• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sims Don't Drive - Unemployment Soars

Started by itsbernie81, April 29, 2009, 08:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsbernie81

Hey there,

Apologies if this has been discussed before (I didn't notice it in my search).

I am using NAM.  The revised traffic modelling generally works very well.  However, I notice something very unusual in new cities.  At first, the sims simply refuse to drive.  They insist on walking.  If a source of employment is beyond the walking distance, the sim will give up.  If you build bus stops, the sim will try and get to work via bus, but again, only some sims are willing to take the bus.  If you build a subway line, a few more will take the subway etc.  However, the sims simply refuse to drive! ()what()  Those who can't find a job via walking or public transport become unemployed.  Over time, the city experiences rolling unemployment and the population drops and rises.

In the city I am working on now, 10 years has passed and not a single car trip has been made.  Car trips from the neighbouring city seems to be cancelled on the border.  The city has managed to reach 10,000 in population, but most are transient residents as most don't have a job.

In my experience, eventually the sims begin to drive and the problem solves itself.  However, I want to understand why sims don't drive initially, and what makes them start driving.  That way, I hope to avoid this situation ever happening again.

Thanks in advance, and thanks so much for all the greatness that is here at sc4devotion.

Best,
Bernie

itsbernie81

One thing I should also mention for clarity: I am using the Z-Simulator, on medium capaciity.

Thanks again,
Bernie

Korot

It sounds like you have a Park&Ride version of the traffic simulator installed, simply reinstall the NAM, but this time don't choose a park&ride version, and cars are bound to appear.

itsbernie81

Korot, thanks.  That did the trick!

The effect was very dramatic.

Car usage went from 0 to 5,000 in less than 6 months in a town with 16,000 (previously unemployed) inhabitants!