• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Shadow Assassin: Any chance I could get the actual pngs for your textures? I have assembled a team (2 people  ;) ::)) and we're going to attempt to make our own textures, we just want to base them off of yours.

Pretty please???   &cry2
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

The REAL Tolsome

@Tarkus: hi, sorry, when I ask to much ^^...but I think about that and I have to know must I do curves? and wider curves?
Must I make the RHW so? http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1323/elrhwki3.png
or each line seperate (?), because the normal Ground RHW can we do seperate and not like the Maxis highway together. Or I make two versions? one like the Maxis elevated highway and one, that you can seperate each of the two streets (each line seperate).

-----------
hmm...here a list, say me when something is missing!
curves (?) exit to...road street street (SAM) avenue highway ground rhw oneway road passings over/under HSR monorail street (SAM) street road railroad avenue highway rhw oneway road el. rail something else, like SLR? TLA?
ground rhw - elevated rhw connection ground highway - el. rhw c. el. highway - el. rhw c. el. avenue - el. rhw.

When you have street textures in .psd or .png/.jpg on your computer, can you sent it to me? Would be faster for me.
-----------

And a little nice "addon" idea
half-elevated-rhw or something in this way
The HERHW is only 8 m high, not 15 like the normal standart elevated rhw/highway/avenue/etc.

with the HERHW we have 1000 more possibilities for connections and we can build bridges under highway, el. rhw, el. avenue and HSR, monorail and so on.
And you can go from ERHW to HERHW and than to normal RHW or from RHW to ERHW and than to the highway and more and more and more ^^

like the big highway connections/crossings in the USA, with bridges up and under each other, more combination, more reality.

OR

we make only the HERHW, because we have an elevated highway and an elevated avenue, so this would be the perfect puzzle piece (the HERHW) that is missing to build elevated roads under other elevated roads. ;)

------
and tarkus your pm box is full :)

Shadow Assassin

An interesting idea, Rechi... it'd be great to see this in-game. ;)

You can separate the RHW... the network's not like the default Maxis highway in that it can be separable from each other - it isn't a two-tile network.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

MandelSoft

HERHW... Hmmm... I like the idea. The normal NAM overpasses are WAY to high! Higher than the house where I live in which is only 7m high.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

deathtopumpkins

But aren't the normal NAM overpasses so high to realistically scale them with the cars in the game? If you watch trucks go under one, you'll see that they're realistically scaled to provide clearance for the truck. Real overpasses have some space between the tops of trucks and the bottom of the overpass.
I just think it would be too low to look right.

freedo50

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 26, 2008, 07:13:37 AM
But aren't the normal NAM overpasses so high to realistically scale them with the cars in the game? If you watch trucks go under one, you'll see that they're realistically scaled to provide clearance for the truck. Real overpasses have some space between the tops of trucks and the bottom of the overpass.
I just think it would be too low to look right.

Buddybud made some underpasses a while ago that were 6m tall, and they look fine actually. It doesn't sound like much compared to the 15m we're always talking about, but in RL terms it's still something like 22 ft.

Fred

mightygoose

well i know buddybud toyed with half height elevated pieces as well as half height sunken pieces and those looked fine with automata running around....

but that was all lost in a hard drive disaster, but it is possible and automata as you can see is definately not an issue, i dont know about whether you would still need subway or not but hey.... theres your proof of concept study, and the possibilities if combined with the MIS are well, ......think about it.......
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

j-dub

Wow, I didn't know buddybud actually made off ramps, where did you find that stuff?

Going back to the dashed versus solid lines...
Whats this I hear about going back to double solid lines? I know function before cosmetics, but personally I like the RHW-2 now with the dashed lines, because it had made the RHW-2 not a duplicate network, kind of like when the ANT used to be used, it had the same texture as the road, when the first RHW2 texture was introduced, that was great, and then the version with the MIS, that had even more details. It would be a shame to see the innovative stripped lines go.

MandelSoft

Errr... J-dub, this is about European textures, and solid lines are common in Europe for this system.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

JoeST

my god... I knew buddybud was good but that is GOD LIKE! ish...

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

deathtopumpkins

I think some of those ARE too short. I know that in real life the NAM overpasses are 45 ft tall, but to me they look right.
Make HERHW if you like, I'll probably still find some application of it.

That is some pretty cool stuff though.

I would like the RHW2 to have a dashed line IF there was a way to control where the dashed line would appear. The dashed line signifies a passing zone for both directions, and approaching a curve, in almost all situations you CANNOT pass, but the RHW2 has a dashed line right up to the curve. Same goes for intersections. Usually a street is okay in a passing zone, but RHW2XRHW2/Road/Avenue/RHW4 would have a no passing zone for a few tiles on each side, which I have to switch back to road for.

The big thing is that an RHW2 WITH solid lines STILL LOOKS DIFFERENT than the road, so is NOT a duplicate network.

The REAL Tolsome

I think it is like an duplicate network ( a little bit ), because they look like so much like the road.

So, why not a Single System?

like this here:

Here a texture sample/idea:

debutterfly

Rechi...Take a look at the NWM thread...It's in Tarkus' signature at the top of each page.  ;)

Gaston

Quote from: mightygoose on May 26, 2008, 08:14:09 AM
well i know buddybud toyed with half height elevated pieces as well as half height sunken pieces and those looked fine with automata running around....

<INSERT PICTURES HERE>

but that was all lost in a hard drive disaster, but it is possible and automata as you can see is definately not an issue, i dont know about whether you would still need subway or not but hey.... theres your proof of concept study, and the possibilities if combined with the MIS are well, ......think about it.......

This is some of the koolest stuff I have ever seen.

---Gaston

MOD EDIT: Try not to quote a load of pictures please Gaston, it just makes the thread more difficult to read - Fred

Sorry about that.   Just got very excited.
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Ennedi

Alex, sorry for being off-topic, but please remove some old messages from your inbox, I'd like to contact with you regarding official SC4D business  :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

blahdy

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 26, 2008, 11:38:19 AM
I think some of those ARE too short. I know that in real life the NAM overpasses are 45 ft tall, but to me they look right.
Make HERHW if you like, I'll probably still find some application of it.

Based on PropScaling matrix calculations[1] to scale satellite photographs of a real-world tunnel system for Maxis/SC4 road widths, a more realistically appropriate height of a vehicular tunnel is between 5.5 and 6.5meters height, with overheight clearance budget of about 5 meters.

There is nothing wrong with buddybud's tunnels.  16 meters full height is very tall when you are trying to be realistic for SC4 road dimensions, and mathematically is a proven fact.

Propscale example for 6 meters tunnel heights:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1551.440
http://216._93_.240_.36/~blahdy/stex/big-dig-tunnel-portal/cs-sa/propscale_map45-1.jpg

deathtopumpkins

OK, you've got me. I agree that 6 m is appropriate. I was saying that 15m was better visually for the game on the grounds that I thought that the cars were overscaled. If that height works for your big dig project (which I have had bookmarked for a while--it's wonderful), then it would work for elevated pieces.
Debate closed.

The REAL Tolsome

@Tarkus: thank you, so I can sent you the models in .3ds?  I listened all pieces and ideas what I want to do, but I must know, if this is complete okay and I can do the Elevated RHW only 8m high for more realistic.
The Maxis elevated highway and all other elevated peaces are exactly 15.504745 m high. Think about that in a real town. >.<

And is 600 polygons the absolut limit? So more than 600/650 would be really to much?
And you make puzzle pieces?

@all: What you think? Is it better I make only 7,5m high for more realistic and so I can do bridges under the normal highway and avenue and we have more combinations.

Rechi

nerdly_dood

I REALLY like the HERHW idea!  The standard elevated networks are too high, and I would like to see an elevated network at half the height as an overpass system in-game.  I usually use the hole-digger pieces for interchanges, but occasionally I use a standard elevated/ground transition, even though they seem too steep - the HERHW could solve that problem.  I have a slope mod, i can't remember exactly which one, that i have had since before there was one available for RHW, which helps with the steepness problem. 
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

deathtopumpkins

I vote for 8m. But 7.5 would work too.

Is there a slope mod compatible with RHW? I currently have the "BRF_TunnelAndSlopeMod" (I 'borrowed' it from someone's plugins  ;)) and I have to lay road first for RHW, but I'm not that happy with the slope mod at all, as the rail slop is TOO gentle. It takes a whole medium city tile with switchbacks to go up maybe 100m.