• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RMIP-3 Large Airport Edition vol. 1

Started by Gwail, February 12, 2009, 04:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superchad

ok good, will there be shoulders without the lines?

Sebbe99

I think there are some little problems with the shoulders, the side lights on the shoulders and with the blast pads.

It looks like the side lights are mounted on the shoulders. As Voltaire said the shoulders are 100% optional but if you don't place them you don't have any sight lights at your runway - and this would be unrealistic.

Another point is that yellow side lights at the last 2000ft of the runway are not very common e.g. in Europe. For the shoulders and the sight lights you could make an compromise - creating the following types of shoulders:

1. blank (without stripes) shoulder without any lights
2. blank shoulder with white lights and red lights for displaced threshold areas
3. blank shoulder with white/yellow lights and red lights for displaced threshold areas
4. striped shoulder with white lights and red lights for displaced threshold areas
5. striped shoulder with white/yellow lights and red lights for displaced threshold areas

The 3rd problem are the blast pads. Blast pads are also not very common in Europe - even some very big European airports (Paris CDG, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Zurich) don't have blast pads. It looks like you can't build thresholds without any blast pad (pieces). If you are going to build a threshold without a blast pad you've got a little remaining piece of a blast pad at your thresholds and this looks a bit ugly and unrealistic.

Sorry for being so fussy, the rest of the project is just awesome!  ;)

j-dub

QuoteSorry for my poor English (I'm just a German student) and being so fussy, the rest of the project is just awesome!  ;)

Up until that last sentence, I did not even realize that was the case. I don't know about Europe, but your English looks like it could of typed up by anyone from the U.S. or Canada. I am no runway engineer, but I can actually see what you described in my mind.

ShadeSlayer

Quote from: Voltaire on May 28, 2011, 03:59:08 AM
That's up to Gwail in the end; but at present all of the runway exits feature shoulders with turf only.

There are very few reasons IRL to pave within the runway OFZ, because everything but navaids is prohibited. No aircraft parking stands, for example. But I'd be interested to see what your situation is, in case I'm misuderstaning you?
I am recreating LAX in SC4. If you check out their runways, many of the taxiways have an asphalt shoulder instead of a green one.

Sebbe99

Quote from: j-dub on June 01, 2011, 02:04:03 PM
I don't know about Europe, but your English looks like it could of typed up by anyone from the U.S. or Canada.

Thank you. It may look good but I used some translation programs (not Google translator) for the grammar and also some informal words in this post  ::)

Voltaire

Wow, lots of replies this week - thanks for the interest everyone!

Quote from: superchad on May 29, 2011, 09:56:26 AM
will there be shoulders without the lines?

This is certainly possible, using the existing RMIP-2 blank-pavement tiles.

Quote from: Sebbe99 on June 01, 2011, 11:37:54 AM
I think there are some little problems with the shoulders, the side lights on the shoulders and with the blast pads.
Sorry for being so fussy, the rest of the project is just awesome!  ;)

That's OK, we're fussy too ;)  OC-150/RMIP-3 has been in development for over 2 years because our expectations for the final package are very high.

The edge lighting systems are incomplete, and we will be changing the placement scheme to allow all the things you mentioned. Before Gwail went on hiatus (to be with his newborn daughter), we were discussing this exact issue. I think the answer will be placing the lights on separate lots, plopped in the grass area next to the runway. That's going to allow total customization of the light system, just as you're suggesting.

With the shoulders, there's already blank pavement available (in four colors) with RMIP-2. The edge lights will 'float' above anything next to the runway, so anyone can place whichever color they prefer.

The blast pad is also 100% optional. That's been in all the photos so far, because the red-green threshold lights are attached to it. When those lights become a separate item (like all other edge lighting), the blast pad will be truly independent.

Quote from: ShadeSlayer on June 01, 2011, 04:24:38 PM
I am recreating LAX in SC4. If you check out their runways, many of the taxiways have an asphalt shoulder instead of a green one.

OK, now I understand... for example, the taxiways between 6L and 6R. I'm not sure if Gwail wants to take time for it... for myself, remaking the RMIP-2 pieces (anything beyond the runway exit is RMIP-2) wouldn't be easy. The templates were corrupted, and I'd need to reconstruct them first. That's a large time committment and it would have to wait until other things are done.

______   F  L  Y    A  C    J  E  T  S   ______
The finest SimCity Aviation LOTs BATs and MODs

ShadeSlayer

Quote from: Voltaire on June 04, 2011, 09:56:42 AMOK, now I understand... for example, the taxiways between 6L and 6R. I'm not sure if Gwail wants to take time for it... for myself, remaking the RMIP-2 pieces (anything beyond the runway exit is RMIP-2) wouldn't be easy. The templates were corrupted, and I'd need to reconstruct them first. That's a large time committment and it would have to wait until other things are done.
Ah, yes. I remember now... your computer crashed or something didn't it? Green should suffice for now (besides, the terminals won't be perfect either).

Sebbe99

Quote from: Voltaire on June 04, 2011, 09:56:42 AM
The edge lighting systems are incomplete, and we will be changing the placement scheme to allow all the things you mentioned. Before Gwail went on hiatus (to be with his newborn daughter), we were discussing this exact issue. I think the answer will be placing the lights on separate lots, plopped in the grass area next to the runway. That's going to allow total customization of the light system, just as you're suggesting.

With the shoulders, there's already blank pavement available (in four colors) with RMIP-2. The edge lights will 'float' above anything next to the runway, so anyone can place whichever color they prefer.

The blast pad is also 100% optional. That's been in all the photos so far, because the red-green threshold lights are attached to it. When those lights become a separate item (like all other edge lighting), the blast pad will be truly independent.

OK, I think this is probably the best solution for these things.

Keep up your great, fussy work!  :thumbsup:

ivo_su

Hello Gwail
I want to ask if there is any development project RMIP-3 because this release really is delayed much longer. I know that your personal life is busy following sections of your beautiful child but is still working on RMIP-3 at all and if so, only you know dealing with this. Thank you hopefully soon be ready with this much awaited release.

Ivo

Gwail

Well, I don't want to give too much hope, but there is a flashing light at the end of the tunnel ;). I'm starting to look for the free time for sc4 again, I do hope it will work, 4 months of absence is enough for me.
My misc works thread:
GWL workshop

Jack_wilds

Thats a :thumbsup:  Gwail... clearance to go

I'll be standing by...  :) :D

Jack

ivo_su

I hope there are no more obstacles in front of you  and bring  the project  to its  end. And you really felt your absence in these long four months. I can not wait  to see the results of  your work.

Ivo

SPygkeren

hey, is this project dropped? ()what()
it's quiet here :-\

[Delta ²k5]

Quote from: SPygkeren on June 26, 2011, 01:17:59 AM
hey, is this project dropped? ()what()
it's quiet here :-\

Quote from: Gwail on June 24, 2011, 02:02:56 PM
Well, I don't want to give too much hope, but there is a flashing light at the end of the tunnel ;). I'm starting to look for the free time for sc4 again, I do hope it will work, 4 months of absence is enough for me.

Maybe you see that there was an answer just two days ago to your question... &Thk/(

MR.Y

How are the Runways at night? And will it give a update of the taxiways, cause what I know they have yellow lights at the line, and I miss them in SC4...

tag_one

GMT

Quote from: MR.Y on July 09, 2011, 05:16:11 PM
How are the Runways at night? And will it give a update of the taxiways, cause what I know they have yellow lights at the line, and I miss them in SC4...

there're several nighttime pictures scattered about the previous pages.
also, taxiways have green center line lights, not yellow.

Speaking of lights, will there be a change to the blue taxiway edge lights so they are, instead of blinking, steady lights like they're supposed to be?

... really, it is. I swear.

Voltaire

There are yellow, green and blue lights!

Virtually all standard FAA/ICAO airfield lighting is part of the RMIP-3 design, including:
- uni-directional yellow bulbs, at the runway hold lines
- yellow+green bi-directional bulbs, between the runway and hold line of acute-angle runway exits
- blue omni-directional bulbs, on all taxiways

RMIP-2 is being updated and re-released so all the taxiways have steady blue bulbs, and green centerline bulbs. There will be no blinking lights anymore. The overall effect is quite different from the Maxis blinky-lights, especially since the 2-sided bulbs change color (or dissapear) based on the viewing direction.

______   F  L  Y    A  C    J  E  T  S   ______
The finest SimCity Aviation LOTs BATs and MODs

ivo_su

After completion of RIMP-3 and its installation  what will happen with  files from  RIMP-2. Will I need to  be uninstalled or not. And if so what will happen to the already existing  airports  and runways  with pieces of RIMP-2?

- Ivo

GMT

Quote from: Voltaire on July 13, 2011, 09:24:12 AM
Virtually all standard FAA/ICAO airfield lighting is part of the RMIP-3 design, including:
- uni-directional yellow bulbs, at the runway hold lines
they are flashing, right?

Quote- yellow+green bi-directional bulbs, between the runway and hold line of acute-angle runway exits
finally the exit taxiways get their lights

QuoteRMIP-2 is being updated and re-released so all the taxiways have steady blue bulbs, and green centerline bulbs. There will be no blinking lights anymore. The overall effect is quite different from the Maxis blinky-lights, especially since the 2-sided bulbs change color (or dissapear) based on the viewing direction.
that sounds fun. But also like a lot of work to implement into the design as I can't think of any maxis effect that offers this

Quote from: ivo_su on July 17, 2011, 11:39:25 PM
After completion of RIMP-3 and its installation  what will happen with  files from  RIMP-2. Will I need to  be uninstalled or not. And if so what will happen to the already existing  airports  and runways  with pieces of RIMP-2?

same question. Will the RMIP3 just override the RMIP2 or will we have to update manually ingame?

... really, it is. I swear.