• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ben's Top Ten +10 @ SC4D

Started by benedict, January 03, 2012, 07:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeguy

Wow, I didn't realize I'd jump from being off the list completely to number 6, especially since my MD is still relatively new. (Not even a month old yet.)

Also, congrats to Framly for making it to number 1, and everyone else who made it into the list! &apls &apls

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

bat

Congrats on being the sixth winner, Framly!
Again great list, Ben.

benedict

Hi, apeguy. The formula applied to MDs for Ben's Top Ten is mostly reflective of popularity over the previous week (with some influence from the previous 3 weeks). It is possible to enter BTT in an MD's first week of creation - see below. And well done last week and this week.

Hi, bat. Thanks again for your comment and support.

This week we have something different - Rondnoir held on to the number one spot!

Waldey enters at 8 in its first week - well done. Eloaria is new at 9.

Have a great week, everyone!

]

Ben's +10

Greenacre by threestooges
9988's MD's
Windows on the World by kelis
Capporth City by bat
Totori by Dantes
Taigan by ElPodol
AntigOne's Project by badsim
Med. Inspirations by OI.S / Benoit
The Winding River Project by mrbison
Kromeritz by robercik
Click on the banner to celebrate!

Dantes

Hi Ben,
I want to ask my MD no longer be assessed.  :thumbsdown: I give a lot of effort and I am not enough a mere statistic.
I'd rather make my own comments and an opinion and no competition.  $%#Ninj2

Thank you.  :)

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: Dantes on February 03, 2012, 12:14:08 PM
Hi Ben,
I want to ask my MD no longer be assessed.  :thumbsdown: I give a lot of effort and I am not enough a mere statistic.
I'd rather make my own comments and an opinion and no competition.  $%#Ninj2

Thank you.  :)
With all due respect, I think you're missing the point of BTT and taking it a bit too personally. Ben's rankings aren't based on his personal opinions of MDs; in fact, they have nothing at all to do with the perceived quality of an MD. These rankings are simply a measure of activity in the MDs - how "busy" they are. It's not a reflection on how "good" your MD is, or on the amount of work you put into it. And it certainly isn't meant as a comment on your personal worth, in case you're interpreting it as such. :)

As for "competition", that's simply a matter of attitude. Just because the rankings exist doesn't mean that you have to try to be #1. If you'd rather not compete, all you have to do is not treat the rankings as a competition.

I hope you found this post encouraging. I'm only trying to be helpful. :)

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

noahclem

Ben also gives a lot of effort into his lists and I think it's been a great contribution to the site. Other MD authors also put great effort into their work. Their is no escape from being categorized as "Recently Published", "Best Seller", or "Classic", though those are categories you've moved rapidly through. Ben himself is the ultimate judge on this but I don't think it makes much sense to avoid being classified here either.

Dantes

Hello you,
I take the statistics personally.  :) I would not only be competitive in Totori with other players.  :-\  My MD is small, fine and is less about the big MD. 
I will ask for your understanding and respecting my desire not to appear in the statistics.  :thumbsup:

Dantes

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: Dantes on February 05, 2012, 01:29:58 PM
Hello you,
I take the statistics personally.
You don't have to; again, it's a matter of attitude. In my experience, it's not a good idea to take things personally that aren't meant to be personal. It just leads to unhappiness. The good thing is: you can choose for yourself how to react to Totori's ranking. It's entirely up to you. :)

However, if you really can't get over your ranking, there's an easier solution that doesn't force anyone to do anything: You can simply not visit this thread. If you don't know your ranking, it can't bother you. Besides, it's not like anyone is going to post it in Totori.

Again, I'm only trying to make you feel better. I mean you no harm. :)

(One final thought: There are over 60 active MDs here, which means you ranked higher than about 75% of all MDs. You even outranked my MD. There's a bright side to almost everything. :) )

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Ol.S / Benoit

Rondnoir is in a nice shape these times ! :)
Congratz all, I'll try to comment the MDs as soon as I can... And also post an update for Med Inspirations, maybe !  &mmm
Great work again Benedict  :thumbsup:

Dantes : You should not take the statistics personnally... It does not make any sense...
Also do not forget that this is a rate between the MD owner posts and others posts, so it doesn't mean your MD is not good or not active. Your MD is a good exemple as long as you post a lot of updates, so maybe you have less comments/updates than others, but are statistics so important ? Your MD is great, big, and one of the most active here... We all know you give a lot of efforts, most of us told you about that in your MD thread, and I think that you should just consider this point, but not statistics.  ;)
Anyway, keep it up :)
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

dedgren

Folks, and in particular Ben (benedict) and Dantes, I'd like to join in Zack's (woodb3kmaster) initial comment here, which has now been followed by similarly insightful posts by Noah (noahclem) and Ol.S Benoit.  I used to, way back five and some years ago over at Simtropolis, do a similar "ranking" of City Journal activity there.  After 3RR settled here at SC4D, our great friend Dustin (thundercrack83) picked the concept up and ran with it for many years in the form of "The SC4Devotion Mayor Diary Statistics," which more or less had the site's semii-official blessing, as an area on the Mayors' Diaries subforum was created for it.  RL keeps Dustin from keeping up the statistics these days, and so Ben's "Top 10" list has, as a similar effort, now been placed in that area.

Whether it was/is Dustin, Ben or me, the rankings in the various threads have never expressed an opinion.  They are simply based on a straightforward calculation of views, posts and other activity.  Some folks, me included, find them fun to read from week to week just to get a quick handle on where things appear to be going on.  That does not mean, though, that I base my personal opinion of any MD on how busy or not busy it is.  I see updates in MDs I consider wonderfully deserving of accolades in the form of huge numbers of posts and views go seemingly missed or ignored.  On the other hand, some offhand comment by the author of a MD will every so often generate a huge and, in my mind, completely disproportionate response.  Zack's advice is sound.  If you find the "Top 10" list upsetting or you feel Totori isn't getting its due there, just don't read the thread.  Use the time to work on your MD, for that matter.  I am a huge fan of Totori, and it is on my personal "list," but I am not in the list business these days.  I can bet, though, from the reader comments you see there, that there are a lot of folks who agree with me.

The bottom line here is that everyone involved is making a contribution to the site and to the community.  Yours, Dantes, is a great MD.  Ben's is an interesting and fun summary of recent activity in the site's MDs.  I would hope that you can see fit to just allow Totori to garner the posts and views that it does for its own sake, and whether it winds up on on Ben's list in a given week or not doesn't really matter.  Authors of Mayors' Diaries, as I have noted elsewhere, are only competing, at the end of the day, with whatever personal standards the author chooses to set.  Yours in Totori are at the highest levels, and your achievements there show that you are serious about exceeding them.

Zack, a K-point for your timely and astute comment.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

rooker1

I couldn't have said anything any better than has already been said by everyone above.
The only thing that I'll add is that, Ben please excuse dante from the list from now on.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Dantes

Hello you,
the stupid Google Translation has made ​​a mistake.   :angrymore: I mean I do not take personal statistics. I ask the Totori not found in these statistics. Alternatively, other like to appear in the statistics.  :)
To me it's not about to be particularly active in a competition with others. I just want to have constructive criticism, and regular readers. I do not want to appear in the statistics with my MD.

Thanks

Dantes

benedict

Quote from: Dantes on February 06, 2012, 10:51:52 AM
I do not want to appear in the statistics with my MD.

Thanks

Dantes

Quote from: rooker1 on February 06, 2012, 09:37:29 AM

The only thing that I'll add is that, Ben please excuse dante from the list from now on.

Robin

No problem, Totori won't be listed from now on. If you change your mind, Dantes, send me a message and I will add you back.

Thank you, Ben. - Robin

benedict

Hi, Dantes, woodb3kmaster, noahclem, OI.S / Benoit, dedgren, rooker1. Thanks you all for putting across your various points of view. While I personally think that Totori is excellent, and has made appearances in the Top Ten (and +10), the list is meant to be fun or at least interesting, and if someone is not interested in taking part I am fine with that.

On with the show! And this week has another first for BTT @ SC4D - a CJ has debuted at number one in its first week - well done to Empire Bay! Congratulations to RickD on a second number one CJ.

I always like the weeks with the 3 different stars represented. The region of Pirgos is back at 9, and Tales at Teatime is new at 10.

Ben's +10

Waldey by carlfatal
Tarkusian Cities by Tarkus
The Deltan Empire by apeguy
Commonwealth of Marathon by thundercrack
Kolbrów by kbieniu7
Taigan by ElPodol
The Winding River Project by mrbison
Söderland by Flatron

rooker1

Nice list and congrats to RickD!!
&apls

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Kergelen

Great job Benedict!

Congrats to RickD for his two MD in the Top Ten &apls

Links to SC4 websites

benedict

Hi, rooker1. Thanks as always for stopping by to comment.

Hi, Kergelen. It doesn't happen very often, but it is always impressive when a brand new cj tops the chart.

Our new number one is Siilijoki!

There are two re-entries this week: Waldey at 7 and Med Inspirations at 8.

Ben's +10

The region of Pirgos by io_bg
Corsica by Yan077
Santa Barbara County by RickD
Kolbrów by kbieniu7
Neutral Republic of Cassandra by DaveN
Windows on the World by kelis
Republic of Goverland byPiterdaw1

threestooges

Well done Noah, and I love the picture that was chosen for the background here. That was a personal favorite from that update. Thanks for your work on these lists Ben.
-Matt

benedict

Hi, threestooges. Thanks for your support and comment - one of my favorite parts when compiling the lists each week is choosing the image. And welcome to the Top Ten this week.

Siilijoki spends a second week at number one.

There are two new entries this week: welcome to Zouérat Islamic Federation at 8 and Greenacre at 9.
Welcome back to former number one Corsica, returning at 7.

Ben's +10

Eloaria by Kergelen
Tales at Teatime by TheTeaCat
Red Sea by ricardomiranda
Dragon Islands Cities by Skimbo
The Winding River Project by mrbisonm
Alba Ceann nu Dheas by rambuckel
Hong Kong & Okatabawashi by Tokugawa
Neutral Republic of Cassandra by DaveN
Realistic Cities for Dumies by smileymk

RickD

Thanks for the new list, Ben.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)