• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

TEASER : New tool in the hood

Started by wouanagaine, June 01, 2007, 01:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

There have been some issues in development, namely Wou's Real Life kicking in occasionally and his laptop being stolen which required reverse engineering the code to continue development.  As much as we are keen to get this out it's not going out untill it's done.

Korot

His laptop got stolen? Well, there you have yet another reason to bake up your files on an external drive (be it a flashdrive, HDD, or cd/dvd, just not the internal HD).

Regards,
Korot

dragonshardz

Let me put it in the words of the NAM Team: "It will be released when it's finished."

Now, perhaps we should have an admin or Gmod lock this thread until Wou shows up again. he is moderator here, so he should be able to unlock it when he comes back.

Diggis

Quote from: Korot on August 03, 2009, 01:27:55 PM
His laptop got stolen? Well, there you have yet another reason to bake up your files on an external drive (be it a flashdrive, HDD, or cd/dvd, just not the internal HD).

Regards,
Korot

He did have a back up but I believe was working on it on holiday when it went missing so had lost a fair amount of work.  Maybe you should stop being so high and mighty.  Wou is developing, for free, in his own time, an amazing tool for us to use.  As DS said above, 'it'll be ready when it's ready'

ldvger

Well.

The enthusiasm of the past 16 pages of posts and pics has got me sold on wanting to try out this new tool as well, even though I only last night began my own teeny steps into the world of creating custom content. 

I know what a hexadecimal is, but no idea about what it does or how to use it.  I know the difference between a BAT and a LOT and a PROP and a MOD, but have no idea what a LOD is or a PIM or a T21.  I *think* I am beginning to understand how the various components of custom creation work together, but not positive.  I think, again not sure, I know the difference between a Type, a Family, a Group, and Exemplar and an Instance.  Barby has assigned me my very own range of IID's for creating Props (thanks again!), still waiting for my range of IID's for creating textures, but as I won't be creating any of either for a while, I can wait.  I am wondering if I need IID ranges for buildings I may BAT and LOTs I may create and if so, where I would get them.  I don't need an answer here, I'm sure I'll figure it out as I wend my way through the myriad of tutorials both here and over at ST.  I think I have all the software tools I need.  I have LE, BAT, the Maxis Plug-In Manager.  I have Photoshop and GIMP.  I have AutoCAD.  I have SC4Tool (downloaded and installed today, haven't opened it yet), Terraformer and Mapper.  I have Region Census and Irfanview and Gmax.  I have SCRACC and Landscape Designer.  My plugins file is an embarrassing mess filled with tons of files, many of which I am certain I no longer need or want. 

Any tool that simplifies the process of creating custom content has got to be a good thing and from what I've read, that is what this tool will do.  Creating custom content should be simple and intuitive for all players of the game, not just those of us (and I include myself very marginally) with backgrounds in graphics and/or programming and/or without RL demands to fill our time.  Beyond simplifying the creation of custom content, there is the issue of standardizing, to some degree, same.  There have been many discussions on many forums over many years concerning the many philosophies regarding in-game scale versus RL scale, for example, and each creator of custom content either falls in with one group or another or makes up his/her own rules about scale.  This leads to unfortunate results in our games, as custom creations don't always balance with Maxis creations or with other custom creations.  If this new tool sets some default scale values and becomes widely used, then at least one major issue will be mitigated, if not resolved. 

I, for one, am content to wait until this new tool has passed all the extremely rigorous tests its' developers are putting it through.  I have heard there is a saying in the US militray that's there's never time to do things right, but always time to do things over.  I hate that line of thought with a passion...take the time to get it right the first time.  This tool has been at least two years in development and I think a lot of the folks impatiently tapping thier toes don't fully comprehend the power of the tool or the tremendous amounts of time and energy that dozens, maybe hundreds of people have given of thier own "free" time to create it.  This isn't Maxis folks are being impatient with, with a full-time PAID staff.  These are our fellow gamers who, in many cases, forego thier own game play time to instead devote themselves to making our game play better.  They are HEROES in our community and should be appreciated as such. 

So, test on.  I know the tool, while maybe not perfect when released into public beta, will at least be as perfect as the development team can make it, given the constraints of RL and the fact that this, after all, a GAME. 

Lora/LD

RippleJet

Quote from: ldvger on October 04, 2009, 11:02:16 PM
Barby has assigned me my very own range of IID's for creating Props (thanks again!), still waiting for my range of IID's for creating textures, but as I won't be creating any of either for a while, I can wait.  I am wondering if I need IID ranges for buildings I may BAT and LOTs I may create and if so, where I would get them.

You don't need any personal range for creating bats, buildings, props or lots.
B.A.T., PIM, PIM-X and LE assign unique numbers automatically.
The Prop Family range Barby gave you is only in case you want to create prop/building families. ;)

BarbyW

*bursts into song from West Side Story*
"Could it be? Yes, it could.
Something's coming, something good,
If I can wait!
Something's coming, I don't know what it is,
But it is
Gonna be great! "

Get it here.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

WC_EEND

that's very useful, thanks barby
*starts launching fireworks to celebrate*
(post written in crazy mood)
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

rooker1

Fantastic work by all. 
Thank you very much!
Call me Robin, please.

Gringamuyloca

Another stupendous example of SC4 Devotion!!!!   You are an amazing group of people!  &apls

Thank you for your time, all the effort and especially for sharing!  ()flower()

I'm looking forward to editing my first lot!  ;D

Edit: I realize it's 'only' the user guide  :thumbsup: ..after going through all 81 pages twice, $%Grinno$% I eagerly await the tool the guide is for!
Tamara

BarbyW

That is only the User Guide. You will have to wait for SC4PIM - but not too long. $%Grinno$%
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Delecto

Thank you so much for your amazing user guide.  ()flower() :party:
It will be a great tool!

Andreas

Hopefully, this will encourage people to read the "readme" first, and then get their hands on the actual tool. ;)
Andreas

Ryan B.

Quote from: BarbyW on November 03, 2009, 04:17:51 AM
*bursts into song from West Side Story*
"Could it be? Yes, it could.
Something's coming, something good,
If I can wait!
Something's coming, I don't know what it is,
But it is
Gonna be great! "

Get it here.

Truly revolutionary.  No one will use the stock Maxis stuff ever again!

wouanagaine

Yes please praise the devotion of all people involved in the guide and the tool

The coding part is my job, but all the other stuffs and there are many more than the code are done by many great people

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

SC4BOY

JoeST

You are too modest wou... :D truly wonderful :)
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

dragonshardz

Pat

Im soooooo giddy, like a little boy on Christmas morning!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie