• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Introduction to "CWRIB" Concrete Walls for Ramps, Inclines, and Bridges

Started by onlycoop, May 19, 2009, 02:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onlycoop

Introduction to "CWRIB" Concrete Walls for Ramps, Inclines, and Bridges
     Hello all I wanted to show you the project I have been working on. I still have awhile to go,
but wanted to see what you think of it. Curruntly it works with RHW,roads, one-ways ,and avenues.
I'm working on MIS props now and have not decided yet if i will make them for the Maxis Highways.
     These are simple concrete walls for the underside of elevated roads. I'm trying to come up with
the most versatile way of doing this, so that you can make up a lot for about any situation. I hope
you like it, so tell me what you  think and if you have any suggestions please don't be shy i'll try to
answer back as soon as i can. I will be updating this when i can to be more of a beginners guide on
how to use the CWRIB.But here is a few screen shot of what you will be able to do and much more
hopefully.
                                                                             Onlycoop

Luke09

it looks a good project but the tunnel just looks so,unreal  &mmm
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

mike3775

Quote from: Luke09 on May 19, 2009, 03:38:49 PM
it looks a good project but the tunnel just looks so,unreal  &mmm

That tunnel looks like the one in the city a few miles away from me looks.  All that tunnel is is nothing but a giant pipe shoved underneath a 4 lane roadway above it

I like what you have achieved so far onlycoop

tamorr

I love the way you did the center one over the RHW, that looks nice... I have to agree with mike that I've seen those before in some areas of the US. All of them look nice and just right. So they are props for Lots, is that what you mean...? That deffinately is a good idea in my opinion if that is the case. I definately would mind seeing more and await your tutorial that will probably explain the use a lot more, even if I can see how useful it already will be to me and those other whom like em'.
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

onlycoop

Yes it's going to be a large collection of offset props for about anything you can think of. Right now it's just for straight stuff i'm going to do diagonals, but i'm kinda waiting to see what NAM team is going to have, and straight props is going to push file size to the limit i think. So if people like it once i release the prop set i'll make a add-on for things not covered in first release like diagonals and so on. I hope to start putting the tutorial together this weekend, work primiting.

Pat

looking good there and I cant wait to see some more progress here onlycoop!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

calibanX

This is definitely needed in the game. I hope to see this available soon.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

tamorr

ooo that one looks nice... Take your time. I definately wouldn't mind the props, well at least for the straight sections, as I don't really use too many diagonals. On occassion I do, but that all depends on my mood, so having the first set as the straight pack and later Diagonal sounds like a great idea as I can see the size is deffinately going to be big... well not too big, but definately sizey I blieve. Keep up the great work... ()stsfd()
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

onlycoop

Sorry everyone i've been working alot for the last month and have not been able to get into making the tutorail for this.
I have worked out the naming of everthing I think for the most part. Also i have partnered up with Xyloxadoria from Siptropolis, he or she (don't know right now) show me a texture that i cropped i beleive to make a pretty good seamless square texture. heres a pic with it on the props hope you like and i hope to get this out soon, just bad timing by me &mmm

Have fun and enjoy,
                                                                                                 Onlycoop

Swamper77

My only criticism is the low height on the sides. In real life, trucks, buses, and other taller vehicles would strike these lower sides of the arches. Trucks and other slower vehicles are usually kept to the outer lanes, and are usually prohibited from using the lane next to the median. With your arches, they would have to drive in the lane next to the median to get the proper clearance. I know SimCity isn't realistic with a lot of things, but we can make changes via custom content that we add to the game. ;)

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

mike3775

Quote from: Swamper77 on June 09, 2009, 08:36:38 PM
My only criticism is the low height on the sides. In real life, trucks, buses, and other taller vehicles would strike these lower sides of the arches. Trucks and other slower vehicles are usually kept to the outer lanes, and are usually prohibited from using the lane next to the median. With your arches, they would have to drive in the lane next to the median to get the proper clearance. I know SimCity isn't realistic with a lot of things, but we can make changes via custom content that we add to the game. ;)

-Jan

Actually there are places where it seems that trucks would not be able to go, and they make it easily

My friend is a truck driver and when I went with him on the road a couple weeks ago, there were bridges that looked like that, and I said he wouldn't make it, and he said yes he will and made it through with no problem.

JoeST

The overall thickness of the bridge in the middle is kinda unrealistic, to my untrained eye :D though the addition of these is awesome, thankyou. and they look good even with the 'unrealism'

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

onlycoop

Thanks for the feed back everyone, on the egde lane the height of the arch is little over 4 or 5 meters (12 to 15 feet). And as for the thickness of the center, i set the top of the arch at 10 meters I did this so that when using them with the RHW i thought you didn't see enough of the arch. it would not be that hard for me to change it back to the way i had it be for but i kinda like the way they look now, but here is a pic of the old arch i had before i changed them.

i thought the way it looked you didn't see enough of the arch but if ppl tell me they like it better i'll rebat it with the new texture and post a pic it later when i have a chance to.

Onlycoop

Swamper77

The old ones look like they have sufficient room compared to the newer models. I wouldn't have to worry about double decker buses hitting the arches while they are in the lane next to the shoulder.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

sithlrd98

I like how this project is going! Xyloxadorias' textures look really good on these. I'm still a little fuzzy about how these are to be implemented...lots or are you going to T-21? (The  would probably be the best...I think ;D)

Jayson

mike3775

Either is good enough for me

Both look great

Maybe release both versions and let the players decide what they want to use?

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: sithlrd98 on June 10, 2009, 05:31:37 PM
I like how this project is going! Xyloxadorias' textures look really good on these. I'm still a little fuzzy about how these are to be implemented...lots or are you going to T-21? (The  would probably be the best...I think ;D)

Jayson

As I understand it, they will be lots with over hanging props.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

nerdly_dood

One alternative is to use your newer arch style, but raise it up so there's less material between the top road surface and the gap under the arch.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

onlycoop

becuase i'm doing slope changes with ramps (0 and 5) and inclines (8,10,14, and 15). each one will keep the textures aligned right. it's all about positions and positioning of the props, and because of that there are going to be multipules of the same prop just on a different X and Y locations. Yes much of this maybe able to be T-21 , but like with the inclines and ramps textures become warpped when you change from level to a slope. Also being able to control the legth of arches I don't think could be controlled right by T-21. Becuase if you put a rail next to a street how would you tell it to do a 2-tile wide arch instead of two 1-tile wide arches.
Ok heres a pic of the new arches i made, I raised them up by 2 meters higher then in first pic the of them. the 4-tile wide one i think i'm going to have to just remake it if that is not tall enough it's going on 7 meters were the lane starts now.