• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jondor

Quote from: Kuewr665 on February 23, 2012, 07:48:03 PM
What height is the elevated 8S?

Here's a slide from the recent RHW seminar over at ST with the planned heights of all the various RHW networks:
http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3307934

The 8S in particular will eventually have L1 (7.5m), L2 (15m) and DD (15m and 22.5m) variations.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Tarkus

The one in the image specifically is an L1 ERHW-8S. 

I am also happy to report that as of last night, I fixed the code on that setup and it seems to be stable in the basic configuration--all three "possibilities" (L1-over-L0, L2-over-L0, and L2-over-L1) are working.  It should be a simple matter to port it to the ERHW-10S (and an ever-so-slightly more complex matter to port it to the ERHW-6C and 8C), and I can begin in earnest on ultra-stabilizing the wider networks now.  The RUL2 file is going to go through another big "growth spurt". ::)

The P57-era RHW has also officially entered an "Alpha Build" phase, so we're coming along, slowly but surely.

-Alex

apeguy

This is great news to hear, the ultra-stability, multiple-height networks, monolithic NAM all starting to come together. Keep up the excellent work. :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Haljackey

That's some significant progress. Glad to see you guys are cracking the SC4 code to create these wonders. My how far we've come.

Reece202

How will transitions between height levels be handled? Are they going to be puzzle-pieces, or can you do draggable transitions like for NWM?

jdenm8

Puzzle Pieces until we can get the Disruptor tech working the way we need it to.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

epicblunder

I've just been browsing the last couple months of work in this thread (I have to stay out of it or the drool levels will short out my keyboard) and I just want to say: OH. MY. GOD!

This is looking phenomenally great folks, keep up the good work and I can't wait for release!

gn_leugim

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 25, 2012, 08:19:38 AM
Puzzle Pieces until we can get the Disruptor tech working the way we need it to.

Disruptor tech?? never read of it, and I quick search I made found nothing :\ What is it?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: gn_leugim on February 25, 2012, 01:44:16 PM
Disruptor tech?? never read of it, and I quick search I made found nothing :\ What is it?

If you've ever tried the DragTrans method used for the NWM transitions and tried it for the RHW or Street network, you'll find that they'll automatically connect.

A so-called "Disruptor" is a way to get around that.

EDIT: It was discussed in last week's RHW seminar, the log for which can be found here: http://pastebin.com/YwwAgvF2
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on February 25, 2012, 02:02:27 PM
EDIT: It was discussed in last week's RHW seminar, the log for which can be found here: http://pastebin.com/YwwAgvF2

And this slide from the seminar vaguely shows how a Disruptor operates.  I almost ended up sticking that into RHW 5.0, but there were still some kinks to work out, so I'm planning to revisit it once the really hardcore RUL2 stuff on the RHW is completed.

Oh, and this happened last night:

-Alex

mike3775

Quote from: Tarkus on February 25, 2012, 02:59:28 PM
Quote from: GDO29Anagram on February 25, 2012, 02:02:27 PM

And this slide from the seminar vaguely shows how a Disruptor operates.  I almost ended up sticking that into RHW 5.0, but there were still some kinks to work out, so I'm planning to revisit it once the really hardcore RUL2 stuff on the RHW is completed.

Oh, and this happened last night:

-Alex

Oh that is freiking sweet.  I cannot wait  :)

Paul 999

I am impressed of the slide presentation, really good feathers! :thumbsup:  But i read nothing about the RHW tunnels from Dexter. Is this really not included in the new version of NAM? The addition of the tunnels, will completed the network and make it perfect for my.

Tarkus

Quote from: Paul 999 on February 26, 2012, 01:04:37 AM
I am impressed of the slide presentation, really good feathers! :thumbsup:  But i read nothing about the RHW tunnels from Dexter. Is this really not included in the new version of NAM? The addition of the tunnels, will completed the network and make it perfect for my.

We're still a fair ways off from release.  Right now the focus is on getting the P57 RUL2 revamp of the draggable content (and the multi-height expansion groundwork) in place.  We'll likely be revisiting Dexter's stuff once that's well in hand--we haven't forgotten about it, but with some interesting implementation stuff in the works, it's more feasible for us to wait until a few other things are in place to work on it.

-Alex

gn_leugim

I see I see :)

now, I was long expecting the new NAM monolith, but after seeing these seminars, I am dieing for it  :o :o

MandelSoft

Well, expect that it will take a few months before all developments for the NAM 31 are complete. Before it's done, patience...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

ivo_su

Everything seems to go quite well with great pace, but I'm curious when it will start work on the splitter between elevated networks? Eventoalno will they be something like a secret weapon (dragable), and would require so many entrance / exit ramps (250) in order to support this multi-level system. It is hard to imagine how much work ahead for you guys.

Tarkus

Well, the one thing that helps: once the models for something are done for one elevated level, they're effectively done for all elevated levels.  All we have to do at that point is run it through cogeo's SC4 Model Tweaker.  That's the great thing about having a uniform specification in which modularity is a core concept.

Splitters between elevated networks won't happen until someone makes models for them, however.  The paths and all the rest of the modding usually transfers over very easily between ground and elevated . . . but as the ground level versions are just textures or flat plane models, that side doesn't transfer over to the elevated networks.  Pretty much as soon as we have models for an elevated version of a ground-level piece that matches the ground-level specs, we can get it in place.

Of course, we could immediately port them over . . . but there'd be no barriers or understory on the model, which I think most of the folks who are wanting these new elevated pieces would have a problem with. ::)  That's part of the reason the ERHW-4 took until Version 3.0 to come out--we had an ortho prototype . . . but the curves and ramp interfaces, etc. had no barriers for some time, until someone who could model them (Swamper77) came in and made them. 

Edit: Oh, and this was the product of last night.  Took a lot of tweaking to get this just right.  The RHW-8S kept wanting to turn into a 10S and vice-versa.  I've now begun getting similar base setups on the C-type networks in place, and then, it's time for adding adjacency stability on these bad boys.

-Alex

gn_leugim

Quote from: mrtnrln on February 26, 2012, 02:26:49 PM
Well, expect that it will take a few months before all developments for the NAM 31 are complete. Before it's done, patience...

I am aware of that. meanwhile I'll keep drooling with the teasers  &smrt  :D :D

About the models, if it helps to do the raw models on gmax/3dmax, I can lend an hand provided I am of the specifications and textures.

if it has to be done on Reader, well, there I don't know how to model   :-[

Tarkus

Quote from: gn_leugim on February 27, 2012, 01:26:41 AM
About the models, if it helps to do the raw models on gmax/3dmax, I can lend an hand provided I am of the specifications and textures.

if it has to be done on Reader, well, there I don't know how to model   :-[

Typically, the "modern" procedure we're using involves both 3ds Max and the Reader.  The Reader part is generally just standard modding stuff that we do all the time, so it's not too much of a problem on our end to handle that as long as the model is to spec.  The Reader is capable of importing/exporting .3ds meshes, so that's how we're typically getting stuff in/out now (rather than the BuildingMill mess in Gmax), and then 3ds Max (or similar) is used for the actual modeling.

Basically what we're looking for:

• Is true-3D and in .3ds format.
  • Under 500-600 polygons
  • Matches with existing ERHW content

I'm happy to supply the base ERHW ortho models in .3ds format and requisite textures for ground-level counterparts, too.

-Alex

noahclem

That's great if you're willing to contribute gn_leugim! Elevated models have long been a problem and I'd love to see your contribution!

And Alex, awesome work with the wide elevated RHWs  &apls &apls &apls