• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

PIM-X Bug on Win7 SP1 - Fixed!

Started by CasperVg, January 03, 2012, 10:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperVg

PIM-X Windows 7 SP1 Bug - Fixed!

Hi everyone,

I managed to track down the problem to a single file used by PIM-X (and also other Python-based  applications, by the way) that somehow becomes corrupted with Windows 7 SP1.
As a result, PIM-X failed to load under Win7 SP1, producing a load of error reports instead.

However, replacing the file named "multiarray.pyd" in the PIM-X Program Files directory with an identical, but recompiled version solves the problem completely, as it removes the corruption, so PIM-X will load once again!

An official patch for PIM-X on Win7 SP1 will be released soon on the LEX, but in the meantime I have attached the file below.

Install Instructions
1. Unzip the attached file
2. Place the file named 'multiarray.pyd' in your C:\Program Files\SC4PIM directory (or C:\Program Files (x86)\SC4PIM if you're on a 64-bit system)
3. If it asks to overwrite the old file, click YES.
4. That's it, you should be able to run SC4PIM flawlessly now!

F.A.Q.
1. Do I need this patch if I'm using Windows Vista, Windows XP or earlier?
--> No, you do not need it if your SC4PIM is working fine. It doesn't contain any new functionality, so I would say "never change a winning team" :)

2. Does this patch work for 64-bit as well as 32-bit systems?
--> Yes, it has been confirmed to work on both 64- and 32-bit setups.

3. My SC4PIM still doesn't work after replacing the file.
--> Feel free to post below or in the PIM-X Official Support Thread if you still experience any malfunctioning, but most likely the problem has a different source.

Of course, also make sure to install the required DLLs, mentioned in the SC4PIM Support Thread to the application directory. Without them, SC4PIM won't work (even with this patch)!

Hope it works for you!
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

FrankU

Hi Casper,

This is really very very good news! Who did find this out? Who is worth receiving at least one karma point?
And also: does this mean there is also a solution to the Terrafromer problems?

CasperVg

I have never personally encountered this issue on SC4 Terraformer (it always ran fine on my Win7 SP1 64bit, without changes (same for Datpacker, Cleanitol etc)). But if you're talking about this thread/problem. Then yes, it could probably be solved in a similar way. Can you try adding multiarray.pyd to your SC4TF program files directory and see if that solves anything?

Contrary to SC4PIM though, there is no multiarray.pyd in the program folder of SC4TF itself. But the library.zip (which can't be edited afaik) does contain it.

Hope it helps,
Casper
(it was me who found the solutions btw ;)

FrankU

Casper,

I must admit I never even tried to open Terraformer since I have my Win7 x64 machine, so I don' t personally bother about this, but Iread here and there that there were problems. Like Brechtje who was making a very detailed map of the northern and soutern Netherlands (meaning Belgium and Netherlands) and who quit, as far as I know, because of this issue.

So maybe I am completely wrong in this matter.  &mmm

CasperVg

Well, since the traceback from the bigro's problem with SC4TF:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SC4Terraformer.py", line 4, in ?
  File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 76, in ?
      File "datReader.pyo", line 8, in ?
      File "Numeric.pyo", line 91, in ?
  ImportError: DLL load failed: The parameter is incorrect.

Is pretty much the same as the error everyone was getting with SC4PIM:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SC4PIM.py", line 1, in ?
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 117, in ?
  File "SC4IconMakerDlg.pyo", line 7, in ?
  File "SC4Data.pyo", line 2, in ?
  File "S3DReader.pyo", line 2, in ?
  File "S3DViewer.pyo", line 3, in ?
  File "Numeric.pyo", line 91, in ?
  File "multiarray.pyo", line 12, in ?
  File "multiarray.pyo", line 10, in
__loadImportError: DLL load failed: The parameter is incorrect.

Means you might not be wrong on this matter at all.

Clearly, both problems are pretty similar; as both are caused by an incorrect parameter (apparently caused by the multiarray.pyo corruption) and called by Numeric.pyo, a (by now deprecated, according to the interwebs) Python plugin that can handle complex mathematical calculations and matrices, arrays etc. However, the biggest discrepancy between both cases is that SC4PIM worked for no-one once they had installed Win7 SP1, while it seems SC4TF only malfunctions for a select (but still significant) group of users using Win7 SP1 (or even 'vanilla' Win7 ?).

I guess that means we can't be sure wether placing multiarray.pyd in the SC4TF Program Files directory will fix the issues, but it would be worth a shot - so I would like to do a warm request to anyone who's having similar issues with SC4Terraformer: please, try placing multiarray.pyd (available in the thread header) in your SC4TF Program Files folder and report back wether it works.

Greetings,
Casper

xannepan

&apls &apls &apls

Works perfect! Fantastic! Thank you!

FrankU

Hi Casper,

Clicking on the link gives me a index.php file which is not what I am supposed to receive. Please help!

catty

Quote from: FrankU on January 04, 2012, 12:33:45 PM
Hi Casper,

Clicking on the link gives me a index.php file which is not what I am supposed to receive. Please help!

There is a bug in the site software, if you have firefox8, then any attachments will download as index.php, firefox7 is fine as is firefox9, you can download it using a different browser
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

vester

Upgrade to Firefox 9 and the problems is gone.

carlfatal

A big big thank you!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Greetz, Carl

FrankU

Quote from: catty on January 04, 2012, 12:51:53 PM
There is a bug in the site software, if you have firefox8, then any attachments will download as index.php, firefox7 is fine as is firefox9, you can download it using a different browser
Quote from: vester on January 04, 2012, 01:27:59 PM

I just did. It worked. Thanks. Sometimes it is so easy, but hard to find out....

CasperVg

Quote from: FrankU on January 05, 2012, 04:18:57 AM
Quote from: catty on January 04, 2012, 12:51:53 PM
Quote from: vester on January 04, 2012, 01:27:59 PM

I just did. It worked. Thanks. Sometimes it is so easy, but hard to find out....
Good to see you got it working ;)

I have good news for those who want to use the SC4 Savegame Explorer: the multiarray.pyd fix also works there!

ScottFTL

This also worked for me.  I cannot thank you enough, Casper!  &apls

namspopof

Very BIGGGGGGGG Thanks !!!

PIMX is Back ! &apls &apls
STRATEGIUM ALLIANCE
The French site for strategic simulation in real time, member of French associative network Jeux-Stratégie.com
My BAT for SC4
ToutSimCitiesFrench site for SC4.

gn_leugim

StephenMotsinger

This FIX WORKED PERFECTLY for me.. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!  Stephen

Ol.S / Benoit

Thanks a lot Casper ! Works perfectly :)
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture