• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SFBT-Project: Realistic Modular Containerterminals

Started by Sam Johnson, May 13, 2009, 08:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Johnson

SFBT-Project: Realistic Modular Container Terminals

Hello everybody,  :)
In this thread I want to show you the progress of a large projekt of the SFBT: Realistic Modular Container Terminals.
Like the name says this project is all about container terminals. I was always a big fan of large ports, and yes this time there are already some BATs of container cranes,straddle carriers and many other cranes or vehicles you'll find in modern cotainer terminals. But I think the variation and some things are still completly lacking, and in my opinion many things are too small and therefore off scale, espacially the containerships. So I batted some cranes,straddle carriers and ships but the Project is of course not finished, the BATs which are done so far, are just a part of the projekt more will follow soon  ;)

That's what I've done so far:

Here are some rubber tyred gantry cranes (RTGs). More variations of them will follow  ;) I've batted them last week:

As you can see here are some big container ships, so far I've got 4 variations but I think 2 or more will follow.  :)

Here is large container crane or portainer, which I started not along time ago, but I had this time not the time to finish it  &mmm

here you can see a Reach staker, I batted a while ago, but I'm not completly happy with the result  &Thk/(

you can see here some typical straddle carriers, which you can find in many ports. There is a untextured render picture from 3dsmax and a gmax render picture from texrured variations  ;)

That are just a few Containers, which just are added to jestarrs containers. I hope jestarrs does not mind if I add them to his prop family  ;D

This here is a finished Container crane based on the design of container cranes in Bremerhaven

That crane here is a typical crane you'll find in many ports all over the world  :)

And at last some european container loaded trucks  ;)

Well I said there will be modular container terminals but this time I have no lots because there too many BATs lacking, yet . But I hope I can change that next time  ;)

Criticism ans suggestions are always welcome  :)

Edit: Please Note that my english not the best, but I hope everything is understandable  &mmm

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

Ennedi

Gantry cranes are perfect.
Container ships - look very good, more variations would be nice, including an unloaded ship.
The large container crane - we will see, but the Bremerhaven - based version a few pictures below is excellent, if you would like to make a second one, it should be more different. A general comment to all cranes - make bright lights for them!  :)
The reach stacker looks very good, I don't know what you don't like in it  ;)
Straddle carriers - the next perfect stuff. I'm curious how all these props will look at the closest zoom  ;)
Typical cranes - the presented version is good, but you are right, there are a lot of them in ports around the world, they are often bigger and they have longer arm. It gives very characteristic touch to the typical seaport skyline.
Trucks: look good, more diversity would be nice (not containers, but trucks).

Anyway, excellent stuff!  &apls &apls &apls
It will be very important to design lots thoughtfully, to make the whole set as flexible and diversified as possible.

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

ehbk2006

Good luck  :thumbsup:

If you need some trains props for container shuttles, just pm.  ;)
My BAT Showcase: ehbk2006's traffic BAT's
My sketchup models on the 3d warehouse.
[RDY]: Veolia - Coal hopper + E189

Orange_o_

It is really the very beautiful work, and I do not see critics to be said  &apls

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

metarvo

Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

BarbarossaS

OMG!!! These look gorgeous!  &apls &apls
Fabulous work, hope you'll get to release it soon!  :thumbsup:

And btw, your English isn't bad at all, no need to worry!

-Stijn-

Sam Johnson

@Robin (rooker1): Thank you  :)

@Adam (ennedi): I'm glad that you like my port stuff and thanks to the criticsm at the typical crane, I wall change the size of the arm ;)

@ehbk2006 :Thanks for the offer, your train Bats are really nice  :thumbsup:

@Orange_o : Thank you Orange I'm glad that a BAT Master like you like my stuff  :)

@io_bg : Thanks  :)

metarvo: Thank you  :)

BarbarossaS: Thank you,too  :)

I think, that I can post at the latest on Sunday some progress of the projekt  ;)

Pat

WoW Sam this is amazing progress here and I will be following for sure!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

k808j

Even though I'm not a seaport bubba, those are excellent renditions. Reminds me of Norfolk and Newports News, Va

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

allan_kuan1992

Did I just see a huge traffic jam there? :D

Anyway, your creations are very good... but you may want to ensure that your set is interoperable with BSC so that I can use both sets in harmony =)

- Allan Kuan

Ennedi

@Sam Johnson: I'm sure that your seaport set will be very good!  :thumbsup:

1. What do I think about typical cranes?

They are used rather in cargo areas, where not only containers are loaded - but it would be great to have them too!

2. Do you want to make something really new? Think about the concrete texture to cover roads in the seaport area! Neither streets (especially if somebody uses the sidewalk mod in the city) nor roads don't harmonize well with large concrete seaport and other industrial areas. What I suggest is an overhanging lot to cover a stretch of road  ;)

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Gwail

Extraordinary job, very good idea. I'll be watching the progress carefully  :thumbsup:.

Quote from: Ennedi on May 13, 2009, 06:01:12 PM
2. Do you want to make something really new? Think about the concrete texture to cover roads in the seaport area! Neither streets (especially if somebody uses the sidewalk mod in the city) nor roads don't harmonize well with large concrete seaport and other industrial areas. What I suggest is an overhanging lot to cover a stretch of road  ;)
I was already thinking about it, according to the airport improvement. How about new SAM texture set - the road markings just painted on the concrete tile? If the base texture will be chosen carefully (my type is a original maxis concrete texture used as apron by Voltaire), it would fit industrial / seaport / airport areas :).
My misc works thread:
GWL workshop

Sam Johnson

@Pat: thanks  :)

@k808j: thank you, too

@ennedi and Gwail : I agree that  cranes like them are really lacking in Sc4 and of course I don't bat them for the container terminals they are rather for the break bulk ports, If I have the time I could start to bat some more of them  ;) The idea with the streets in the port or industrial area sounds really good, but you should know I have not so much experience with photoshop but it's worth a try I think. If I would do those textures I'd need some help with the modding, because I never did any transit modding like this.

Well at this moment there's no progress, because I just came from school a while ago.

k808j

Sam, may I suggest you start a team for seaports bubbas.

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

tag_one

Wonderful work on your container terminal props Sam! I don't say this often, but your props are nicer then my container stuff :D  Especially the RTG's are great and very well detailed.
I can't imagine all the time and effort you must have put in this project. I'm really looking forward to the day you upload this  ;)

FrankU

Sam, this is great work!
I am really curious what you are coming up with.
We now have, as far as I know:
- PEG's container port and related stuff
- Somy's containerport (one lot!)
- Soulstealer's stuff for seaports, very flexible
- Some assorted things like containerstacks etc. Didn't Bixel make one upload at STEX?
- Tag_One's work in progress
- Your work in progress
There are also some lots by BarbyW, but I think they are too full of props and not flexible enough.

All these lots will make for really varied ports.

Sam Johnson

@:Tag_one: Thank you, I really like your Port props,too  :) I started this project before you realeaed you container terminal props. Maybe I can adjust everything so, that our props fit well together  ;)

@.FrankU: Thank you, too. Well I know there are many port sets available this time, but from your list are in my opinien only 2 (uncounted mine) sets realistic: The port stuff with yomans crane props on soulstealers lots, and tag_ones stuff in Progress.

Over the weekend I was busy with one of my cranes, I think the modelling is done so far. I'll no go one with the texturing  ;)

Criticism and suggestions are welcome  :)

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November