• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GRV II-Challenge No 1

Started by mrbisonm, March 16, 2009, 07:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

So how do you like the Grand Opening? I thought while creating this challenge, why not make it "Grandiose" at the same time. I couldn't resist. ok, let's get serious now.

First of all and very important for Everyone: Always keep an eye on the Challenges thread. Here we will make the changes if necessary and inform you of the new challenges. Also important final notices etc will be posted in this thread.

[CHALLENGE No 1

««« It was on an early sunny monday morning that the Governor Freddy Bison came into his office in Capitalia with a great idea and said to his secretary: "Get me Hank from the Transportation commission and Pete from the GRR (Grand River Rails) on the phone, we will build roads and rails in the Grand River Valley this week."
Of course, the Governor is me, so you know. ;) »»»

Welcome to the first Challenge of the GRV II with the name of BORDERTOWN. Lynn, my wife, and I are honoured to have so many of You with us this year. We hope you will enjoy this Challenge Play as much as we did last year on ST with GRV I. Let's have some fun all together.

I recommend that you all read the Rules and Restrictions and maybe even have them printed out for futur reference. We will not give you any chance this year, a broken rule is worth some points that we take back. Be advised!

If you have any comments or questions about this challenge, you may ask for help below. We will be pleased to explain and help. Lynn will come in only a few times in the next days, She has come down with a serious Cold this past weekend and needs some time to recover. If you have any other questions or comments not concerning this specific Challenge, post them in the Introduction and Discussion thread please.

You will have exactly until Wednesday Midnight (NY time) March 25th, 2009 for this time only to play the challenge, and then it will start again on Friday the 27th for a period of ten days for the second challenge and so on.
We don't think that you will have any problems to fulfill this first demand, because it took me only one hour and a half of play to do mine. If by any chance you cannot make it, let me know before, we will take it into consideration without any penalities, because there's only one weekend involved this time. But inform me before the deadline.

Challenge: Everything in RED is a MUST DO in this thread!

A.  You are asked to build a road/street only (any NAM/SAM pieces are allowed also) through your region. It has to be started on Tile A (see picture below) and finished on Tile M and be connected to the neighbors......And you must go through the region only in one thread, meaning no intersections or turn offs at all. Not one! And besides that you will have to build it on 6 citytiles of your choice (including A+M) in one draw.( no more, no less) Make it a logical choice where to place them.
Easy you think...Ha, I thought so too (and darnit, it was my idea), but the hick (challenge) is that you will have to keep this Road/Street in your cities and tiles in the same place for the rest of the challengeplay, and we will keep an eye on it, asking once in awhile a region picture in trafficview while your region is developping if we have any doubt that you changed something. Great.....got a headache now? Good. Me too.

So, you better think it over very well, maybe even twice and really get into mayorly planning first before building, think of your city you will be building in concern of this, the rails, highways, canals and whatever is to come etc, because you'll be stuck with these roads/streets and rails forever. A wrong decision might give you grey hair later. This road/street will be the *mainway* through your region for the first half of this challenge, just like in real life when the first roads were built and everything else was built around it.

(Hint: Make this the Principle/Mainstreet of your first town)

B.  Once executed, we want to see 1 picture in whole regionview, while in trafficview of your work. If you will add a logical explanation (not a necessity though) why you've done it like this (planned theory and explanation etc) and show us your talents of Mayoring the region, we might throw in one Bonus point for those who really got it perfect to our liking (Only 1 Bonus point each for 3 Players only). Then we want 1 picture within the citytile (in mayormode) in view 1 (being able to see the whole tile) of one of the following tiles only where you created that road/street. B or E or H. Your choice. This road/Street will bear the number 10. (route 10). That goes for eveyone. Others can be numbered or named  to your choice. (There is a reason for this later on).

C.  Since this is not all that easy as you think....lol...We want you to build rails in your citytiles too. Again only one rail-line (only regular rails) from a point A to a point B  without any intersections or turn offs. This time You have the  choice of the beginning and the end, both connected to the neighbors, but need to show us in the same picture as described in Section B, where the road/street is shown. The rails have to be going through 6 citytiles only, including the two that are connected. This will be the mainrails of the region. Further rails will be entirely to your choice. Again make sure that your choice is logical and done according to future constructions. And yes, bridges are allowed in unlimited numbers for both roads/streets and rails.

Put it this way: Since the Governor (me) asks the mayors to build it and also finance it (allowing you a money cheat), these roads/streets and rails will stay federal/national property. That means you have to live with them once placed and shown in your update and only, only the goverment's office (lynn and me) can give you permits to change their route or diplace them in the future.

To show this week in your First update:

1.  1 Picture in Regionview under trafficview with your roads/streets and rails clearly showing (no paintjob/photoshop)
2.  1 Picture of either one tile B, E or H in view 1 with your road/street.

So I heard that last year it was quite easy  to play in our sandbox with some plastictoys? Well, we had 7 months to think and talk about the Challenges to come and we changed that a bit, getting more serious into Mayoring now. You like it?

I am sure you will have lots of fun with our new Challenges, not just plopping things and taking a picture like last year, I thought it would be more interesting to see some real mayoring and creational talents. So, you see, it might not be the one who makes the nicest and most beautiful region pics with organized buildings, bridges and public services etc this year, but the most logical decisions on how, where and when to build can earn many points. Think like a real Mayor. We have a whole box of Bonus points ready to give away. Of course, these will not be published or announced until the last 3 Challenges.

We wish you all the best for this first and "easy" challenge and remember, use all your head to build the roads/streets and rails.

Once you have finished and updated the Challenge Nr1 and shown the pics in your thread, you may start building other things on one (1) citytile only of either Tiles B, E or H.(only 1) Your imagination is the limit, but respect the Rules. You may even write a story and show pics of your work after you finalized the challenges above with or without a story, but no points will be given for outside of the challenge updates. That will be only for your and the readers enjoyment. You can build whatever you like to build, even if it is only a small powerstation and a trainstation to start off with or fill the whole map, but be careful not to be too invasive in the beginning. (Hm....was I talking about Bonus points again?)

I would like you to know that Lynn and I will be the only one that give the points. We will judge your creations to our logical sense and this with our experience. We have travelled all over the world many times and have seen many civilizations and their way to build things. Judging you lower than you expected does NOT mean that you have less talent. What might not be beautiful and well done for us does not necessarily mean it's  not beautiful and well done for others. Maybe they love it. Taste is something individual. Keep that in mind please, because sometimes our decisions may be dissapointing and discouraging to you.
So don't worry if you get low points, we still love you and think you are brave to have participated in this challenge. Please don't start a serious competition, we are here to have fun only and not to win. Winning will ONLY be a tiny Bonus, just like a small tap on the shoulder, which doesn't bring you anything more than others. Please remember that.

Have Fun

lynncanox & mrbisonm.

One last thing for those who didn't join or did not have the time to join us yet and give everyone the same chance:  You will have until Friday midnight, March 21st, 2009 (NY Time) to join the challenge in a hurry and give your name to BarbYW, our secretary General in the Joining Thread with one condition though, to have finished the challenge above (Challenge No 1) by the date given for this Challenge. Can you make it?

Good luck everyone and enjoy.

Get Ready...........on your mark.........Go!

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

soulchaser

AAAH....great. Sounds really challenging. Will start right now.

Just one single question. Ok, there are 2.  ;)

Is it possible to put a name or a theme or something to our pics, what would mean they're photoshoped, but not essentially.
I'm talking about frames, tilenames, etc, that are not really on, but preciseley next to the pic. I don't want to change any important info of the whole pic.

By the way: Are pix out of the Region Census Tool legal, too?

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

Quote from: soulchaser on March 16, 2009, 09:30:32 AM
AAAH....great. Sounds really challenging. Will start right now.

Just one single question. Ok, there are 2.  ;)

Is it possible to put a name or a theme or something to our pics, what would mean they're photoshoped, but not essentially. Of course! Photoshopping is allowed as long as we can clearly see the features and that it is taken from a SC4 picture made from the game. You may add names, themes, even clouds, sunbursts, give it a different aspect, anything.
I'm talking about frames, tilenames, etc, that are not really on, but preciseley next to the pic. I don't want to change any important info of the whole pic. No problem!

By the way: Are pix out of the Region Census Tool legal, too? Yes, it is part of simcity such as RegionCensus.

Good luck

mrb

Edit: Everything you do to make your pictures nicer looking will only be for the readers, yourself and for the basic presentation, but not be considered as to giving points. Maybe, and just maybe we might throw in one Bonus point for all that were done with paint or photoshop, only one point for all pics for each player, but this, Lynn and I haven't discussed yet.

soulchaser

Ok...I just referring to:
Quote from: mrbisonm on March 16, 2009, 07:50:49 AM

1.  1 Picture in Regionview under trafficview with your roads/streets and rails clearly showing (no paintjob/photoshop)
2.  1 Picture of either one tile B, E or H in view 1 with your road/street.

So...you don't want extra pix that are not edited!

Recently Iced

jmyers2043

Hello MrB. You start by saying:

QuoteIt has to be started on Tile A

Then you say:

Quoteview 1 (being able to see the whole tile) of one of the following tiles only where you created that road/street. B or E or H.

And again you say:

Quotestart building other things on one (1) citytile only of either Tiles B, E or H.(only 1)

My question is: If I start in tile A and if it is totally up to me how I get to M, then how does tile B come into play.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Splime

The way I understand it, you can get from A to M anyway you like, but you need at least 1 picture from B, E, or H, and need to start building in one of those tiles. Also, considering the location of B, E, and H, it is impossible to not go through them, unless your road has a teleportation mechanism.  ;)

BarbyW

It depends on the route you decide to take so it could go through B, E or H but obviously it will go through one of them. When you start to build your first city it can be in any of those three tiles but no picture of that is required for the challenge.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

mightygoose

am I right to assume, that once the two challenge shots are taken i can then build additional road/rail in my chosen BEH tile?

and as a sidenote is there a particular reason the letter J was missed out in the tile labelling?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Rayden

Just one quick question, for roads and rail the only rules I see it's "no intersections or turn offs", so, I assume that bridges and also tunnels are allowed. ;)

mrbisonm

Ok, let me get that picture taking and uploading clear here.

You are allowed to photoshop (or whatever program you have) how and what you want with your pictures in any way (no limitations) , as long as the pictures you upload can be recognizable that they were taken ingame of SC4. Adding of flowers, bldg's, roads, fences, people, cars, ships, creeks, rocks etc and other simcitystuff etc with any paint program is NOT allowed, meaning that only what actually was in the game at the time the picture was taken is to be seen on the picture. But you can add lighting, lettering, logos and everything else that cannot be found in the game itself on, beside, above or under your picture. Make your pictures big enough, so we can see what you have to show.

No other pictures than those 2 mentioned in the Challenge are allowed to be in this update! If you want to show more pictures of anything else, you can show them after you have finished and uploaded your challenge, but only in your regular thread and not in this Challenge No 1 thread.

Here is just an example of what you can do with a paint program. You can see what I want you to see (the building and the garbage around it) is very well visible to us, no other things have been added to the pictures, like cars, boxes etc that weren't already there in the game. We can still see that this picture comes from the game. I made it a little extreme for this demonstration.

Sorry, but I'm no good with photoshop or paint but I hope the picture question is clear now..
(soulchaser Wenn du irgendwelche Schwierigkeiten noch hast es zu verstehen, ich kann es dir in Deutsch erklaeren.)

BarbyW, I know that I said I want a picture in tileview 1 on either tiles B, E or H You choose where you want the road to lead through, but You have no other choice to go through one of those tiles, unless you dig a tunnel through your whole citytile, and that is not allowed ;)

The road/street has to be started on tile A with a connection to the neighbor (no matter what side) and then go through one of these tiles (B, E or H) to finally end up in tile M to connect again to the neighbor. And we want to see a picture in Mayor mode of that tile where you ran the road/street through. That is for the challenge.

Now concerning where you continue to *freebuild* your city is again limited to tiles B,E,H, but you are only allowed to freebuild on 1 (ONE) of these tiles, where the road/street is, I recommend.

mightygoose, Yes, you can (after you finished your challenge) go outside and play....eh....I mean build roads/streets/rails in the chosen citytile (either B,E,H)
Ok, ...lol...you're the second one who asks me why I left the Letter J out for the tiles, to be honest.....I hate that letter in pictures. Nothing important and nothing will come later because of it.

Rayden, Yes, all bridges and all types of tunnels (mountain, river etc) are allowed

Remember folks, I asked for two (2) pictures Only in YOUR Challenge 1 thread that you will open under your Board. Don't show me dozens of others please. If you want to show more pictures, just throw them into your regular thread that you started your region on. Challenge threads are for challenges only. Keep it so, it will help us not to get confused and it will take us less time and labour to go through your challenge missions. Thank you.

Fred

Edit: some corrections made...mrb
Edit by Barby to correct number of pictures required.

Splime

3 pictures? I only counted 2: A region traffic view, and a zoom 1 pic of B, E, or H.

What's the third?

mrbisonm

Quote from: Splime on March 16, 2009, 01:10:19 PM
3 pictures? I only counted 2: A region traffic view, and a zoom 1 pic of B, E, or H.

What's the third?

Dohhh!! :o....I got carried away there....lol... You're right, only two (2) pictures asked for, sorry, error is corrected now. Thanks for letting me know, appreciated. :thumbsup:

I hope it didn't scare the heck out of you.....lol :D

mrb

metarvo

Do I free build in the B, E, or H tile before I take the two pictures for the challenge, or must I wait until I have taken the two pictures (region traffic and zoom 1 BEH)?  In other words, should either pic have anything besides the road or rail built?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

jmyers2043

QuoteAlso, considering the location of B, E, and H, it is impossible to not go through them, unless your road has a teleportation mechanism.

Bzzzzz. Splime gets two points deducted from his first round score for not thinking outside the box.

<edit> removed the rest of the post as I just discovered that I was over analyzing the challenge.

<2nd edit> And as I type the above edit ... Barby responds ... so now the whole thing is cleared up for me but confusing to all reading.  &mmm    :D 
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

BarbyW

Jim, you don't have to go through tile B. You have to go through at least one of tiles B, E, or H. Once you have your road then you are allowed to choose one of B, E or H to do some more building.
Fred, I understood exactly what you meant from the start but was trying to point out to Jim that you do actually have to pass through one of those three tiles to get from A to M

XiahouDun

Small question about the comment we have to start and end the network in A/M. Can the road or rails connect to sim nation, or do you want to see the end piece?
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

soulchaser

I'm somewhat confused now:

You want us to post the pix for the challenge right here, not on our own "Challange 1"-Boards.

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 16, 2009, 12:56:25 PM

Remember folks, I asked for two (2) pictures Only in the the Challenge 1 thread. Don't show me dozens of others please. If you want to show more pictures, just throw them into your regular thread that you started your region on. Challenge threads are for challenges only. Keep it so, it will help us not to get confused and it will take us less time and labour to go through your challenge missions. Thank you.

Recently Iced

BarbyW

In your challenge one thread. I shall post mine and then you can see how I am doing it.

wouanagaine

Small question, do the rail and the road need to use the same tiles from A to M or are we free to choose 4 ( excluding A/M ) tiles for roads and 4 others tiles for rails?

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

mrbisonm

Quote from: metarvo on March 16, 2009, 01:38:36 PM
Do I free build in the B, E, or H tile before I take the two pictures for the challenge, or must I wait until I have taken the two pictures (region traffic and zoom 1 BEH)?  In other words, should either pic have anything besides the road or rail built?

Like it says above in the challenge, you need to do the challenge first, meaning building the roads/strees/rails and then take the pictures. What you do afterwards in one of the tiles B, E or H is up to you. You' re not forced to build anything at all, besides the roads/streets and rails. Only if you wish to start building something, you may, but ONLY after your Challenge mission is posted in Your Challenge 1 thread. We don't want anything else on your pictures than the roads/streets and rails.

jmyers2043, it says in the Challenge that you may run your highway through any tiles, wether it is B, E or H. You decide which one, but you have no choice to choose one (or several) of those to get to the tile M, now don't you? I am not limiting you to go through tile B, you can choose tile E if you want to tile H, or even tile E and H. Up to you.
That is why I chose one of these choices to be seen on a closer view, to see if you're good in planning or not. ;) hint

BarbyW, thanks for helping....ouffff.....I think I have to rewrite all the other challenges to really make sure that they are all well understood. I am not that good explaining things in a simple way, especially in english.

XiahouDun, as it says in the challenge, you must connect the road or rails to the neighboring region. It doesn't matter on which side, as long as they are connected in tile A and M.

soulchaser, Sorry for not being precise there, it has been corrected now. I meant that you should show it in YOUR Challenge 1 thread, that you will open under your board and name *Soulchaser-Challenge 1*, or something similar.

wouanagaine, it doesn't matter if or if not the rails are on the same tiles as the roads/streets, that is up to you. Just try your best to make it a logical position.

I would like to add something here.

IMPORTANT

I said in the challenge that you may get a Bonus Point for explaining why you choose the route of your road/street and rail. We will allow you to add one (1) more picture to your update explaining us how and why you decided to run the roads/streets and rails your way. This picture can be a simple plan on paper, diapositive, a newspaper clip, a video, a blueprint, a topographical image, a picture from the game heavily photoshopped or anything else, no restrictions at all!

mrb