• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bus usage poll for NAM Traffic Simulator

Started by z, December 13, 2009, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the level of bus usage in Simulator Z for your cities?

Too low (U.S., Canada, etc.)
About right (U.S., Canada, etc.)
Too high (U.S., Canada, etc.)
Too low (Europe, etc.)
About right (Europe, etc.)
Too high (Europe, etc.)

z

I am trying to calibrate the ratio of bus usage to car usage a bit better in Simulator Z.  This poll has two sections; the top section is for Simulator Z users who live in (or build cities of) the U.S., Canada, and other countries where big cities tend to be spread out and the main mode of transportation is by car.  The second part of the poll is for Simulator Z users who live in (or build cities of) Europe and other parts of the world that tend to rely more on mass transit.  I would expect these two sections of the poll to give different results.  At this point, I might use these results to adjust the base bus usage in Simulator Z, or maybe not, depending on the results.  But they will be most useful for the customization features that are coming.  In any case, none of this will lead to more versions of Simulator Z; no need to fear that.  $%Grinno$%

It would be very helpful (though optional) if in addition to voting, you described how you used buses in your city, specifically, approximately what proportion of your cities are covered by bus routes, and how far apart you place your bus stops.  For now, changing those two variables is the best way of increasing or decreasing bus usage in your city.

sumwonyuno

I think you can speak for me on my region  :D.

I picked just right (for US, Canada).  The ratio of car to bus is higher than real life, but I feel it balances out because of the population density difference between the game and real life.  Now, only if we could do something about all those pedestrians, because that mode is way out of line compared to real life.

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

z

Quote from: sumwonyuno on December 13, 2009, 10:24:39 PM
Now, only if we could do something about all those pedestrians, because that mode is way out of line compared to real life.

For reasons I don't fully understand, the pedestrian traffic in your Downtown city is much higher than I've seen anywhere else.  Nevertheless, the next release of Simulator Z contains a change that should reduce that at least somewhat, specifically in your case.  I'll be very interested to hear what you find.

wouanagaine

I'm using buses a lot as an 'easy mass transit', so the more I can put, the more I'm happy

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

catty

I haven't voted cos I'm not a

QuoteSimulator Z users who live in (or build cities of) the U.S., Canada, and other countries

or a

QuoteThe second part of the poll is for Simulator Z users who live in (or build cities of) Europe and other parts of the world

Had there been a middle choice I would have picked it, when city building I do like to have a lot of buses, usually feeding into a railway line or to a ferry terminal.

For more information on public transport in New Zealand see here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport_in_New_Zealand

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

zombones

While I usually destroy my cities and start over again and again and again to experiment differntly, I have a lot of bus coverage, and bus stops are usually within a 10-tile radius of each other.