• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Province of Clontarf - Update 10 - Elsmere

Started by tooheys, June 01, 2007, 08:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ennedi

Hello Dave,

Blaxland is a great place, I like it a lot!
My favourite things are the railway :thumbsup:, lake and river and... in fact, everything  :D
I like the way you use trees, it is not aggressive and look very natural, especially on general views.
Your rock mod looks perfect on low cliffs and it is very good you don't use too much artificial walls  :thumbsup:

Don't worry about 50+ undeveloped tiles, every of them is an occasion to make something new and interesting, and with your building method it's rather an advantage you have mainly small and medium-sized cities.

I like your method of playing SC4 - you don't develop only one characteristic aspect of city building, but you are trying everything - downtowns, suburbs, farmlands, water, interesting transit networks... I think this way of playing can give most pleasure - both for you and for your visitors  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

tooheys

Replies

bat: Thanks Bat

Jmouse: Thanks for the comments Joan. Keep practicing with the TPW, it's worth it.

rooker1: Appreciate the links Robin and thanks fro the comments.

paroch: Thanks Paul and I did a more accurate count, it's 72 tiles  :o

Pat: Thanks my friend.

tkirch: Thanks for dropping by.

suplado!: Appreciate the comments.

Nardo69: Bernhard my friend, good to see you again. I'm pleased you enjoyed the latest developments here
and always appreciate your comments.

thundercrack83: I'm interested to see what I come up with to  :D Thanks mate.

Schulmanator: Appreciate the comments, thanks for visiting.

Ennedi: Thanks Ennedi, you're right with such a large region it's good to mix things up a bit. Maintains the interest and
keeps me sane  ;D

Avoca

Well Xmas is fast approaching which means I've been a little short of time to put together my weekly update.
Hopefully I'll have something for next Friday/Saturday. Until then, thanks everyone for the great comments and I'll leave you
with a pic from the new town of Avoca. Just across from Terrigal, with a small man made harbour, it is purely for leisure craft and
ferries, no industrial port here. It also features PEG's new lots which I really like.

Cheers

Dave

Pat

Dave that is wrong to leave with one pic lol...... Anyways its looking really tastey!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Nice looking small port there! Looking forward to the update...

suplado!

amazing update!! i like the pic of the marina....looks cool and realistic!!

thundercrack83

Quote from: Pat on December 16, 2007, 12:39:51 AM
Dave that is wrong to leave with one pic lol...... Anyways its looking really tastey!!!!

It's OK when the picture looks as good as that one does!

Great job, Dave! The marina looks fantastic. I can't wait to see more of it.

threestooges

Get rid of that little menu minimizing button at the bottom left and you have another pic for the photo comp. Your water mod really sets off the wood of the walkways, the ship in the middle, and the blue trim of that building at the end of the pier (looks like a restaurant at the end of a pier near here in Huntington Beach: the building with the red roof in the link). Great job on the pic and I'll look forward to more when you get the chance. Merry Christmas to you if I don't get back around here before then.

tooheys

Replies

Well the holidays are over. Hope you all had a great Xmas and New Year, and now it's time to get back to work.

Pat: Sorry Pat, it's been a bit of a wait but here are some more pic's.

bat: Thanks bat

suplado!: Thanks for dropping by again. Appreciate the comments.

thundercrack83: Dustin, thanks mate

threestooges: Thanks threestooges. I would get rid of that button if I could, but I don't have any photo software. Maybe next Xmas  :)

Avoca

So that's a quick photo update of Avoca. You will see a few of PEG's new waterside lots, I particularily like
the fire and police docks he has developed.

Until next update.

Cheers

Dave

mightygoose

my first visit here, this looks very promising will check back///
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

suplado!

really like the small marina area...looks very realistic and the small town lookis nice too...

thundercrack83

Always love your waterfronts, my friend! They look so fantastic every time! Keep it up!

See you next time!

Dustin

threestooges

PEG doesn't mess around with his lots, and you don't mess around with your cities... great peek at Avoca, I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of it. If you use windows, try using MS Paint to get rid of the box (I use it and it's pretty quick, just move up the bottom border of the pick a bit and it's done). See you around next update.

Ennedi

Hello Dave,

Beautiful harbour!  :thumbsup:
I'd like to live in one of these small houses near it (right side of the first picture) - I love to look at sea from my window (and I love seafood too  :D)
Very nice and relaxing place, also around bigger houses
Do you know which SC4 cities I like the most? These of them in which I could live and feel good - and your cities are very good for me  :thumbsup:
It's a big compliment (if you didn't know  :D), it is difficult to create such places
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Nardo69

Hello Dave!

Now that's a great place! I can almost hear the seagulls shout ... You really do have a hand for such cozy coastal places (unlike me as a child from the hills ...)  :D

Nice idea to put the new kanal pieces in the middle of two oneways! And I haven't seen as good Maxis Flora as yours for a VERY long time!  &apls

Take care (and don't forget to makew backups)

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

bat

Really great work there on Avoca! Like the pictures.

paroch

Hi Dave,

Happy New Year and welcome back!

A sign of a great MD (IMHO) is when you keep checking for updates, amd I've been checking regularly for yours - only to see that there hasn't been one :(  But you're back, and clearly been spending your time wisely, downloading new seafront lots from Peg and creating another stunning waterfront.

In the town I grew up, there was a social club attached to the catholic church called the Avoca Club, so I was scouring the update for a church with drinking facilities ;)

Terrigal harbour was superb and whilst Avoca is different it is equally brilliant.  You do have a knack of just throwing the right things in together.  Your retaining walls and sea walls are flawless and it's great to see you use different types that blend well together.  I'd be interested to know where you got the brown brick sea walls and also to know which retaining walls that sit between the two height levels you use.  It's not something I've really got to grips with yet.

My only comment is that the tennis court is so flat - surely it would look better if it had a slight undulating hill in it  ;) ::) ;)

Great work as always Dave :thumbsup:

btw, my 300th post - am I considered a regular yet??

Jmouse

Good to see you're back in the game, Dave. The holidays do play havoc with time schedules, don't they.
Absolutely love the harbor, the breakwater and the overall blending in of residential buildings on the upper level. The second photo is especially appealing with that "toohey's-trademark" hairpin curve in the foreground. ;)
Overall, Avoca is just a pleasant place to visit and soak up all the incredible details you've included. :thumbsup:

Until next time,,,
Joan

Pat

tisk tisk dave its about time you updated here i was begining to have Balnavia withdrawl symptoms.... Loved the update now i hope it aint to long to the next update..

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

pipishere

Avoca looks like such a lovely place. Very nice update :)

tooheys

Replies

mightygoose: Welcome. Hope to see you back again soon.

suplado!: Thanks

thundercrack83: Hi Dustin, thanks for the comments.

threestooges: Thanks for the advice, have downloaded GIMP 2 which seems capable of doing the job, although I'm still learning.

Ennedi: Thats a great compliment Ennedi. Just so happens that one of them is vacant, so feel free to move in.

Nardo69: Thanks my friend. As for the trees, the model is maxis I must admit, but they are used in both PEG's
trail pack and jeronij's flora packs which I use heavily. Regardless of their origin, I do like the look.

bat: Thanks bat

paroch: Paul lol and thanks for the great comments. Maybe a slight hill in the middle of the court. That way the balls
will roll back to the base line   ;) Well I am somewhat lazy  :D

Jmouse: Thanks Joan, still not quite back into it, but slowly getting back on track.

Pat: Well, it was a little bit of a wait, but here it is. Thanks for dropping in mate.

pipishere: Thanks pip, good to see you dropping by.

Avoca

R 41,640
C 11,183
I 9,641

Well Avoca has been developed as much as the local council will allow. They have ensured that plenty of bushland has
remained to retain that green look, although one of their planning decisions turned out to be somewhat controversial.

The development consent for the commercial highrise was issued in record time leading to calls of corruption at the highest level.
Here they were correct, as the council chambers are now located on the top floor of the new building.

The operater of the local whalewatching cruise thought all his dreams had come at once when two humpbacks set up home
in the manmade harbour. Hoping to capitalise on this bit of luck, he blockaded the harbour entrance to prevent their escape.
Nicknamed Big Bertha and Fat Albert, the whales were a hit with the locals but soon grew tired of their new "pen". In desperation
they attempted a free Willy style escape, but as the names suggest, this was an utter failure. Free sushi for everyone.

As you can see, they're a bit slow changing the billboards around here.

Above and below, a condo or two on the hillside. Notice the sudden change of foliage colour between photos, miraculous
isn't it  ::)

Finally a hospital with a decent view. Well not quite. Most of the offices and nurse stations are
at the front, with the lucky patients on the other side having a great view over the industrial area.

Thanks to everyone who dropped by last update after such a long break for me.

Hope you enjoy and see you next update.

Cheers

Dave