• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

And of course you can always use OWR FLUPs as a workaround, converting the RHW-4 to OWR in the tile immediately before the FLUP. And hopefully we can take that "rotate-for-other-options" text as a hint of things yet to come ;)

GDO29Anagram

Uh-oh,...

This isn't supposed to happen... I'm here to report it...

The readme says this:

"Alternatively, if you have the Network Widening Mod (downloaded separately), you can use the TLA-5 in place of the Avenue. The TuLEPs work the same, and the One-Way Road transition becomes unnecessary, as the auto-connect does not kick in with the Road-based TLA-5."

This is essentially what happened when I tried to experiment for myself. The paths don't work... I also tested with traffic generators, which confirmed my suspicion.

Also, I've the current version of the NAM, RHW Version 4.0.4, and NWM Version 1.0.2. (I've all the current patches for RHW and NWM... Unless there's something I missed...)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 12, 2010, 01:33:28 PM
This is essentially what happened when I tried to experiment for myself. The paths don't work... I also tested with traffic generators, which confirmed my suspicion.

Appears there were two pedestrian path stanzas going the same direction with the same ID number.  I've got it fixed here on my end now.  That path file is on the NWM end, so it'll be added into the NWM 1.0.3 update.

-Alex

itfitzme

"This isn't supposed to happen... I'm here to report it..."

I'm doing my best to duplicate things.  The issue I'm having is duplicating the dual slip lanes under the overpass.  I'm pretty sure that the lower road is a TLA-5.  I've got the set up for the turning lane matched.  I can't seem to match up the slip lane though.  The one i have clearly shows a double yellow line separating the turn lane from the other direction.  Your pic seems to have a dual slip lane section without any center lines. 

Now, I downloaded my NWM on 6/7, with the help file that says, "Version 1.0 (Beta)".   To the best of my knowledge, this is the latest as everything I've read says it all was current as of 5/06.  (logget=2376)   On the other hand, the thread includes a reference to "NWM 1.0.02"  I did a search on LEX and find no reference to it.  Hmmm... 

It is important that I clarify each detail as I go. This has been a very successful strategy for me.  It recently led me to discover that one user site  had the old version loaded for DL and identified as the new version.  (I won't mention which.  Just leave it so say that I'll stick with LEX for my DLs)

Can you identify that dual slip lane by name?  The best match I get is an "Avenue TuLEP Type A1/ Dual Slip Lane Interface". 

Where am I missing "something" regarding version 1.0.02 patch?

Oh, and while I'm at it, I have learned that I need a hosting site to be able to add in pictures.  What hosting site do you use or might I use?  Recent changes have left me "hostless"

Thanks much.

xxdita

To answer your photo posting & hosting questions, please read this tutorial.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: itfitzme on June 12, 2010, 06:39:42 PM
I'm doing my best to duplicate things.  The issue I'm having is duplicating the dual slip lanes under the overpass.  I'm pretty sure that the lower road is a TLA-5.  I've got the set up for the turning lane matched.  I can't seem to match up the slip lane though.  The one i have clearly shows a double yellow line separating the turn lane from the other direction.  Your pic seems to have a dual slip lane section without any center lines. 

. . .

Can you identify that dual slip lane by name?  The best match I get is an "Avenue TuLEP Type A1/ Dual Slip Lane Interface". 

Are you referring to the "slip lanes" UNDER the ERHW? That's the "ERHW 4 over Avenue turn lane SPUI" piece, near the end of the "AVE/RHW overpass and interface puzzle pieces" tab ring.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Tarkus

Quote from: itfitzme on June 12, 2010, 06:39:42 PM

Now, I downloaded my NWM on 6/7, with the help file that says, "Version 1.0 (Beta)".   To the best of my knowledge, this is the latest as everything I've read says it all was current as of 5/06.  (logget=2376)   On the other hand, the thread includes a reference to "NWM 1.0.02"  I did a search on LEX and find no reference to it.  Hmmm... 

It is important that I clarify each detail as I go. This has been a very successful strategy for me.  It recently led me to discover that one user site  had the old version loaded for DL and identified as the new version.  (I won't mention which.  Just leave it so say that I'll stick with LEX for my DLs)

Where am I missing "something" regarding version 1.0.02 patch?

Actually, the piece that is in GDO29Anagram's pic is not any of the Slip Lanes--it's the Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI) piece in the RHW mod, found under the Avenue/RHW Interface pieces button toward the end.  Basically, the piece has 4 entries coming in from the diagonal with dual side-by-side ERHW-4s over top and connects into the Avenue Type A1 TuLEP piece (without slip lanes).

You've already got 1.0.2, actually.  The original 1.0.0 was released on May 9th, 2010 and we updated all the files to 1.0.2 on May 16th, 2010--since you downloaded after that date, you should be good to go.  There is a notice at the bottom of the upload description that shows that the file was updated on that date--I believe the file over at Simtropolis on the STEX also notes an update.  We didn't change the Readme, however, as pretty much all the content in there is up-to-date otherwise.

-Alex

Haljackey

Looked at the sticky post today, noticed that the Tutorials section could use some updating and changes.

Quote from: Tarkus on April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM
Haljackey's RHW Interchange Guide by Haljackey
NAM Associate and Greater Terran Region author shows his secrets of interchange construction using the RHW.

The name of this turorial was changed to "RHW Interchange Guide" several months ago. This allows other users to post their own guides here as well. I would highly recommend the author send me a PM of their guide before its posted so it can be polished.

QuoteHow to make a Multi-RHW with RHW 3.0 by Haljackey
Describes methods for building a "Multi-RHW" collector/distributor system with the RHW.  Still applies to Version 4.0 as well.

Actually this was made for RHW 2.0 :P. Additionally way back there was a guide for 1.2 as well. The 2.0 guide works for 3.0 and 4.0 as stated however.

QuoteHow To Make Smooth RHW Curves (90 Degrees) by Haljackey
Shows a way of using the existing Smooth 45-Degree Curves to build a 90-Degree Curve with the RHW-4.

This was updated shortly after RHW 4.0 came out. A new method of making the 90 degree RHW-4 curves is shown through the use of diagonal RHW-4 filler pieces. The old technique was made for RHW 2.0, but still applies to 3.0 and 4.0.

Quotededgren's MIS-RHW Meanderings by dedgren.
3RR author and NAM Team member shows his experiments with the RHW mod, as well as tutorials on usage.

This is old. A lot of the meanderings here have been developed. I would suggest removing it to avoid confusion.

QuoteHow to make interchange for RHW by Danthe
Shows how to build a trumpet interchange, with very visual instructions, showing diagram of the pieces used.

This tutorial should be moved to the RHW interchange Guide and linked in the guide's sticky post's trumpet interchange section.

QuoteShow us your . . . Intersections
An immensely popular "Show us" thread with abundant examples of RHW interchanges.  A great place to get ideas and inspiration.

No change required.

QuoteA Compendium of Interchanges by mightygoose
Showcase of interchange creations, including some RHW-MIS interchanges

Mightygoose hasn't updated this thread in over two years. It is more of historic value than a useful tutorial. If you do want some history here, I would suggest linking my SC4 Archives here as well as the RHW article on the SC4 Wiki.

QuoteTarkus' YouTube Channel by Tarkus
Features videos showcasing RHW development and more SC4-related content

No change required. Videos are always a great way to show development if done right, just like the videos in your channel!  ;)

QuoteYouTube Tutorial Videos by asteconn UPDATED!
Tutorials showing how to build a variety of interchanges with the RHW, featuring audio commentary.

Might be good to mention here that they applied to RHW 3.0, but are compatible with RHW 4.0.

QuoteCSGdesign's RealHighway Mod Tutorials by CSGdesign
NEW!
A comprehensive guide (still-in-progress) giving an overview of the RHW and its various capabilities.

This guide only covers some RHW 3.0 content. Yes it also applies to RHW 4.0, but we should wait until new entries are made in order for this tutorial to be more complete.

QuoteREVIEW--Real Highway Mod by Rionescu
NEW!
A review of RHW 3.0 with a thorough look over its features.

...But we're at 4.0 now. This could be moved to a new historical section as suggested above, or wait until 4.0 content is reviewed.

Anyways hope that critiquing was useful! Keeping the RHW sticky post organized and up to date is very helpful, especially to newcomers!  :thumbsup:

itfitzme

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 12, 2010, 07:25:51 PM
Are you referring to the "slip lanes" UNDER the ERHW? That's the "ERHW 4 over Avenue turn lane SPUI" piece, near the end of the "AVE/RHW overpass and interface puzzle pieces" tab ring.

Quote from: Tarkus on June 12, 2010, 08:25:24 PM
Actually, -it's the Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI) piece in the RHW mod,
-Alex
I found it when I started to build the overpass.  Recognized it as soon as I saw it.

Now, the perpendicular entry ramps that are on the ground floor and come in (or out) from the side?  I've tried both the MIS and the OWR-1.  Neither give me the exact same thing as the picture.  The OWR-1 ends up with the one way arrows on the TLA-5.  The MIS gives me an intersection with stop lights. 

I'm also curious, as the program can be picky about the order of things, did you lay the TLA-5 first and drag the entry ramps across or did you lay the entry ramps first then drag the TLA-5 across it?  Either way, as I noted above, I still haven't managed to duplicate the intersection exactly.  I'm suspicious that your build sequence is something else entirely different. 

Can you specify the sequence to get the diagonal ramps connected to the orthogonal ramps?  I've tried a number of different sequences and pieces with no avail.

Muchas Gracias

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: itfitzme on June 13, 2010, 07:40:10 AM
I found it when I started to build the overpass.  Recognized it as soon as I saw it.

Now, the perpendicular entry ramps that are on the ground floor and come in (or out) from the side?  I've tried both the MIS and the OWR-1.  Neither give me the exact same thing as the picture.  The OWR-1 ends up with the one way arrows on the TLA-5.  The MIS gives me an intersection with stop lights. 

I'm also curious, as the program can be picky about the order of things, did you lay the TLA-5 first and drag the entry ramps across or did you lay the entry ramps first then drag the TLA-5 across it?  Either way, as I noted above, I still haven't managed to duplicate the intersection exactly.  I'm suspicious that your build sequence is something else entirely different. 

Can you specify the sequence to get the diagonal ramps connected to the orthogonal ramps?  I've tried a number of different sequences and pieces with no avail.

Muchas Gracias

Let me direct you to Haljackey's tutorial for making a SPUI --> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6843.msg324997#msg324997

It should explain everything you need to know on how to construct this interchange.

And a note regarding the "arterial" road, the "road" interchanging with the RHW: If it's a TLA-5 instead of an AVE-4 and you connect the MIS the way I did, then you'll have the same problem that I had. So right now the only option is to use AVE-4 (The default avenue). Keep in mind that, just like streets, if you try to drag RHW to only one side of the AVE-4 and repeat the same thing to the other side, they'll automatically connect into a full intersection. Connect the MIS roads to the AVE-4 using One Way Roads to prevent that.
<INACTIVE>
-----

j-dub

About the SPUI piece, unless I am mistaken, I thought another substitution was considering the OWR on slope pieces could be placed right next to avenue, then dragged to the avenue where the slope can be demolished so the T from the OWR connects to the avenue that this was a way the TuLEP can be plopped down after and you can alter the T to the OWR to be MIS instead where MIS will not go straight across because the OWR was substituting between the avenues so its two parallel networks. The only way to make point of this is I will have to provide proof of visuals later.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: j-dub on June 13, 2010, 11:07:28 AM
About the SPUI piece, unless I am mistaken, I thought another substitution was considering the OWR on slope pieces could be placed right next to avenue, then dragged to the avenue where the slope can be demolished so the T from the OWR connects to the avenue that this was a way the TuLEP can be plopped down after and you can alter the T to the OWR to be MIS instead where MIS will not go straight across because the OWR was substituting between the avenues so its two parallel networks. The only way to make point of this is I will have to provide proof of visuals later.

You mean like this?

The connection on the left is what I believe what you're trying to describe here.

Maybe it's just me but the MIS/OWR/AVE connection on the right looks better...

Now before things go off-topic here,...

I recently found out that the RHW 10 is finally getting some a-10-tion... (Sorry... :-[ I had to...) It's about time. (So I'm guessing diagonals for RHW 10 are up for eventual inclusion, as well as C ramps and D ramps...?)

Here's something that would likely have some merit. It follows the same thing that I requested with the s to c transitions that I posted some time ago:

(Once again, this image WAS edited...)
This looks like a C ramp; Perhaps a "D ramp" like setup for this would also be up for eventual inclusion...?
<INACTIVE>
-----

Highrise99

Quote from: Andreas on June 11, 2010, 02:46:11 PM
"Yes", but those tunnels will not work as expected, and naturally, they don't look exactly great. ;)
Is there a way to [make] a tunnel for the RHW?  There is no urgent need, as I have just used OWRs, but is it possible?

io_bg

Quote from: Highrise99 on June 13, 2010, 12:53:30 PM
Is there a way to [make] a tunnel for the RHW?  There is no urgent need, as I have just used OWRs, but is it possible?
Maybe you should read the FAQ ;)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Blue Lightning

I have to say I tried. And tried. And tried. And so have others.

The thing is, the game doesn't seem to connect the two ends as a path for the pathfinder. It carries automata and UDI just fine though.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

j-dub

Quote from: GDO29AnagramYou mean like this?
Very close, but not there just yet. Please see attached image, its properly pathed and the MIS does not cross the median.

remanh

You can get that by placing the TuLEP on top of a TLA-5, then demolishing the TLA until the TuLEP transition piece.  The Tulep will go away, and it will look like an AVE-4 piece that just stops at the next tile:

Then, you can drag two tiles of OWR from each side of the avenue, and connect the MIS to the OWR.  Finally, re-plop the TuLEP on what used to be the AVE stub.
What this workaround accomplishes i it allows you to have the mis connect to the OWR two tiles away from the SPUI piece, but still enables you to plop a Before the SPUI.

the7train

Does anyone have or know of a Mayor Diary/City Journal that focuses on transit, particularly the RHW?  I'd like to see what people are doing with this great new functionality!

io_bg

A lot of MDs have pictures of RHWs, mine is one of them (click of the pic in my sig) :P You can also see the "Show us your highways / interchanges" threads :)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Twinsfan14

Will there be FLEXFLY ramps for RHW-4? And also 45 degree turns for FLEXFLY?