• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

I knew you meant that intersection.  I thought it existed already, but judging by that image, it appears it hasn't been.  Shouldn't be difficult to add, though there's the added complexity of NWM having a P57-type re-write planned (which, depending on what we decide with the new IID scheme, will end up being called Project 51, Project 56, or Project 5C).

-Alex

Haljackey

Fun fact: Ave-6/TLA-7 TuLEPS can work with other some NWM networks:

Not only does this OWR intersection look right, that turn is properly pathed as well!

The more you know  ::)

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: Haljackey on August 31, 2012, 09:57:03 PM
Fun fact: Ave-6/TLA-7 TuLEPS can work with other some NWM networks:

Not only does this OWR intersection look right, that turn is properly pathed as well!

The more you know  ::)

I did that same thing today for the first time (TLA-7 intersecting with OWR-3)  :o.

GDO29Anagram

Something worth noting: Although the OWR-3/AVE-6 T-crossing does work with the given TuLEPs, the number of lanes that make up the OWR-3 doesn't match the number of turning lanes that make it up. Pathfixing it is nowhere near a priority, but this is where advanced TuLEPs would come in, anyway.

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jondor

Agreed with the OWR flowing into the intersection, but for the one flowing out, those "missing" ones are illegal turns.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Haljackey

Quote from: jondor on September 01, 2012, 11:18:47 PM
Agreed with the OWR flowing into the intersection, but for the one flowing out, those "missing" ones are illegal turns.

Agreed. By that mentality, all three lanes would turn right for OWR-4/5. Interesting stuff to ponder about.

GDO29Anagram

But which setups are practical and which ones are downright illegal? (I admittedly just drew the arrows willy-nilly...)

Are tulips supposed to be red?
<INACTIVE>
-----

jondor

The inflowing OWR is perfectly legal and practical.  The left turn onto the center lane of the outflowing OWR is also practical, but needs additional lane markings to make it legal, it could stay.  The right turn onto the center lane is illegal and suicidal since you are crossing a through traffic lane.  Not that that stops some people I've seen driving...
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Blue Lightning

Generally right turn from center lane is marked with "No Turn On Red Except Curb Lane" and the left turn is always going to be protected so it doesn't matter anyways.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

j-dub

QuoteThe right turn onto the center lane is illegal and suicidal since you are crossing a through traffic lane
Which is why I don't understand, that in despite of how dangerous this is at a regular intersection, that they made it okay for avenue roundabouts in my reality, and even use arrows to indicate as your headed straight thru the circle, someone on the left side of you, will make a right in front of you, but if your a semi, you have no choice, or if your in the left lane headed thru the traffic circle, someone on your right, will cut in front of you, so they can get across. It sounds hosed up.

The thing Jondor mentioned with the additional lane markings, was in concept, and there even was a working American texture even made, but that advanced TuLEP piece does not exist at present.

MandelSoft

Quote from: j-dub on September 05, 2012, 10:26:18 AM
QuoteThe right turn onto the center lane is illegal and suicidal since you are crossing a through traffic lane
Which is why I don't understand, that in despite of how dangerous this is at a regular intersection, that they made it okay for avenue roundabouts in my reality, and even use arrows to indicate as your headed straight thru the circle, someone on the left side of you, will make a right in front of you, but if your a semi, you have no choice, or if your in the left lane headed thru the traffic circle, someone on your right, will cut in front of you, so they can get across. It sounds hosed up.
That's probably why here in the Netherlands almost all single-lane roundabouts give priority to all on-roundabout traffic. Almost all multi-lane roundabouts are stoplight-controlled or converted to turbo-roundabouts...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Monorail Master

I'm typing this on my iPod Touch, so just giving an advisory for future errors.

Will there be a One-tile 4-lane road <--> AVE-4/MAVE-4/AVE-2 conversion? Still annoies me that I have to convert the one tile avenue back ro road, then back to AVE-4 thus taking up loads of space.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

GDO29Anagram

Under proper terminology, that would be an NRD-4 to AVE-4, NRD-4 to RD-4, and NRD-4 to AVE-2 transition.

Chances are, those could be included into the NWM for NAM 31, considering that they're small enough. As of NRD-4 to AVE-2, there's no transition texture made for it.

Remember that there's a planned namechange with several of the NWM's networks, and that it's that all "MAVE" networks are going to be renamed to "RD". The reason is simple: They're simply bigger versions of the Road network, and it also eliminates the chance of anyone confusing it with the triple-tile NWM network of AVE-6.
<INACTIVE>
-----

mike3775

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 11, 2012, 03:55:56 PM
Under proper terminology, that would be an NRD-4 to AVE-4, NRD-4 to RD-4, and NRD-4 to AVE-2 transition.

Chances are, those could be included into the NWM for NAM 31, considering that they're small enough. As of NRD-4 to AVE-2, there's no transition texture made for it.

Remember that there's a planned namechange with several of the NWM's networks, and that it's that all "MAVE" networks are going to be renamed to "RD". The reason is simple: They're simply bigger versions of the Road network, and it also eliminates the chance of anyone confusing it with the triple-tile NWM network of AVE-6.

figures I just figure out all the different acronyms and you guys go and change em on me.  Its like you want me to fail the test  :)
(I am kidding of course)

Haljackey

Quote from: mike3775 on September 11, 2012, 05:13:34 PM
figures I just figure out all the different acronyms and you guys go and change em on me.  Its like you want me to fail the test  :)
(I am kidding of course)

I'd probably pass, but just barely. :P

On CasperVG's Twitch Tv stream today we were talking about how many of us still say Rural Highway instead of Real Highway, but at least that acronym hasn't changed.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to make a sticky topic on one of the NAM boards clearly defining these terms.

Tarkus

I'd ace the test, but as I was involved in the creation of many of those acronyms, that's not entirely fair. :D  Sounds like I might be the guy to make that thread. ::)

-Alex

mike3775

Quote from: Haljackey on September 11, 2012, 06:39:29 PM
Quote from: mike3775 on September 11, 2012, 05:13:34 PM
(I am kidding of course)

I'd probably pass, but just barely. :P

On CasperVG's Twitch Tv stream today we were talking about how many of us still say Rural Highway instead of Real Highway, but at least that acronym hasn't changed.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to make a sticky topic on one of the NAM boards clearly defining these terms.

Its still Rural to me, and its not because I refuse to change, its just that is what it was still being called when I quit playing the game for awhile in late 2009, and didn't start playing it again until early last year(2011) and thats when I realized the name had changed from Rural to Real, but dang it, I am 37, to old to change  :)(incidentally I still call renamed sports venues in my area their old non corporate names like Comiskey Park(US Cellular Field) and Rosemont Horizon(All State Arena)

Tarkus

Quote from: mike3775 on September 11, 2012, 07:42:08 PM
Its still Rural to me, and its not because I refuse to change, its just that is what it was still being called when I quit playing the game for awhile in late 2009, and didn't start playing it again until early last year(2011) and thats when I realized the name had changed from Rural to Real, but dang it, I am 37, to old to change  :)(incidentally I still call renamed sports venues in my area their old non corporate names like Comiskey Park(US Cellular Field) and Rosemont Horizon(All State Arena)

Just as long as you don't repeat the fallacious statement that RHWs shouldn't be built in "urban areas" because the "R" stands for "Rural". ::)  Nothing grates on my nerves more. :D

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

There have been a few times that I've stated that calling RHW rural is an understatement of its potential, in an attempt of dispelling that misconception. Then I said that the AVE networks are like a divided highway but not a real highway...

Speaking of misconceptions, there's one in the NWM itself that no one has even mentioned. The only ironic network available in the NWM is the OWR-1 in that instead of widening, it's narrowing. Only 7.69% (1 out of 13) of the NWM's current networks makes me wanna say "Network Narrowing Mod". :P

Then there's the MIS. That's supposed to refer to the set of "stuff" for RHW interchange construction (which is really the RHW itself; I suppose MIS-2 was supposed to be what RHW-4 is now...). Now people think of it as being the MIS network, but I think we've collectively succeeded in getting lost with random trivia...
<INACTIVE>
-----

Haljackey

I guess you're right Ganaram. 1 lane one-way roads are essentially a 'thinning' of the default one-ways, yet they're a part of the NWM. Oxymoron anyone?

I normally refer to the MIS as 'MIS ramps', although I guess you could call it RHW-1 if you want (similar to OWR-1). The MIS itself involves ramp pieces, MIS ramps and often other MIS infrastructure included with the RHW mod (such as flexfly and the like).