• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Province of Clontarf - Update 10 - Elsmere

Started by tooheys, June 01, 2007, 08:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simpson

Hi,
Very good update there your small city is very réalistic
I love the générale view, I see a lake who is very réalistic
Great RHW :thumbsup:

David :thumbsup:
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

TheTeaCat

Dave

Superb update. Full of lots of little interesting things.

I totally agree about those stairs. They just stand out a mile. as you say something to work on.

Your rest stop looks excellent in its placing now that the surrounding area have been filled. And I particularly like the gated community :D

Great rural area too :thumbsup:. Is that a stage 7 farm tucked in there I see?

BTW those farm add on area's you mentioned earlier(Newman Inc Farms BSC by Citynut) can be found on the LEX. Available here :)
Thought I'd save you the trouble of searching for them.
Leaves more time for drinking BEERTEA  ::)  :D :D

There really is not much I can find fault with Dave - great job  &apls &apls

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Jmouse

Wow, so much "classic tooheys" to see here! I still haven't figured out how you take the commonplace and make something special out of it, but I'll honor your request to keep it a secret if ever I do.

As always, the neighborhoods are fresh, green and inviting. And you've done a terrific job of curving the highway around a scenic embankment. I see that you've found yet another use for TPW, too, surrounded by another curvy road. The farms are especially appealing - peaceful, restful - and you've done a great job of placing those big rocks I've always shied away from. I never could make them look right.

I'm glad Dapto kept it's rural charm - a tall building would have ruined the whole effect, Anybody can start, but many lack your unique talent for knowing when to stop. And amid everything else, I even see a trademark tunnel - it'a all there, northing's missing, and it's a joy to see!

Later...
Joan

Pat

Dave looking real good here in Dapto!!! I think you are pulling off the maxis and custom very well and from my view point atm I dont think you should change at all.... But as you said in a future MD that might be a choice to go with the No maxis blocker... The Green around Dapto is so peaceful and it feels so real honestly...   What caught my eye the most is the gated community there and the boulders WOW!!! Cant wait to see what you cook up next!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Nardo69

Hi Dave!

Long time no see but RL was rather tough las weeks ...

I like what you did with the smooth curves for the avenue - I use them way to less (I miss the textures there ... I said it before I am an oldfashioned stubborn donkey sometimes who needs its time ... )

Great work with the RRP fences. They are no eyechatchers in the nagtive sense but it is just natural that they are there where they are if you know what I mean.

I have some problems with the trees on the rocks but the reason for this might be my cultural and geographical background (the only continents I ever hae been are Europa and Asia).

I just don't think that the street builders would have done such a large U-turn at that small lake instead of going straight between the fields and the lake (except that there have been a large habition of  for example  Bufo marinus to protect ...)

Take care my friend (And don't forget to make backups)

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

threestooges

Dave,

It has been far too long since I posted here. Great work with Dapto. The area has that signature 'rough' landscape that you do so well. Your work with the little gated community reminds me a bit of darmok's work in AVR. The RHW looks good, particularly the 11th pic (public transportation seems to be popular around there... farm shuttles?). Your work with curves to (13th pic) is exceptional, though I agree with Nardo about the path of the road in the 12th, unless there is a good story behind why it took the long way around (transportation dept gets paid by the hour or mile or something like that). The little bit of industrial development seems to have done a number on the area... I just hope there is a treatment plant nearby. Don't want to think about what's going into the fields otherwise. At any rate, great work as always, and I'll be keeping an eye on the upcoming updates.
-Matt

mattb325

Really lovely shots of Dapto

The mix of farms, industry and residential are brilliantly balanced

There's a ton to see - different street mods, boulders , open areas and trees balancing and complimenting the rock mod, curving roads hugging the slopes - in all, it is a great composition! &apls

tooheys

Replies

Diggis: The trains just take a bit (hmmm, alot) of patience.  No, thats the same ol' cricket ground but
there is a new one on the way  ;)

bat: Thanks bat, appreciate the comments.

warconstruct: Paul, thanks for the great comments.

jmyers2043: Thanks, those rocks and the terrain mod fit well together, a bit of luck really. The median
was a bit of trial and error, I'm glad you like the end result.

XoX:
QuoteI love the shadow assasin's ways!

That's good, but I hope you like mine to  :) Thanks for dropping by.

paroch: It was a little blend of everything, wasn't it. The tennis courts still make an appearance, although
I feel they will soon be superceded by some of your own  :thumbsup: And there just may be a pic of a stadium below.

Simpson: Thanks, and I do like working with the RHW, it fits in most anywheres.

TheTeaCat: Those stairs are a problem. It would be great to have a set that fits with the BSC paths
(hint, hint  ;D to anyone reading this) There is a stage 7 in there, was a few more but they got bulldozed, don't
always fit the scene. Thanks for providing that link, I couldn't find it. As a result I had that
extra TEABEER. Thanks Derry.

Jmouse: Thanks Joan. Well I guess you already know, but this is my favourite type of development,
rural/low density. I put just as much effort into the big cities, but this is where I'm most comfortable. Having
said this, after this update, I'm off to the last MEGA quad in the region and some highrise.

Pat: Thanks Pat, the Maxis content I don't find that bad, but you do have to manage it a bit. As for
the gated community, I lied. That's Dave's party precinct, no gatecrashers there  :)

Nardo69: (The road around the pond  ()what(), Dave desperately tries to make up an excuse.... :-[ )
The pond was once a quarry, well before the land was opened up for farming. The road does actually climb around
the pond, previously being dirt it was thought that this gentle climb would better suit the fully laden trucks climbing
out of the quarry. The current road follows the same course  ;)  Obvious isn't it  $%Grinno$%

threestooges: Don't worry, the farms are safe. It all flows into the river, so eat the beef and leave the fish alone  :)

mattb325 : Hehe, if it's out there I'll try to use it somehow. Thanks for dropping by.

Nerang

Nerang first made an appearance as a host city for DEVO '08. Back then, it was pretty much a stadium and not much else.
Well the stadium is still there, but the area is now fully developed. Nerang has a manufacturing base, with a couple of small
residential and commercial areas.

No surprise really, but the locals like to down a beer or two while watching the football. A couple of
pedestrian tunnels have been built under the hwy to connect the residential and commercial
area to the stadium. Do yourself a favour though, don't walk thru there the morning after the match
until the tunnels have been "flushed".

The training pitches next to the stadium. The local college runs a weekly acting course here
"Why milk a cow, when you can milk a penalty"  ::)

The local pond and a popular walking and bike trail for the Nerang's young and old. Rumour has it that
there is a family of kiwis living in the reserve, the bird that is, not the people, they are all at Bondi  ???
(Nice work Diggis  :thumbsup:)

So there you have it, one more update. Thanks for the ongoing support.

Well you know me, something new comes out and I have to play with it, so I'm working with the JPN river
set at the moment. Hopefully some pic's in the next week or two.

Until then

Cheers

Dave

art128

nice update tooheys  &apls I realy like it  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Diggis

[quote author=tooheys link=topic=1431.msg176508#msg176508
The local pond and a popular walking and bike trail for the Nerang's young and old. Rumour has it that
there is a family of kiwis living in the reserve, the bird that is, not the people, they are all at Bondi  ???
(Nice work Diggis  :thumbsup:)
[/quote]

Cheeky Bastard.  Great update.  Love the acting lessons moto.  Very Football!

paroch

Good to see some flesh around the stadium Dave.  I had similar issues in Charing Cross and Piccadilly - and must admit it is an unusual starting point!

I recall commenting on the layout of the training pitches next to the stadium before - very nice.  And I like that little pavillion/clubhouse building amongst the pitches - do you recall what it is??

Great idea with the tunnels and excellent advice about not using them until they've been "flushed".  I also like the use of Shaun's ponds - I really need to do something with them as well.  And as for the JPN walls - I've used them a little, but not diaplyed them yet, so I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Til next time $%Grinno$%

bat

A beautiful city there! These pictures of Nerang are looking wonderful!
Fantastic parks there near the highway! And the soccer stadium (+area) looks superb, too!

Looking forward to more...

CasperVg

It's been awhile since I checked in here, but you are certainly very good. I really love the picture with Diggis' ponds.  :thumbsup:
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

threestooges

Quote from: tooheys on August 31, 2008, 03:07:31 AM
threestooges: Don't worry, the farms are safe. It all flows into the river, so eat the beef and leave the fish alone  :)
Good advice there. I sort of got that idea when I went to the river for some fishing and realized that it was a little more sporting if they were actually moving... a net with a long pole worked pretty well though... moving on though, I'll take your advice on the tunnels, being the train fan that I am, I'd probably find an excuse to take it instead (no warnings about that, right?).
Quote from: tooheys on August 31, 2008, 03:07:31 AM"Why milk a cow, when you can milk a penalty"
Heh heh heh... I think I'll let that one go, but suffice to say, good one and I like seeing the area around them flushed out.

Great use of the pond pieces Dave, the pond looks amazing and very natural. Great work desgining the pieces Shaun. It is tough to tell that they are lot based; the banks look so natural.

Excellent work as always Dave, glad to see you've found a new toy to play with and I'll look forward to seeing how you use it.
-Matt

Jmouse

"Visual balance" was the impression that popped into my head when first I saw Nerang. The transport system is simple but very effective. The center of town across the middle is well offset by elements around it. And diagonally, from the lower right to the upper left, the parks/rec areas are strategically placed.

Up close, I like the way you've softened the sound barrier and railroad tracks with trees. The ped tunnels are a great idea (so is the advice!), and as for the training pitches, I'll leave that part to the locals! You had more success with Shaun's pond pieces that I've had (good job Diggis), and overall the park looks great.

The last two photos are simply a pleasure to look at - every square inch is classic tooheys! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the JPN river set. You always seems to find some clever twist on using new elements, probably because you do it before somebody pops up and says you can't do that!

It's always a pleasure to see a Balnavia update, and I hope we're "stuck with it" for a long time to come. ;)
Joan

Simpson

Hi,  :)
Your new update is very good, the général view is splendid
Great RHW and also great work on Diggis pond   :)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

dsrwhat316

This is looking very nice, Dave. I like the little lake by the railroad line and highway. Have fun tinkering around with the JPN Wall Set; I know I did  ;D Take care!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

Pat

Dave great update and I will make sure I bring the gatecrashers next time lol  :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Emperor Stormont

missed loads of updates, all absolutely fabulous.  :satisfied:

I love small town/rural scenes and the ones shown previously are great. I shall try and visit more often from now....great work

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

stewart_garden

Another great update there Dave.  What makes you think that football supporters like a beer or two?
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.