• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Whitefall, Iridar - update 3 is now up. 16-12-09; p20.

Started by Shadow Assassin, March 30, 2007, 11:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoba

Yay! Good to see another wonderful update up!

I like that Whitefall is getting some larger roads now, and I think that they all seem important to the city's development. Looking at the region view Exmouth really is far north. It took me a minute to find it on the region map. But, anyway, Exmouth might have to be my favourite town because a) There's no dirty industry, which is cool sometimes, but wouldn't seem to fit in here (for me, of course), and b) The bridges coming in to the town and the central rail station. It really is a nice little orbital town.

Also, I was looking through some old MDs at Simphoni, and I found Dynasty and The Savannah Way there, and of course I just had to read them. Dynasty I found very interesting because of the almost complete lack of custom content and how beautiful you still made it; almost all of Dynasty's pictures were still intact! The Savannah Way, on the other hand, only had three updates surviving.  ()sad() Although these three updates were very good, and it was the first time I saw the use of your distinctive curving style that was very prominent in Ensenada.

Sorry for going a little off-topic, but it was a great update, Daniel, and I can't wait for another one.

Ethan

Reply #400 and welcome to Page 21!

Battlecat

Looking good!  I like your use of the gravel roads in low wealth subdivisions!  They really do look more like concrete anyhow, and they are quite suitable for subdivisions that probably shouldn't have fancy sidewalks! 

art128

Quote from: Sciurus on December 16, 2009, 12:33:18 AM
Australian suburbs look very much like American suburbs, it's the same style of construction

Well not really, if you look at some American suburbs you'll see that it's much more squared than what SA did here. American suburbs don't have a lot of diagonal street, as they were built (and are build) in a "check table" plan.. That means almost all the streets are parallels..  ;)

Anyway that's a fantastic update there Daniel, I really like how we switch from suburbs to farm fields, that is really sweet and nicely done. The second picture is by far my favorite, you did a nice job with the two height of the suburbs, and with that train line that goes "underground". Also nice work with the road and avenue layout, it looks quite realistic, me thinks !  ;)

Although, the only thing I don't really like is the farms lands, not the farm fields themselves, but the flora you've added there which show a bit too much the edge of the farms for my personal taste, I think with some fillers and/or trees/flora to hide that the result will be much much better. Anyways as I said it's only my opinion !  :D

Ah and the map is also quite beautiful, I like the way it's not presented as the other maps we can see though the forums, this one isn't "flat" as the other and that's a good point. i think it took a lot of time to make that map, right ? By assembling each general view of each cities and then making the proper map into photoshop, wow ! Also the names of the inlets, lakes or creek are quite authentic, great touch SA !

Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

joelyboy911

First of all, I want to congratulate you on your triumphant return to this MD. Well done on a strong come-back. As this MD finds its second wind, I think it will continue to be a strong presence in the SC4D MD section. Your photoshopping is excellent as always, and the snippet of region view in the header looks really amazing. It looks like you spent a long time putting that map together as well, and the results really show.

However, there have also been some aspects of your last few updates that I haven't liked as much. I'd like to begin by saying that I think there are 2 categories that MDs and CJs can be divided into: Region View Diaries, and Zooms 2-5 Journals. Region view diaries, are those that (in my opinion) use a lot of angling roads and quick diagonal shifts to produce, in region view, a nice illusion of fractional angles and a really realistic view. However, this comes at a cost. Doing this makes the region view realistic, but in close up zooms, you have a city with a whole lot of diagonal-shifts and not-very-realistic corners in roads. You certainly have gone for this approach, as have others such as CSGDesign and JBSimio. In my opinion, you have sacrificed much of the city's close-up beauty in this process. But as I mentioned earlier, your regional view is really quite spectacular.

I also have to disagree directly with battlecat. I don't think that the gravel streets are appropriate in that locale, especially because they encircle a block's worth of wall-to-wall commercial development. Perhaps some low-wealth suburban townships might not have a paved foot-path, but I am fairly confident most built-up areas in the western world have a paved foot-path next to the road. Certainly, the block of shops could use a paved footpath, and a sealed roadway. I wonder if you were trying to simulate a chip-sealed road. I think that SC4 could definitely use some chip-seal for guys like you and me. Perhaps we could work together to develop a new SAM texture set. 

That brings me quite tidily to the last nit that I have to pick (I'll admit I'm nitpicking a little). In the block of shops you have 3 buildings that have grown twice. In my opinion, thats not very nice to look at, and certainly is not very realistic. I'm not sure if you need more plugins, or could have demolished and waited for a different building to grow, but its certainly preventable. Also, those two identical servos next to each other... :D

Sorry for being so critical, good luck for the continuation of Whitefall, Iridar. I know I'll be back!
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

warconstruct

Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

dsrwhat316

My first visit here and I must say you definitely live up to the hype! Amazing work  :thumbsup: &apls

Suburbs, airports, seaports, golf courses, cemeteries, etc. After reading through your entire MD, I can definitely say you run the gamut very well! Now starting over, I'll be able to follow from the very beginning and see how this turns out!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

bat

Fantastic new pictures of Iridar! And great to see you back updating!
Wonderful work on your city! Looking forward to more in this year... ;)