• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: Tarkus on August 19, 2012, 01:52:43 PM
NAM 31 is about P57, and NAM 32 will be focused on the NWM and TuLEPs, so you'd probably be looking at NAM 33 or 34.

I'll certainly appreciate Project 57 when it comes out, as well as what you're planning with the NWM and TuLEPs (especially extending TuLEP functionality). There are so many great features and concepts, it must be difficult to know where to begin.

Quote from: Tarkus on August 03, 2012, 01:27:36 AM
Just thought I'd give everyone a little update, since things have been quiet.  We're still progressing on the second draft of the P57 specs, and while we don't have anything really interesting to show here from it (unless you enjoy gawking at RUL1 and RUL2 code), it's coming along.  It'll be awhile before we have the fourth alpha build onto the Associates, but once that happens, we'll have lots of interesting things to show as we get closer to release.

Interesting? I'm game for "interesting"  ;D.

Quote from: Kitsune on July 29, 2012, 06:08:52 PM
Are more bridges likely to be released when the next version of rhw is ?

As new bridges are predicated on the P57 specs being in place, and there's already some in the works, I'd say yes.

-Alex

New bridges? That's great. I hope that it's possible to support bridges that carry wider RHWs (like an RHW-10 bridge, that would be nice to have).

Quote from: AngryBirdsFan436 on August 19, 2012, 07:24:38 AM
Well, it's been quiet here in this thread. But, I'm recreating Paradise City from Burnout Paradise (Fun and great game ;)). And the I-88 is partly a DDRHW-8. Is the DDRHW-8 already in developement? BTW does anyone here play Burnout Paradise? :)

I play Burnout Paradise, and the double-decker highway is neat. If the DDRHW-8 comes out, I can see a lot of uses for it in urban areas where a DDRHW-4 simply isn't sufficient. The anticipation I have for L1, L3, and L4 content is much greater. I recently was on a road trip that included passing over a lot of flyover ramps, some of them brand-new, and new flyover ramps are just beautiful. I'm itching to be able to "fly over" my SC4 interchanges and roads when that content comes out.

This is sort of off-topic and belongs more in the NWM thread, but I've always had a special itch for a reversible lane setup. I realize that the pathing and functionality is very difficult to impossible for a reversible road, but I think it would be possible to make the eyecandy, such as the lane markings and the overhead setups, like a retextured OWR or ARD-3. I understand completely if the NAM team doesn't want to waste time on non-functional transit systems, but I just thought I would mention it. Perhaps some modder might like the idea. Seeing as I have no modding skills myself, I'll settle for "photoshopping". Something like this really adds an urban and "real" feel to a city.

Additional note: I found these two old conversations in the NWM thread about reversible lanes (one from 2008 and one from 2010). The idea I posted 4 years ago seemed to be workable, albeit as a retextured ARD-3. It would certainly be possible to create cosmetic puzzle pieces in that regard like the RHW. As for the ARD-3 switch that I mentioned, that piece could have a cosmetic version that had reversible lane textures. In addition to that usage, a lot of people would find it useful for the regular ARD-3's.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on August 20, 2012, 06:46:41 AM
I'll certainly appreciate Project 57 when it comes out, as well as what you're planning with the NWM and TuLEPs (especially extending TuLEP functionality). There are so many great features and concepts, it must be difficult to know where to begin.

Interesting? I'm game for "interesting"  ;D .

New bridges? That's great. I hope that it's possible to support bridges that carry wider RHWs (like an RHW-10 bridge, that would be nice to have).

This is sort of off-topic and belongs more in the NWM thread, but I've always had a special itch for a reversible lane setup.

Additional note: I found these two old conversations in the NWM thread about reversible lanes (one from 2008 and one from 2010).

1. NWM begins with a reorganisation of its IID allocation, similar to P57, and for those of you playing at home, it means that we're effectively redoing all of the RHW, but leaving the old stuff as legacy support. The same will be true for NWM, but... Let's just leave it as "We don't know what to call NWM; Project 51, 56, or 5C?".

2. Well, try to wrap your head around hundreds of thousands or even millions of lines of RUL-2 code that essentially looks like this:

0x57000000,1,0,0x57030000,1,0=0x57030000,1,0,0x57030000,1,0

3. Possible? Try proven.

I'll continue my reply over at the NWM thread.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Haljackey

Quote from: 976 on August 19, 2012, 11:45:33 PM
Any plan to bring pararel exit to RHW networks? like those from MHW network:

as this in RL:

This is my take on a frontage road interchange. If you're just looking for pointers for the connections, check out the OWR-2 to OWR-4 transitions used here.

riiga

To continue from above, here's my take:

noahclem

I've been wondering what kind of diagonal crossings are planned for NAM 31.

Will all single tile networks (ie, including 6S) get draggable crossings?
Will the existing puzzle piece crossings be left in place for us control freaks building in tight situations and
    uneven slopes?
Are additional diagonal crossing puzzle pieces planned?
Is any diagonal functionality for 2- and/or 3-tile RHWs planned?
Will anything be able to cross over diagonal 6C?
Speaking of diagonal 6C, are we likely to see diagonal 8C (and thus exits with merging lanes) in the next
    release?

Sorry for the grocery list of questions and thanks in advance  ;D

Bipin

Seeing as everyone is displaying how they built their frontage roads, here are mine:

I've always liked frontage roads, but never really liked the idea of messy intersections when they were at-grade. I mixed a sunken highway with frontage roads and got that.

Nice image, though things with large scrollbars are inadvisable.  I've created an 800px wide thumbnail and linked it to the full size. -Tarkus, Admin

Girafe

it's really well designed and though  &apls &apls

The only thing I will complain is maybe the lack of details and the flora, what this green!!!

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Tarkus

Quote from: noahclem on August 20, 2012, 12:35:29 PM
Will all single tile networks (ie, including 6S) get draggable crossings?

The main reason they weren't draggable before was because of that infamous mess that normally results from trying to build same-network OxD and DxD intersections.  However, since I solved that a couple months back, we'll be able to provide a full array of draggable diagonal crossiings.

Will the existing puzzle piece crossings be left in place for us control freaks building in tight situations and
    uneven slopes?
Are additional diagonal crossing puzzle pieces planned?

I'll group these two together.  There aren't any new diagonal crossing puzzle pieces planned, mainly as the number that would be required would quickly spiral out of control due to the addition of the multi-height system.  The plan had been to phase out the other ones (leaving the instances in tact for legacy purposes), but given that the menu space where they are will likely remain reserved, as long as there's an icon allowing access, they can continue to be used.

Is any diagonal functionality for 2- and/or 3-tile RHWs planned?

Yes.  You can already build diagonal RHW-8S, RHW-10S, RHW-6C, and RHW-8C.  That functionality is being revamped further for the next release, and we have everything in place for diagonal RHW-12S and RHW-10C, when those networks come into play (probably not in NAM 31).

Will anything be able to cross over diagonal 6C?

Yes.  There's code already done for it.

Speaking of diagonal 6C, are we likely to see diagonal 8C (and thus exits with merging lanes) in the next
    release?

Diagonal 8C is already in place, though we haven't done too much with new diagonal ramp interfaces (there's one for the 6C that JD's done, but that's it so far).

Sorry for the grocery list of questions and thanks in advance  ;D

No worries, and you're most welcome. :)

-Alex

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on August 20, 2012, 07:23:51 AM
1. NWM begins with a reorganisation of its IID allocation, similar to P57, and for those of you playing at home, it means that we're effectively redoing all of the RHW, but leaving the old stuff as legacy support. The same will be true for NWM, but... Let's just leave it as "We don't know what to call NWM; Project 51, 56, or 5C?".

I saw the P57-like redo of the NWM earlier, I was referring to what lay beyond that. But, it's always nice to know that you guys have a well-constructed plan.

Quote2. Well, try to wrap your head around hundreds of thousands or even millions of lines of RUL-2 code that essentially looks like this:

0x57000000,1,0,0x57030000,1,0=0x57030000,1,0,0x57030000,1,0

Since my head can't wrap around RUL code, I'll take the same position as the vast majority of RHW users and leave the RUL-ing to the "professionals".

Quote3. Possible? Try proven.

I assume you mean the bridges. If so, then that's great and it's only a matter of time before the RHW team gets around to the wider bridges.

Kitsune

If you check the Bridge Engineering section... you'll see a RHW-10 cable stay bridge..
~ NAM Team Member

Wiimeiser

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Something like this, note the smaller of the two circles.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

metarvo

As a Texan, I might as well play my frontage road cards:

Note that the MIS segment intersecting the orthogonal OWR must be a stub that intersects only the first tile of OWR it touches or you'll get these annoying crosswalks.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Wiimeiser

Should be something like this, specifically, where traffic gets on (This is LHT, BTW) but without the slip lane. You could make the whole piece a TULEPS piece if you wanted, if the freeway was RHW...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

j-dub

Eh, that interesction, reminds me too much of the one's in the US, the signals are actually on the same sides at that one, it's just the difference is the side of the road the cars go under them.

However, from that reality check, I don't know if that falls specifically just into RHW.

Kitsune

In the next version... could we have rhw-4 end at road? The idea being that it would allow us to use the cosmetic pieces for a right and left turn lane... instead of just using MIS.
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on August 25, 2012, 04:19:22 AM
Should be something like this, specifically, where traffic gets on (This is LHT, BTW) but without the slip lane. You could make the whole piece a TULEPS piece if you wanted, if the freeway was RHW...

That freeway, right at that intersection, could probably pass as an RD-6 (former MAVE-6), especially in light of its speed limit (60km/h).  I'd say this is more NWM/TuLEPs territory on that part, though it looks like it becomes more RHW-like to the west.

Quote from: Kitsune on August 25, 2012, 12:21:04 PM
In the next version... could we have rhw-4 end at road? The idea being that it would allow us to use the cosmetic pieces for a right and left turn lane... instead of just using MIS.

It sounds plausible, so I'd say it's worth consideration.  That said, I'm still not sold on allowing the RHW-4 to intersect Avenues at-grade (instead forcing people to convert to an Avenue--with TuLEPs, if desired), and there are plans for MIS TuLEPs.

-Alex

Gugu3

Any news on the development/improvement front?;-)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Gugu3 on September 03, 2012, 08:38:24 AM
Any news on the development/improvement front?;-)

Can't say much because there really isn't much (unless you consider model work, ponies, and INRULs exciting), but there's a little bit for non-RHW highways (which is still model work).
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

I'll confirm what Ganaram said.  We ended up revising the P57 spec (which I'll refer to the new spec as P57-2), which will pay dividends in the long run, including with the planned NWM revamp.  But it's meant much of the original P57 work (which I'll call P57-1) was essentially a learning experience, and isn't usable.  There's a lot of things done for P57-2 already, but we're taking a very methodical and gradual process to reassembly, and that means there isn't a usable build for it at present.  And without a usable build, there's nothing to show.

Likely, the first step of a new P57-2 usable build will be getting all 3 levels of RHW-2 working (which, at present, are basically a complete network in the rebuild process), and go from there.

-Alex