• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack_wilds

THX  &apls for all the dedication on these projects Tarkus... as this game -SC4, would have languished and the possibility of SC5 never have happened, without the advances made via the NAM-Team...  :thumbsup:

Wiimeiser

The OWR idea sounds good, that way you could extend the median out and simply drag OWR to make the transition faster, assuming they're using the same middle piece...
And I don't remember you saying anything about why TLAs aren't getting elevated versions...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Wiimeiser on June 20, 2012, 02:52:43 PM
The OWR idea sounds good, that way you could extend the median out and simply drag OWR to make the transition faster, assuming they're using the same middle piece...
And I don't remember you saying anything about why TLAs aren't getting elevated versions...

If you keep the TLA turn paths on an elevated TLA, in real-life at least, you'd fall off the bridge. :P In SC4, that would equate to a 7.5 or 15m jump from the air to the ground if there's an adjacent lot (not realistic) and absolute redundancy if it's an isolated viaduct or bridge (not practical).

In other words, for ENWM, AVEs and TLAs are identical.

Secondly, because of how modular the TLA-7, AVE-6, AVE-8, and TLA-9 are (it's technically the AVE-6 median, the TLA-7 median, AVE-6 outer, and AVE-8 outer that compose all six possible triple-tile networks), the AVE-8 outer part (which, for the record, has TLA paths that "break" when there's an AVE-6 median) is the only thing that needs to be made from OWR. An OWR-based AVE-8 outer would have a 50% capacity boost over the AVE-6 outer, granting the overall network (both TLA-9 and AVE-8) a 67% capacity boost over the AVE-6 and TLA-7.

There are a few inherent problems though, but minor and aesthetic if the OWR-based AVE-8 outer was decided:
- OWR arrows, OWR arrows everywhere.
- OWRs can't make NCs.
- Pathing...

But then,...
- That's two networks, and there's no hotkey for OWR.
- Counterintuitive to use two networks and not just one. Inherently would take longer to build, since you'd need to switch between two networks...

Let me re-list that...

Advantages:
- Higher capacity, up to 2/3 more than AVE-6.

Disadvantages:
- OWR Arrows everywhere.
- Pathing.
- Counterintuitive to use two networks instead of one.
- There's no OWR hotkey.
- OWRs can't make NCs.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

AngryBirdsFan436

Are there any proposals of an AVE-10 and TLA-11?
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----

Tarkus

We're not really taking requests for new networks right now.  We have enough networks on our plates that need their feature sets fleshed out and crosslinks put in place.

Besides, if you really want an AVE-10, just take two OWR-5s in opposite directions and place them adjacent to one another.  Problem solved.  Those sorts of setups will even have their own TuLEPs in a future NAM release (not NAM 31). 

-Alex

ivo_su

Quote from: Tarkus on June 23, 2012, 12:25:38 AM
Besides, if you really want an AVE-10, just take two OWR-5s in opposite directions and place them adjacent to one another.  Problem solved.  Those sorts of setups will even have their own TuLEPs in a future NAM release (not NAM 31). 

-Alex

It's a little sad. Why not make this piece TuLEPs OWR-4/5 at this release. I guess it will not be especially difficult for you, and by my calculations, these pieces will have a size 4x4.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: ivo_su on June 23, 2012, 01:20:46 AM
Why not make this piece TuLEPs OWR-4/5 at this release.

Because we got enough plans, and that would just delay the release of NAM 31.
<INACTIVE>
-----

AngryBirdsFan436

The reason why the NWM is under hiatus is because of the Project 057?
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 23, 2012, 01:58:50 AM
Quote from: ivo_su on June 23, 2012, 01:20:46 AM
Why not make this piece TuLEPs OWR-4/5 at this release.

Because we got enough plans, and that would just delay the release of NAM 31.

We could, in theory, keep developing until everything everyone ever wanted ended up in the NAM.  But that's a lot of stuff, and would mean NAM 31 wouldn't come out for a few years, which in the end, would just aggravate everyone (not to mention we'd be inundated with the ever-annoying "is NAM abandoned?" posts).  So we're going to get to a suitable stopping point, release a new version so you guys can play with it, and continue development on the next.

-Alex

DJSun1981

So, cars dont need to go over the sidewalks here to growable parkingplace - shops.

Is it possible to make some nwm - crossroads without traffic lights for situation like this:

Tarkus

Those are TuLEPs intersections there, though the intersections actually share textures with NWM stuff.  It's theoretically possible--just have to duplicate the instance and take out the T21s.

-Alex

Shadow Assassin

QuoteThose are TuLEPs intersections there, though the intersections actually share textures with NWM stuff.

The textures may be identical, but I don't believe the models have identical texture IDs.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Tarkus

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on June 24, 2012, 07:18:50 AM
QuoteThose are TuLEPs intersections there, though the intersections actually share textures with NWM stuff.

The textures may be identical, but I don't believe the models have identical texture IDs.

Yes, that's correct.  The NWM ones are in the 0x51 range, while the color-corrected TuLEP versions are in 0x5B.

-Alex

metarvo

That diagonal intersection is some sweet stuff there, Alex.  Of course, the elevated NWM networks will be a welcome addition as well.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: metarvo on June 25, 2012, 06:03:18 AM
That diagonal intersection is some sweet stuff there, Alex.  Of course, the elevated NWM networks will be a welcome addition as well.

Mind you, it won't be in NAM 31, but will likely be in the NAM after it.
<INACTIVE>
-----

BlueB52

Are there any transitions between NMAVE-4 and any two tile avenue?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: BlueB52 on June 28, 2012, 01:58:27 PM
Are there any transitions between NMAVE-4 and any two tile avenue?

Someone was kind enough to make the textures for it, but you still need to RUL-2 it in.

In other words, the current public build does not.
<INACTIVE>
-----

ivo_su

We could, in theory, keep developing until everything everyone ever wanted ended up in the NAM.  But that's a lot of stuff, and would mean NAM 31 wouldn't come out for a few years, which in the end, would just aggravate everyone (not to mention we'd be inundated with the ever-annoying "is NAM abandoned?" posts).  So we're going to get to a suitable stopping point, release a new version so you guys can play with it, and continue development on the next.

-Alex

I still think that to date, you are far enough from the phase of freezing. Right? This should mean that it is still not too late to add new things that were not planned at this time.