• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bombardiere's London, British and Other BATs

Started by bombardiere, February 15, 2016, 10:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Indeed the UV Map is wrong, it could only cover the extremes of the building in the texture. If it covers the black part (alpha channel) then it will require adjustment.

Instead of fighting with this, if you are having real problems, send me the model and I can probably get to the bottom of it.

bombardiere

Thanks. I attach three offending buildings.

I just don' get it. I try double and halve the values in the Reader, but I don't get a breakthrough.

I haven't yet done the nightlights.

I am currently trying to figure out how to do customs tight LODs for the foundation. It turns out it wasn't as simple as I thought.

mgb204

I think I see the problem.

I can't explain UV mapping well, I struggle with it enough, even if I understand what it's doing. Think of a texture, the top left is grid point 0,0 the bottom right is 1,1. Anything that is lower than 0 or higher than 1 in these terms will repeat the texture. One axis is the width (U), the other is the height (V).

Look at the model Clerkenwell Alley_SD_DN. For the faulty S3Ds, you can see that the box (UV Mapping) around the model is clearly not big enough, hence the texture is compressed or squashed. Bearing this in mind, look again at the U and V values, note how any value above .5 when doubled will be more than 1. Since we know this texture should not be repeated, that means that value must be correct (or at the least, doubling it isn't the solution). In short, for these problems, it's only the U value that needs adjusting by a factor or two.

Whereas the other two models, you can clearly see the box (UV Mapping) in these cases is much larger than the area of the texture. This means for those we have to half the values, but once more only the U value is affected.

So that's really all you were doing wrong in the end, adjusting both the height and the width. Hopefully understanding the UV mapping a little better you will be able to determine what adjustment is required for a given situation in future.

See attached fixed models, I hope that puts this problem to bed :).

bombardiere

Thank you.  :thumbsup: I appreciate this. :)

I will try to study the files to better understand what I did wrong. Oh yes. first I tried the V column and then both U and V, so no wonder it did not do anything useful,  ::)

I still have do the nightlight, so I assume that this distortion show up again. But hopefully I only need to follow your numbers and get it right. :)

I am bit struggling with the foundations. The way I built those makes an annoying trench. My first idea didn't work, but I have now two more things to try. If those will not work, I think I just do a compromise. I am not taking the prop foundation / prop building route for this building.

kelis

Fantastic job, these models are a fantastic add to the game. There are a lot of office buildings and Highrises from UK but there are not to many w2w buildings. Thanks for your job !
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

mgb204

Quote from: bombardiere on March 02, 2016, 11:59:49 PM
I still have do the nightlight, so I assume that this distortion show up again. But hopefully I only need to follow your numbers and get it right. :)

The nitelights will only generate new FSH files, so the S3D settings should be fine for both sets. It's the process of rendering the LODs in SC4BAT where the issue is created. So assuming you don't need to change the LODs, that should be over.

QuoteI am bit struggling with the foundations. The way I built those makes an annoying trench. My first idea didn't work, but I have now two more things to try. If those will not work, I think I just do a compromise. I am not taking the prop foundation / prop building route for this building.

Reading between the lines, I think these models have had a difficult development. Not surprising given the switch to 3DS and all the problems that's thrown up. The good news though is that I'm confident, despite your struggles, that the improvements you are making huge strides towards better modelling. I know sometimes I need to get something finished and released before it destroys my motivation to continue. If that means you need to remove the foundations, I totally understand, so wouldn't look to pressure you on this. Whilst I've yet to explore this particular side, I know it's going to come up when I start making buildings. As such, I'm happy once more to take a look and see if I can't help you with the issue. For this I'd need the 3DS files/resources. Hopefully 2014 files open in 2011 without too much faff :/. LODs are something I have a bit of experience with, since those for the Rail Depot were really quite complex in the end. Necessary to ensure props could be placed inside the depot. In any case, it's always something you could add later if it doesn't work out now. It's certainly not a big enough deal IMO for anyone to ignore what are some really fantastic models.  :thumbsup:

mattb325

Quote from: bombardiere on March 02, 2016, 11:59:49 PM
Thank you.  :thumbsup: I appreciate this. :)

I will try to study the files to better understand what I did wrong. Oh yes. first I tried the V column and then both U and V, so no wonder it did not do anything useful,  ::)

I am bit struggling with the foundations. The way I built those makes an annoying trench. My first idea didn't work, but I have now two more things to try. If those will not work, I think I just do a compromise. I am not taking the prop foundation / prop building route for this building.

As the angles on the foundations are giving you grief, why not render the stairs as an underground prop? That way the main foundation will be a simply rectangle and there will be no need for complex LODs.

bombardiere

Quote from: mattb325 on March 03, 2016, 11:40:50 AM

As the angles on the foundations are giving you grief, why not render the stairs as an underground prop?

That is an interesting idea. :) Actually I have tried something similar before, but that time the Building LOD and the ground cut into the prop and it did not look good. But I may need to study this more.

I was able to fix light and the shadows accordingly C.P.'s advise so that is gone.

QuoteThat way the main foundation will be a simply rectangle and there will be no need for complex LODs.

Could you explain this a little bit, please? I tried to do a complex LOD for the foundation. So that the LOD would follow the steps and other bits. However it had no effect on the trench. Either I don't know how to do a complex LOD or the game doesn't recognise a complex LOD. Or could the Building LOD affect underground? I also tried to make the foundation LOD smaller, in similar way that many batters make props' LODs small boxes, but again either I don't know how to do it correctly or it does not do anything. I have tried the foundation as a prop, and I got interesting results. And a hovering main building :), but I am not taking that route as it would require the building to be a prop too.

QuoteThere are a lot of office buildings and Highrises from UK but there are not to many w2w buildings

Kelis, it could be that the UK is often seen like that. Especially by the foreigner like me. :) When I visit the London, the most obvious thing I see is the skyscrapers in the City and Canary Wharf and when I go outside of the centre then sooner or later I usually stumble across to a huge council block. (Mind you I have lived in one. :D ) If I travel by train then I see row after row low rise terraces or semi detached with their back gardens.

Last ones are provided by Gascooker, so in this sense SC4 has a image of England. Of course there are more, but for example in London and outside of the Bloomsbury the original Georgian terrace rows are gone. There are individual building almost everywhere, but no more of that symmetry. I may be batting a time long gone. :D

QuoteReading between the lines, I think these models have had a difficult development. Not surprising given the switch to 3DS and all the problems that's thrown up. The good news though is that I'm confident, despite your struggles, that the improvements you are making huge strides towards better modelling. I know sometimes I need to get something finished and released before it destroys my motivation to continue. If that means you need to remove the foundations, I totally understand, so wouldn't look to pressure you on this. Whilst I've yet to explore this particular side, I know it's going to come up when I start making buildings. As such, I'm happy once more to take a look and see if I can't help you with the issue. For this I'd need the 3DS files/resources. Hopefully 2014 files open in 2011 without too much faff :/. LODs are something I have a bit of experience with, since those for the Rail Depot were really quite complex in the end. Necessary to ensure props could be placed inside the depot. In any case, it's always something you could add later if it doesn't work out now. It's certainly not a big enough deal IMO for anyone to ignore what are some really fantastic models.  :thumbsup:

Thank you. Robin, you are reading right. I have had all kinds of problems, many very strange, and there has been moments when I have wanted to cry or scream out of frustration. However many problems I have, are due of my inexperience. Although my 3DS MAX is simply weird, that cannot be explained :D 

It is not all in vain, I have learnt. :) For example last night I was doing the Yard props, one of those was distorted. However, now that I understand better UV mapping and what to look in the iReader, I was able to fix it. :) So your advises adn the fix were very useful.

QuoteI know sometimes I need to get something finished and released before it destroys my motivation to continue

This time is now. :D  I know there are still some bugs but this model is going to the production line. :) I will learn and next one will have still more improvements.

Robin after I have had some time to take breath, I think we need to discuss about the automata. Hopefully you got my picture of a vertically challenged Routemaster. I think there is potential there, but I don't know what.  ()what()

Anyway, I would like to thank you all for the support you have given.. I am still surprised on how much friendly support and advise I have got. Both here and at Simtropolis.  &apls It certainly has helped me to push this project along and makes me think positively about further projects.

mattb325

Quote from: bombardiere on March 04, 2016, 01:18:19 AM
Quote from: mattb325 on March 03, 2016, 11:40:50 AM

As the angles on the foundations are giving you grief, why not render the stairs as an underground prop?

That is an interesting idea. :) Actually I have tried something similar before, but that time the Building LOD and the ground cut into the prop and it did not look good. But I may need to study this more.

I was able to fix light and the shadows accordingly C.P.'s advise so that is gone.

QuoteThat way the main foundation will be a simply rectangle and there will be no need for complex LODs.

Could you explain this a little bit, please? I tried to do a complex LOD for the foundation. So that the LOD would follow the steps and other bits. However it had no effect on the trench. Either I don't know how to do a complex LOD or the game doesn't recognise a complex LOD. Or could the Building LOD affect underground? I also tried to make the foundation LOD smaller, in similar way that many batters make props' LODs small boxes, but again either I don't know how to do it correctly or it does not do anything. I have tried the foundation as a prop, and I got interesting results. And a hovering main building :), but I am not taking that route as it would require the building to be a prop too.

Sorry, I probably didn't make it clear enough.
The shape of your terraces are essentially just a box, so continue the foundation for those terraces as you are doing: these foundations are also just a box (until you add the stairs, which of course adds angles and protrusions, and hence the glitches you are seeing). So I would separate the brick 'foundation' and stairs into five separate models. One foundation would be for the standard terrace and another foundation for the corner terrace and three props would be the stairs: one small ortho for the doorways, one large ortho for the carriageway and one diagonal. Also with this method, you will be able to make the slope tolerance more extreme as the stairs will be props and can then overhang the lot (whereas the foundation can't).

I would add some extra detail to the foundation, eg: basement windows, continue the downpipe, etc. which will really make it as lively as the main model  ;)

bombardiere

I have finally done with the fine tuning lotting etc. Hurray! It only took a month or so. :D

To celebrate this I have made my first uploads to the LEX. Two versions of the townhouses, HD and SD and my British Boxes props.

All versions can exist in the same city as the Bats, lots and desc are separate. But I see no reason for that. ;)

Something new might be coming. And yes, it is Georgian and from Clerkenwell. :D

vortext

Congrats and thank you for the release!  &apls

The models are very nice, and the additional props are great as well. Looking forward to your new project!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kelis

Yep, Congrats and thank you for the release, some nice buildings  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

romualdillo

Congratulations and thank you for the release! Keep the good work!!  &apls

bombardiere

I think many has seen it already, but I post a few photos of my latest project here too.

I call this as Clerkenwell Library as I need small wall-to-wall civic buildings really bad. Well, as I know how to bat, I can fulfil my own needs. :D

This is based on a real life building, the Karl Marx Memorial Library. No, not at the former East Germany, but in London's Clerkenwell. :) Actually just around the corner where the buildings I based on the terrace row is located.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx_Memorial_Library

I am still working with the textures and I have changed the red brick version from this picture. The bricks are too prominent and I have made some changes. 

By the way. I did ask this at Simtropol, but I didn't got help I was looking for, so I ask it here. I am looking for a Photoshop / Gimp brush for water stains and marks. On the roof line at the top of the wall. I like to use ready made brushes and may be someone can point me towards a suitable brush for rainwater streaks.

Simmer2

Excellent!!

Now we need a building along those line for a turn of the century rail station.....

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

c.p.

Very nicely done :thumbsup:

(Unfortunately I don't know of any Photoshop/Gimp water stain brushes :( )

bombardiere

Some of you probably have seen my latest work at the Simtropolis, but I think it is time to show it here too.

My historical Scrab Metal Yard. Steptoe % Son.

Simmer2 has been a huge help in creating custom textures and with the lotting. He really brought out my idea well. And that is quite nifty STR rail garbage disposal depot. He got the STR paths to function so that freight and passenger trains can pass the lot. Great job and once again thank you Simmer2

romualdillo

I love this idea! I think I'm going to copy your concept someday...  ::) :D The lots look awesome. Great work you both!

Simmer2

I'm very glad I could help.
Bombardiere I will be working on those other models very soon.
I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

bombardiere

Quote from: romualdillo on June 21, 2016, 10:56:02 AM
I love this idea! I think I'm going to copy your concept someday...  ::) :D

What they say in the art world, "Copying is the the greatest complement?" :D I got my idea from CasperVG's recycle yard. http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3296
But that was too modern to my taste, so I wanted to create my own. ;) And add some special function. May be you can do a Spanish version. That would be interesting to see. :)

I have now uploaded this lot to LEX too.

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3380

And it seems that I managed to mispell the title. Urgh I spell like dyslectic little puppy. Is there a way to correct the title without having to re-upload everything? If I use the author's tools and edit, then it goes to re-upload the all. :(

Anyway, while I am in it, I show a quick preview of my current work. Nothing very exciting, in my usual small Georgian building style.

It is based on a real building in a place called Godmanchester. Somewhere in the Cambridgeshire I believe. A small rural buidling which I plan to offer as CO$$. I am in need of small commercial buildings, so I can fill the caps.

Inspiration comes from weird places and this one I found while browsing Sketchup's 3Dwarehouse. The Sketchup models do not make a good SC4 BAT and anyway I don't want take someone's work and claim its mine, but those are a great source of inspiration and data.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=3fd8639865c21a54dec1b3e5b450774

I didn't do an exact copy and I added an extension, which can be seen in the Google Earth. This is just my impression of typical English house from late 18th or early 19th Century.

This is a preview only and I am working with the colouring and saturation and I would welcome feedback. :)