the positive portion. in theory it should work...the problem is that with the way subways were written into the game, this proves to be very difficult if not impossible. should we be successful in that though, dual networking becomes a reality and puzzle pieces are no longer necessary. bridges could easily carry multiple networks and much more realism could be achieved both with the simulation and with the look of cities...

zakuten

In this case of el-over-road, since it's a puzzle piece already and considering how NAM raised roads can be placed on/in the water anyway, could you not simply elevate the dual network on pylons as well, and have it be placed on the water? I know it'd bar ferries and would need fairly precise terraforming of the river bottom, but it could work.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Jonathan

Adding new netowrks is are possible, but not legal
As far as I'm concerned the main objective of the SC4 Community should be making modifying the EXE legal, whether that's with .dlls or getting MAXIS to give us the source code. After that, new networks, new menus, dual and even triple networks, easy to build diagonal bridges, user controlled tunnelling, almost everything will be possible to release.

kassarc16

You'd think that with the great community effort put in place to extend the life of their game way past what it would be without fan involvement, there would be some concessions and help from Maxis. I think the problem lies with EA, and their bottom-line focus.