• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

An issue with the dummy paths on the MAVE-6, causing strange commute arrow behavior, was reported on the 4th over at ST by Moonraker0.  I was able to replicate the issue and figure out that the dummy paths laying in the center of the network were the root cause, and solve it by shifting them to the shoulder. 

The corrected paths are now attached here.  Simply unzip the file to your Plugins\Network Addon Mod\Network Widening Mod folder.

-Alex

Nego

I just thought that this should be pointed out...

Welcome to page 100!!!
&hlp &dance &hlp &dance &hlp

banditp61

Will there be diagonal intersections, or diagonal AVE, MLA, OWR? I'm mostly wondering because i like to use the 4 and 5 OWR in my downtown areas, but at the same time i like to use diagonal roads in my downtown areas.

travismking

Im sure there will be diagonals and turns eventually for the dual tile NWM networks, they take a lot of time to work out, so we just have to be patient :)

banditp61

Moonraker0

Unfortunately, I'm still getting the commute arrow problem that should be fixed by the MAVE-6 path fix in a new city.  I have the zzz-MAVE-6_Fix.dat file in the Plugins\Network Addon Mod\Network Widening Mod folder.  I have confirmed that the "dummy paths" are not in the center of the avenue, but rather there are pairs of red arrows on each side of the MAVE-6 which fade into white arrows and then instantly change back to red and repeat this when DrawPaths is active.

mdawgmike

Any knowledge as to what causes the graphical glitch to occur with the NWM transition pieces?

The glitch becomes more apparent at wider zoom levels:

Sorry if this has been touched on already.  I didn't see it in the FAQ or anything.  Is there a workaround readily available?  The NWM is otherwise an awesome addition to realism outside of this one little bug.  I'm not sure what all transition pieces it occurs with, but the same thing is well-apparent with AVE4/MAVE-4 as well as OWR-2/OWR-3 (the two that I seem to want to use a lot).

travismking

that happens when the land is not flat, flatten the ground under the transition and it wont happen

Tarkus

There are also many indications it is primarily a problem with certain nVidia graphics cards.  Only one case reported has involved an ATI card.  I've never been able to replicate it myself.

I will add it to the FAQ as folks do ask about it semi-regularly.  I am still trying to figure out the best way to solve it . . . it may involve eliminating the wealthification feature, unfortunately.

-Alex

travismking

Alex, i have this problem any time I use the transitions on any non-flat ground, and have an ATI card ...

Tarkus

Quote from: Moonraker0 on December 19, 2010, 10:00:11 AM
Unfortunately, I'm still getting the commute arrow problem that should be fixed by the MAVE-6 path fix in a new city.  I have the zzz-MAVE-6_Fix.dat file in the Plugins\Network Addon Mod\Network Widening Mod folder.  I have confirmed that the "dummy paths" are not in the center of the avenue, but rather there are pairs of red arrows on each side of the MAVE-6 which fade into white arrows and then instantly change back to red and repeat this when DrawPaths is active.

Judging by your description, you definitely have it installed.  I'm currently at a loss to explain why it isn't working for your right now, however.  With it installed, I have been completely unable to replicate the issue in a new city, and in an existing test city which had suffered from it, the issue went away after letting the game run for a little while.

Quote from: travismking on December 19, 2010, 03:34:14 PM
Alex, i have this problem any time I use the transitions on any non-flat ground, and have an ATI card ...

Thanks for letting me know--that seems to suggest it's really a random sampling of cards that have the issue.  Getting rid of the wealthification is probably going to be the only option.

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: TarkusGetting rid of the wealthification is probably going to be the only option.

Isn't it possible to add the asphalt to the grass textures, or just simply trim the grass textures? I tested removing the grass textures on one of the transitions (By replacing them with blank textures), and it proves to be a rather utilitarian and least aesthetically appealing solution. Though it seems to blend in with Medium and High Density Residential and Commercial Zones.

My thoughts: It depends whether or not some people want the grass textures on the transitions or not.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on December 19, 2010, 04:38:24 PM
Isn't it possible to add the asphalt to the grass textures, or just simply trim the grass textures? I tested removing the grass textures on one of the transitions (By replacing them with blank textures), and it proves to be a rather utilitarian and least aesthetically appealing solution. Though it seems to blend in with Medium and High Density Residential and Commercial Zones.

That could be an option as well . . . I'll have to play around with it a bit.  I know that folks generally like the wealthification aside from this glitch, so it'd be nice to keep it in tact as possible.

-Alex

kassarc16

Quote from: Tarkus on December 19, 2010, 04:42:09 PM
That could be an option as well . . . I'll have to play around with it a bit.  I know that folks generally like the wealthification aside from this glitch, so it'd be nice to keep it in tact as possible.

Isn't it just low-density zones that cause the glitch, or is that another one?

superhands

in the grand scheme of things, ideally these will be t21s.
in the meantime all you can really do is double check that they are built on flat terrain.

it may also be possible to fix with a lot of testing, the flags in the s3d file. however not to sure which ones would allow the best combination.

the model is from memory .05 units high. if we find out what height the game assigns textures automatically we maybe able to resolve this blend problem by just adjusting the model height.   

-dave

mdawgmike

Thanks for the info guys.  Unfortunately, flattening the ground didn't seem to have much of an effect for me (I used the technique of making multiple 1X1 street chunks to get a perfectly flat roadbed for the transition).  Changing the zone type around the transition to either higher density or no zone at all doesn't seem to have an effect either.  What did seem to have a major impact was changing the game setting to "software rendering."  The problem almost completely goes away (only shows up maybe 1 out of every 10 times I pan over the transition as compared to pretty much every time with "hardware rendering" set).  I have a nVidia card (9800gt), if that helps any.

Blue Lightning

If there is a z-buffering setting on your graphics card control panel (Right click on desktop > NVIDIA Display or the like), try different settings.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

ivo_su

Hi all
I want to ask you planned to be built  EOWR- 3, EOWR- 4, EMAVE-6 and more in the new NWM and how Tile will  nead for AVE-6 and AVE-8

- Ivaylo

Tarkus

Quote from: ivo_su on December 20, 2010, 06:26:13 AM
I want to ask you planned to be built  EOWR- 3, EOWR- 4, EMAVE-6 and more in the new NWM and how Tile will  nead for AVE-6 and AVE-8

All networks are planned to be elevated, including those three.  It's uncertain when, though.

The AVE-6 and AVE-8 will both be 3-tile-wide networks when released.

-Alex

Opkl

Quote from: Tarkus on December 20, 2010, 10:23:15 AM
All networks are planned to be elevated, including those three.  It's uncertain when, though.

The AVE-6 and AVE-8 will both be 3-tile-wide networks when released.

-Alex

And will they have TuLEP pieces?