• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: KoV Liberty on December 07, 2011, 12:16:40 PM
How about a piece that makes it seem like the RHW is going underground, but you can drag out an invisible pieces of highway from that point until you reach another above ground emergence piece.

Like a draggable L(-1) RHW?

Guess what? Those were already considered, but that was during RHW v1 (Can't remember the exact version offhand). (Version 1.7)

Besides, that's what FLUPs are for, but the FLUP pieces, not the entrance/exit pieces, are designed to work for everything: AVEs, RDs, AVE-Tram, Tram, Street, and RHW. From my perspective, it seems to be easier to just make a one-size-fits-all puzzle piece than to make individual draggable networks for every applicable network whose paths you can't even see.

-----
Update: I found a more concise source: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/topic/4381-real-highway-rhw-development-and-support-thread/page__view__findpost__p__1205563

Quote from: Will12 (Simtropolis)Back in Version 1.7 there was talk by Tarkus about possible Ultra Wide Networks (RHW-12, RHW-14) how come this never happened.Also what happened to Underground RHW?

Quote from: Tarkus (Simtropolis)The FLUPs system basically does what the original URHW proposal was intended to do.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

noahclem

You seem to be asking for draggable FLUPs and more RHW/FLUP entrances. Both would be nice and the entrances are under construction.

io_bg

The FLUPs are actually functional. You can even drive in UDI through them.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: KoV Liberty on December 07, 2011, 12:16:40 PM
I think are useless because they cannot go through developments.

Quote from: io_bg on December 07, 2011, 01:51:14 PM
The FLUPs are actually functional. You can even drive in UDI through them.

I think what he means was this: You cannot place zoning on top of FLUPs, unless it's a lot item with an overhang.

-----
Quote from: noahclem on December 07, 2011, 01:06:40 PM
You seem to be asking for draggable FLUPs and more RHW/FLUP entrances.

What I do know about Project 0E is that it has no reserved IID ranges for any draggable underground RHW, only for L1 to L4, with additional widths, so the chances of an L(-1) RHW or URHW is pretty much zero.

-----
Also keep this in mind: FLUPs are not meant for just car traffic. They're also designed for dual-networking (Tram-AVE), and just trams. The actual FLUP pieces, not the entrance/exit pieces, are specifically pathed to accept car, tram, and ped paths.

So which is easier: Creating a one-size-fits-all piece that can be used for pretty much everything except being the transition between ground to FLUP, or RULing individual override networks for each and every applicable network?

Counting all available and possible Street, AVE, RD, OWR, TLA, AVE-Tram, Tram, Pedmall, and RHW totals to more than 30 networks; That's a lot of work for a network that's pretty much invisible, and just imagine what would happen if there were pathing errors: Since all the paths are underground, diagnosing any sort of pathing error would be horrific.
<INACTIVE>
-----

KoV Liberty

Ah, okay then. What I've been upset about is that, I make lots of airports, and some have a tunnel going under them at runways, terminals etc. The terminals aren't a problem because I can just overhang, but the ground textures are a problem. I want to use the FLUPs but there is the texture differences. Especially with the taxiways and runways. :/

Alex

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: KoV Liberty on December 07, 2011, 07:14:09 PM
Ah, okay then. What I've been upset about is that, I make lots of airports, and some have a tunnel going under them at runways, terminals etc. The terminals aren't a problem because I can just overhang, but the ground textures are a problem.

In that case,... Did you know that there are six FLUP pieces that can have a customized texture? The trick is knowing how to make the textures, as well as assigning them to the right IIDs.
<INACTIVE>
-----

KoV Liberty

Did not know, actually, is there a tutorial anywhere on how to get them in there?

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Tarkus

There is.  Section 14 of Chrisim's "How to build Functional Underpasses" tutorial deals with it.

-Alex

mike3775

Quote from: Tarkus on December 08, 2011, 10:53:57 AM
There is.  Section 14 of Chrisim's "How to build Functional Underpasses" tutorial deals with it.

-Alex

I feel like an idiot.  Here I have been racking my brains trying to figure out how to get a mass transit line down the center of a highway, I never once thought of tabbing through every single road/highway, ave/highway puzzle pieces until I clicked that link which led to a post by you saying where the RHW FLUPS were. 

One of these days I am going to just sit down and not play the game but plop every single add on in menu's to see what they are  lol

kj3400

Quote from: mike3775 on December 08, 2011, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on December 08, 2011, 10:53:57 AM

-Alex

I feel like an idiot.  Here I have been racking my brains trying to figure out how to get a mass transit line down the center of a highway, I never once thought of tabbing through every single road/highway, ave/highway puzzle pieces until I clicked that link which led to a post by you saying where the RHW FLUPS were. 

One of these days I am going to just sit down and not play the game but plop every single add on in menu's to see what they are  lol

I've actually done that. Very useful :P
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

jdenm8

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Wacky Worm

Mind = Blown. Took me a few looks to figure it out.

teddyrised

triplennn86

So wait, what does that reworked MHW mean?

Death50

Two Laned Flex Flys would be perfect, I mean after all the new add ons I figured out how to use and access with the newest RHW release, I personally think only Two Laned Flex-Fly's are missing. I can imagine how hard they must be to make, if they're not already in works.

But just felt I would throw that out there as I come from So Cal and almost all of our interchanges have 2 lanes fly overs because of all the traffic (even then backed up).

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Death50 on December 09, 2011, 11:32:26 PM
Two Laned Flex Flys would be perfect, I mean after all the new add ons I figured out how to use and access with the newest RHW release, I personally think only Two Laned Flex-Fly's are missing.

L2 RHW-4 FlexFlys have been considered and have already been prototyped. The one problem is that you can't have a 90-deg curve for RHW that's 4x4 because it would be too small; You'd have to either go with a larger footprint for a 90-deg or just use two 45-deg curves instead.

Quote from: Death50 on December 09, 2011, 11:32:26 PM
I can imagine how hard they must be to make, if they're not already in works.

And I thought ground-level FlexCurves would be even harder...  ::) ::) ::)
<INACTIVE>
-----

Gugu3

Wow jdemn...is that the famous RHW4c discussed some posts ago? :thumbsup:
About 2lanes flexy flies..they would be very useful but I think you won't see them until project 0E is over...maybe some work on them is in progress though... $%Grinno$%

jdenm8

Quote from: triplennn86 on December 09, 2011, 10:20:07 PM
So wait, what does that reworked MHW mean?

Essentially this is a completely overridden Maxis Highway. Not a RUL override like the RHW, that's not possible on dual-tilers, it will completely replace the Maxis Highway. It will (eventually) override nearly all of the components of the Maxis Highway System.
It won't be a part of the RHW itself, but it will complement it and depend on it.

I have a bunch of ideas of how to handle some of the idiosyncrasies of the Maxis Highway networks and I'll reveal those as I get further into developing the mod.

As for the C2/D2 Type FlexFly Puzzle Pieces (I think that's what they're called), there has been a proof-of-concept made, but no usable in-game version to my knowledge. They're mainly waiting on another, larger, project (Not Project 0E) to be started so they match up properly.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Blue Lightning

I'm working on bringing FLEXFly to 0E specs, so anything after that is going to have to wait till I'm at least done with it.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project