• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Additional SAM textures - Nominations open

Started by Diggis, April 12, 2008, 11:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

Zakuten:  This isn't a request thread.  This is for people who have a texture they want to add themselves.

Pat: Good start with the base textures, but the wear marks are a little strong.  You really just want some discolouration of the base, a pair of darker stripes either side of the centre.

AJ: Yeah!  Thats the baby.  I really like the crosswalks, and it's nicer without the yellow.  This will be a great set. You might be able to do an option set with the yellow banding for MG, but thinking about it now it is more suited to a more basic texture.

Casper: Good start.  A couple of ideas.  Download the set nardo liked and sample his work.  If you borrow the straight one to start with and modify it to your tastes and then use it to do all the rest you aren't really stealing his work.  I would suggest with the marking it's too white.  Pure white is the devil... try adding a noise filter (monochromatic if possible) to it like AJ did.  Just breaks it up a little.

The is going great guys.  We have 3 so far.  Look forward to a few more.

Alfred.Jones

Sim City 4 Devotion

squidi

AJ: i like your textures alot but i didnt like the yellow stripes and also the new crossing you made. in my opinion it would look best without such things.

Diggis

I like crossings, not sold on the yellow strips myself.  Squidi, remember these aren't everywhere.  They always look more intense untill you get them into a game situation.

Jonathan

Looks good AJ, but I personnaly prefer it without the yellow stripes, wy not try replacing a current SAM set and see how it looks, just temporarily?

Diggis

Because I haven't passed on the info to do that yet....  &ops 

If you upload them to the thread I'll prepare them for you quickly without Alpha Maps etc to test.

Alfred.Jones

Yeah, I think it is a bit much with the yellow stripes ;D

I'll leave it with just the crosswalk :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

mightygoose

i think its an either or situation, either crosswalks or stripes, not both.....my personal preference would be the stripes but if the consensus is crosswalks go with it, i would ask though that if possible you could send me the striped versions (if they exist) so when diggis releases the tutorial i can use them personally.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

sithlrd98

AJ , I agree that the textures look great  &apls but definitely leave the yellow out! The  brick zebra crosswalk looks good also!

Diggis

Come one people, I know AJ has set the bar high, but surely there are more of you willing to give this a go.  &mmm

squidi

i was just working on somthing and tried it in the game.
i found out that the brick is not really visible like i thought while creating them :(
do you think there are some potential to work more on them ?

Diggis

It's not that bad.  I quite like it.  You might be able to make the texture a bit larger.  You would probably benifit from the angles on the corners like AJ has.

What you need to do now is add some wear to them.  As I said to Pat:  2 darker patches on either side of the centre to show tyre marks.

mightygoose

damn thats roman roads right there... it might end up with several alternative sets.... like historical SAM rural SAM scifi SAM generic SAM etc, as soon as i get some free time i will postify some of my ideas...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Andreas

@squidi: That looks very nice, and introduces a mediterranean feeling into the game indeed! The bricks/rocks should be a bit larger, and I think it would look better if you'd actually make a curve rather than a rectangular corner.
Andreas

jplumbley

Quote from: squidi on April 16, 2008, 04:58:17 AM
i was just working on somthing and tried it in the game.
i found out that the brick is not really visible like i thought while creating them :(
do you think there are some potential to work more on them ?

I think this is very good!!  I see what you mean about the bricks not showing up well, but they do have a nice texture to them.  Maybe if you scaled up the brick size a bit it would look more like what you are looking for.  Definately this is worth it to keep working on.

@Alfred.Jones  Personally I dont like both the yellow lines and the cross walk and feel it takes away from the overall look of your cobblestone.  I would say go with one or the other.  I like the crosswalk, but if you were to choose that I would scale the size of that down a little bit.  Still looking good though keep it up.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

squidi

andreas i first wanted to make a curve and i also think it would look much better but i have no idea how to make with gimp the brick to a curve too. i tried a bit around but nothing worked.
do some of you have an idea ?

RebaLynnTS

Maybe I should do some Louisiana, pothole filled, streets?
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

jplumbley

Quote from: RebaLynnTS on April 16, 2008, 06:17:35 AM
Maybe I should do some Louisiana, pothole filled, streets?

We have some Low wealth potholly textures coming.  More cracked than potholly, but the pot holes will become repetitious and wont look as good as you think as they will get repeated every tile.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Alfred.Jones

Quote from: jplumbley on April 16, 2008, 06:00:25 AM
@Alfred.Jones  Personally I dont like both the yellow lines and the cross walk and feel it takes away from the overall look of your cobblestone.  I would say go with one or the other.  I like the crosswalk, but if you were to choose that I would scale the size of that down a little bit.  Still looking good though keep it up.

I have decided to go with the crosswalk ;) I might be able to use the yellow lines on a rail crossing ()what()

Sim City 4 Devotion

RebaLynnTS

JP: I didn't really think potholes would look "nice" anyway :) Some low wealth street textures, are a good idea though, glad someone is working on them.

Alfred: Yellow lines for the rail would be nice
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat