• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Critique this Picture....

Started by rooker1, November 13, 2008, 04:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simpson

Very fine picture Casper, I give you 7,5/10 ;)

Lilojame: where did you find these fields?  :)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Earth quake

CasperVg: Nice pic, I like your Camping.  $%Grinno$% 8/10
Godzilla man: wow impressive pic, excellent choice  for your CBD, but he hasn't like. 7.5/10
Liliojam: Exceptionnal pic, i really like your farm, just 9.95/10  :D
Rooker: nice pic. 7/10
Heblem: Wonderful pic,excellent lotting. 8/10

Critique this pic:

Resized picture according to the rules, Robin  ;)

squidi

earth quake>

what captured my eyes first was the image manipulating (as gimp user i wont say photoshoping :D)
it looks not real but intresting like it is painted.
the sports field lokks nice with the sourunding trees but iam somehow missing a fence.
i think there should be a chainlink fence at leats behind the goal to save the parking space from balls flying there(argh i think my english must be funny to read sometimes)
on the huge mall on the left i do not really like the roofs as iam missing some smaller details like vents and such things . the pieces are also not fitting together well often you can see little edges.
i like the busshelter although i think its a bit much of them.
in my opinion 1 or 2 would be enough and you should fill the rest with parking lots or something other of you like.
oke that were a lot of little things that iam not really happy with in that picture but they are all just small details and i really like the overall look of it.
hm.. my rating will be 7,58
i not really have an idea how to give good ratings out of 10 so just see that as nothing more than 3 irrelevantly numbers ;)

-paul

edit: i decided to put one of my own ones in here.
the image quality may not be the best as i took it out of a very compremized mosaik

rooker1

Ohhh, I have a few pictures to judge, awesome.

Lilojame, The picture itself is pretty plain.  Although however nice the fields look, there is nothing else to really draw your attnetion too.  If you had zoomed in on a vehicle on the dirt road or had more farm houses in the pic, I think it would look alot better.  The frame is definately unique, and I'm trying to be polite,  ::) ;) but it draws away frame your picture instead of enhancing it.
I'm sorry for this score, but I have to give this a 5/10.

Godzillaman, Very nice picture.  I wonder if this was grown or plopped.
Anyways, I see no repetition in buildings, huge plus for me.  I like the use of parks around the buildings, not too much and not too little.  Yes the avenue are void of any cars, but also I see no people making the picture very lifeless.  Some kind of border/frame would finish off the picture very nicely.
I think this picture deserves a 8/10.

caspervg, First of all, everyone can judge and grade pictures, it's mostly just an opinion and everyones feed back will be found important to different viewers.
Your picture, nice camp ground and shameless plug  ;).  Although I have seen camp grounds that look just like this, I still find the picture very plain and I'm not too sure why.  The river would look better if you didn't have it so straight.  Maybe to add so me more life there could be a park and some boats on the water.  a nice border/frame to finish off the picture would be nice as well.
I give this picture a 7.5/10.

Earth quake, I like this picture.  I like that the focus is the park between a busy mall, school and appartment buildings.  It looks very realistic and such a place could really exist.  &apls Not all focal points need to be something large in the center of the picture, great job on this one.  The title is a good idea as well.  Now the down fall is that I think you over used the softening effect (not sure what it called).  If it wasn't so strong I would say it was a great idea.  And the lack of the finishing touch of a border/frame brings your score down to a 8.5/10.

squidi, Your lots never sieze to amaze me and looking for flaws in them will be almost impossible.  ::)  I like that the focal point of the picture is the construction site, great idea.  It looks like a very busy city, I see the people but not he vehicles.  Your chioces of custom buildings is just about perfect, not that I really have any better chioces.  The picture is extremely clear, which is a good point to me, but I just wish it was finished off with a border/frame.
I give this one 8.5/10.

I'll throw one in from me again.

Tell me what you think of mine and I hope to see alot pictures from you all.
Robin  :thumbsup:

Call me Robin, please.

squidi

thanks for the critique robin :thumbsup:
with the traffic you are absolutly right, thats always a problem for me because people are appearing at a different time than the vehicles and i think for a really good picture i have to make one with vehicles and one with people and putting them together.
i sometimes already did that but as this one was first a mosaic i was a bit to lazy to make that for such a big  ;)
iam glad that you noticed that and put it in the critique as it is a real impotend point imo

now to your picture:
you was absolutly right with the border on my one because even before i had red your post, your fading border catched my eyes :thumbsup:
there are 2 things in you picture that i do not really like.
first the maxis parking textures with the parking cars on it.
i am not able to imagine how someone should drive a car through the 2 line2 lines of parking cars are just to close together in my opinion.
the second thing is that building on the right, wasnt it cockatoo ones?- not sure yet-
i really like that building and it will appear in my city too someday :)
but i think it is supposed to use with buildings next to it with some kind of mall
going under the advertisement boards.
without that the boards are looking somehow strange in my eyes.
the elevated rail over the road is a very special thing on that picture what is fitting very good to the urban look.
i also like the triangular parks in front of that bright building giving it an intresting touch. that bat itself is also looking good especially with the glass parts.
at all its a good picture
and i will give you 8.375 point for it :D

paul

Love the score Paul, thanks, Robin  ;)

Lilojame

Thank you very much all and by the way, Robin, there was no need to be polite. ;) Next time just hit me with all the strength, I can take it.  ;D And I have to agree, the frame was way to much.
Simpson, I believe that they come with the BSC Farm Fields package....

Ok, now to the pictures.

caspervg , I give you 8/10 because I find it pleasing. Otherwise I am joining on what Robin said.

Earth quake , very nice there even if I find a picture just slightly 2 vivid in colors and I am missing some people there on the field.As overal I give you 8,5/10.

squidi, there is a nice amount of people there and I love how those shadows under the trees look as for other things I have to agree with Robin (again), I give you 8,7/10

Robin, I am sorry to say so, but I am bothered with the border you choose. If it would be just slightly smaller then it would be great. The title fits perfectly since there is a very nice amount of cars lined up. I will give you 8,5/10 this time.

And here is a new (literary) one from me:

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

Pat

Robin I think your pic and title are real good there but that border is a tad bit to thick maybe thin it out a little more and it would be a solid 10 but the border brings it down to a 8.5 out of 10 from me....

Karin Very lovely impression of the El Burtz Castle you got there!!! I love how the water turned out in the reflection... The border is very good here on this one... but the defussion around the castle is to much its to bright still this is a good one at a 8 out of 10 from me....

OK here you go all time to roast me.....

800 size limit rule fix

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rooker1

Karin (Lilojame)....
First let me say that there is no need to be sorry, it's your opinion and you are intitled to it.  ;)
Now for your picture...the picture itself is awesome, great choice of subject, that model is fantastic.  I reall ylike the terraforming job you did and it's a great idea to put the castle on the island.  I also like the border/frame it's very fitting.  My only issue is wih the amount of reflection effect that you used.  I think it's a bit too much.  Other than that great picture.
I give this one a 8/10.

Pat, great picture and I know how much work it was to cut out the cockpit to fit your picture in.  Great work.  Everyone has thier own views on how streams and waterfalls should be done, I think yours are a little lacking in that they need some more fine tunning.  Maybe hiding some of the edges on the plop rock stuff with some trees and wish that the picture was finished off with some sort of border/frame.

Now here is one from me.

Call me Robin, please.

Pat

Robin I am drooooling there on your pic wow!!! Your skills have improved immesly or however you say that word lol.... anyways I love the effect on the 4 pipe towers how they are standing out clearer then the rest!!! So you got an ace in the hole here with this pic a 10/10 from me sir!!!!

OK so here is another one from me.....  Ohh btw I will be redoing that flight pic with your suggestions it was the first attempt ever at anything like it  :D anywho......

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

j-dub

Rooker1, you really brought out the air pollution being caused. Good effect. 9/10

Pat, nice use of ploppable water, and blending it in with the enviornment. It looks like the only photo editing here, is the border line around. 10/10

Heres one from me, the reason I didn't give it anything special, is I wanted everyone to guess what part of the photo was real and how much of it was touched. On purpose, I left something in here, that may or may not give it away. Look at the very bottom, in the middle of the road.

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/1245/1894202294.JPG

Lilojame

Thank you Pat and Robin!

Now to my thoughts:

Pat: Picture 1: The landscape looks great and also the added layer its a great touch. You could smooth the border of it a bit tho. I give you 9,2/10
       Picture 2: The rock face looks great and I agree with j-dub. For this one I give you 9,7 (no picture is perfect ;) )

Robin: Woho, wonderful! The smoky effect makes it look real, I could almost smell the smokes. The blurriness is in just right amount. The border fits perfectly and the motive is nice (although is not a nice one  :D). I do miss a title tho, somehow. I give you 9,9354/10 this time.

j-dub : One side of the road has a curb and the other has not. I am not quite sure if the road is a raised one or not, but it cuts the view on the upper left lot. I don't remember seeing the bluish lines accompanying a yellow line anywhere else but I might be mistaken. I see some life (cars and people there) so that is a plus but otherwise it just doesn't look good to me , possibly because of the resizing or similar. The bluish shadows on two buildings are kinda ok tho. As an overall I give you 3/10

Same gorgeous bat on same island and yet different:
  ???

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

bluesinjid

First time here,and Im loving this thread~ :D

LIlojame: 10/10 really awesome effect you did with the snow,and the trees add some balance to your photo! &apls. Great pic! :thumbsup:

OK heres one of mine:

rooker1

Pat, you are definately one of the main people out there that use the ploppable water the most.  Your rivers are looking better and better from the day I remember you started.  The picture seems to be lacking something.  Maybe the there needs to be more trees and more different types bunch up in larger groups.  The fallens rocks look good, maybe on the corner there could be some white or grey rocks to look like they had just fallen recently.  The frame/border finishes off the picture very nicely.

j-dub, this thread is dedected to critiqueing pictures not guessing what you did.  So with that said, I think this is a picture of very poor quality and is lacking any real subject matter/ focal point.  It has no frame or border to finish it off.
I give this picture a 3/10.

Karin (Lilojame), fantastic picture....The overall picture is really good, the PSing cloudy effect I like.  The double border/frame and the title is a very nice added touch.  It looks like the snow effect took you a long time to add in.  The only thing I don't like the that blue around the castle, it seems to throw the picture off a little and I wish you had taken the picture up a little higher so that the tip of the far back tower was showing.
I give this picture a 9/10.

bluesinjid, nice to see you drop a picutre in here.  I really like this picture.  I can't find anything that I would change about it.  The sin reflection effect is very nice and I like how clear it is.  I just wish you had finished it off with a frame/border.
I give this picture a 8.5/10.

And here's another from me.

Call me Robin, please.

Simpson

Nice picture Robin, I give you 6,5/10  ;)

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

The_Hutt

Simpson - just the right mix of suburban and rural, and your attention to detail is fantastic to say the least. I like the little touches like the cabin and the enclosure, and the pond is also very well done. Overall I'd give it 9.2.

rooker1 - excellent realism. I'm not sure I like the roof of the one tall building occupying nearly half the picture - perhaps scooting the perspective to the right a few tiles would give us a more eye-pleasing view. Overall I'd give it a 7.6.

bluesinjid - nice phototouching effects - although that tunnel entrance under the building looks a tad bit short. 7.4 overall.

Lilojame - WOW, very nice! Post card quality, in my opinion - the only distraction is the way the water interacts with the castle - to the naked eye it almost seems like it slopes downwards. Nevertheless a very good picture - 8.9 overall.

Here's mine - inclement weather on Runway 27L.

The_Hutt:

I have to say, very good animation!  :thumbsup: However, one drawback is that the rain is moving, but the plane is just suspended there in midair. Makes it seem unrealistic. This other point may not be correct, but I'll say it anyway... The number of planes lining up on the taxiway might be a bit too much.

Overall score: 7.5 out of 10
Don't trust the teapots. It's dangerous!

iamgoingtoeatyou

Lilojame: Wow! How did you do that snow on the roof? Do you have a tutorial out there?

Simpson

Hi,
The_Hutt, nice picture, I'd give you 8/10
Here is my picture:

:)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

PLT

Hi all,

First of all, Simpson, you made a very nice picture, you deserve a 8.5/10!  :thumbsup:

Then, I need your help in commenting this picture. I've been thinking about starting a MD of this city, and before I start, I actually want to make sure everything looks nice. So, here we go:

Please be critical, and mention me some things I can improve (If anything ;))

See you!

rooker1

Simpson,  Right away I see the minimize mark, that should have been cropped out of the pic. Next I'm not a big fan of the check mark path in the middle of the field.  Would have been nicer if it began some where of importance or at least off the view of the pic.  I do how ever like the green border and the single house in the feild, very nice touch.  The plop river looks well placed as well as the flora around it.
I give this picture a 7 out of 10.

The_Hutt, ohh an animated pic.  The rain effect looks pretty good and some what believeable.  I like that you were able to catch an airplane in action.  The overall layout looks very impressive.  The few downfalls are the minimize mark not croped out, no border and the sound walls not fitting together properly and having a different base texture.  If you were to go into LE and find out the base texture of the airport set, you could easily change the base texture of the sound walls.  If you need some help in this area, drop me a PM and I could help you out.
I give this picture a 6.5 out of 10.

iamgoingtoeatyou, I know that Lilojame is having some RL situations right now, but I'm sure when she returns she will explain it all for us.

Simpson, again.  ;) Very nice picture.  The minimize mark is still showing and the mix of the two different types of water doesn't look good in my opinion.  I know that the house fits on Peg's stream but maybe some way of mixing the plop water with Peg's stream in that area would have looked better, especially if you could have hid some of it with trees.
I give this picture a 7/10.

PLT,  First let me say, please start a MD.  All MDs are welcomed here and that is the best way to get advice and improve your game.
Now for your picture....the game's back ground is showing at the top of the pic, the minimize mark should be cropped out, a border added to finish the pic off.  The grid is still on, that should be turned off as well.  For a very good pic/high score it would be better if all land was occuppied by something, in the foreground on the right I see a very large empty block.  The biuldings that you chose to plop look very good and the parks you placed around them is a nice touch too.
I give this picture a 6 out of 10.

And here is one from me.... ;)

Call me Robin, please.