• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DC's Transit BATs

Started by DCMetro2834, August 03, 2010, 05:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCMetro2834

Oh, I see....I don't exactly know why that didn't make sense the first time I tried it...

Well, anyway, thanks a bunch for posting...I'll try raising a bit and see what happens..

DC

DCMetro2834

Ok, I'm back after a while.....

I fixed the issue with the "shadow" glitch on the platform, but now I have another issue.....one end of the platform is raised a little bit.

The platform thickness is .25, so not sure why it is happening.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated....

DC

DCMetro2834

So, after a month-long break from BAT, I got a chance to fire up BAT this morning and experiment with some ideas.

I integrated the props into my BAT as Jason recommended, and so far, everything looks good. I am going to make a low-quality render soon to make sure that the it looks okay in game.

Changes I've made since my last update:

I altered the roof (wing) texture a bit....and I dimmed the lights and merged the props into the model.

Future plans:

I will adjust the night lights more to see if I can't balance them out a little bit, and make the props' lights brighter.

Sorry for the links, but the images are very oversized....

An HD Day Render
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7578/greenbeltdaynov11.jpg

And an HD Night Render
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4751/greenbeltnightnov11.jpg

Thanks for viewing and commenting!!

DC

DCMetro2834

Even though this is kinda a one-man thread, I have some new work to present to everyone while I mess around with the Greenbelt LOD.

It is "Aquarium MBTA Station" in Boston, Massachusetts. It's near downtown and Boston's aquarium.

My BAT is loosely based on this image I took when I was in Boston last year.

This is my version so far....
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7508/aquarimstation112810.png

A lot of the fine details are yet to be added, but this is a basic start.

Any critique or comments are welcome.

-DC

Une_ame

No remarks on the aquarium yet but I keep on looking the developments of your DC Metrorail station  :thumbsup: and I'm wondering if you plan to release it soon ?
babuloziwad / adj Above perfection in SC4; Dude, this MOD is ~ !

DCMetro2834

Quote from: Une_ame on November 30, 2010, 06:20:06 AM
No remarks on the aquarium yet but I keep on looking the developments of your DC Metrorail station  :thumbsup: and I'm wondering if you plan to release it soon ?

Well, it really all depends on when I figure out the LOD....really the only time consuming thing left is to fix the LOD so the station shows up correctly.

So, I can't give a definite time, but at the earlier it will be sometime in mid-December, and that's if I can fix this LOD quickly.

DC

DCMetro2834

Well, I've gotten a little caught up in RL lately, but managed to BAT a bit in the last week or so.

I decided to render the platform as a prop, and model the light poles, signs, etc. into the platform. The mainframe of the station will serve as the "building" in this lot.

On the topic of roof textures....I decided to look into that in some free time today, here's the result...

I was bearing in mind that it will appear lighter in game, and against the light platform, which will also contrast to that.

Full size image: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DC3479/Greenbelt/greenbelt_dec25_2.jpg

Happy holidays!  :satisfied:

DC

Aaron Graham

Looks great, I would love to learn how to modd things like that.
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Une_ame

DCMetro2834

*Dusts off thread*

Thanks you guys for the compliments!

Exams and RL have kept me pretty busy for awhile, but I managed to find time for BAT amid all the madness.  :)

Well, I've been looking over some various advice from the ST BAT thread, and it's led me to put together some pics for you.

What I've done:

I've added a concrete base to the platform, so the sides don't look as out of place.
I put in some new nightlights for the platform.

What I'm going to do

I'm going to add some realistic props to the platform (benches, ticket kiosks).
I'm am going to go back to the shelter and add some nightlights to it.

Now, I have the pics! (Click for full resolution)

When I first made them, I thought the nightlights made the poles look a little too orange, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say.

DC

Une_ame

Right now, those nightlights are perfect ?  :thumbsup:

cammo2003

I do think they do look just a *smidgin* bright. Otherwise, the platform looks great. In particular those platform markings look fantastic.

DCMetro2834

Replies

Une_ame: Thanks a lot!
Cammo2003: Thanks, I did turn the nightlights down a bit. ;) I will show another nightlight pic soon.

Well, I decided to dim the nightlights a bit, plus I added a ticket kiosk in there. The ticket kiosks look so fat because I put them back to back, so they would be on both sides.  I removed one of the light poles, so I could fit the 48-meter-long shelter in the middle.

Besides any minor changes, the platform is basically complete. If anything jumps out to you as being odd, please tell me now.

Here's the progress pic! (Click for full resolution)

peter007

Nice Platform, but Is it real that those lights are so fat at the end. And matbe you should add a bit benches and some peoples. Take a look at this picture you see that it's very busy. But I like your textures DC

Une_ame

I used to take the DC Metrorail lines for something like 2 years and as far as I remember, it's far less crowded than what I've seen in Paris.  :satisfied:

DCMetro2834

Replies

Peter007: Thanks a lot for reply, first off.  ;D I was originally going to put benches out on the platform, but decided against it because there was no more room. Then I contemplated putting the benches under the shelter;  but then, I think you would only be able to see part of them, so it would look a little odd. 

In the matter of lights, I am going to redo the models so they are smaller and fit in better.  ;)

As for people, I will definitely put some people-props on in Lot Editor when I load the station in it.

Une_ame: Yes, when I was on the DC Metro, the only fairly busy time was rush hour, and even then, there wasn't a whole lot of people.  :P

My overall question for you all is: Do you think I should try put some benches under the platform even though it might look odd?

Any feedback here is much appreciated!

DC

peter007

Trying doesn't cost anything so I would say try it.

Nexis4Jersey

Why not an EL-Rail DC Metro station , which would look more realistic....

DCMetro2834

Replies

Thanks for your comments!

Peter007: Ok, I also have another idea I am trying that I will show you.  ;)

Nexis 4 Jersey: It's interesting that you bring that up. The actual Greenbelt Metrorail Station is similar to an EL Rail Station. But, it is more like the viaduct stations that we have for heavy rail in SC4. When the train leaves the station, it doesn't go onto an elevated rail; to the train, it is still ground, it just has a higher elevation, as you can see below...

At the beginning of the station, I contemplated whether to make it EL rail or not, but I decided against it because unless it was an EL rail viaduct, it would look out of place. Maybe not the best reasoning, but if I were to make an EL rail station as well, it wouldn't be too challenging; as I already have the the uppermost part.

Eventually, I will probably end up making an EL rail version...

But, that's the whole story behind it...

I should have some pics of my new idea and the benches later on today...

DC

DCMetro2834

Pardon the double post but.....

Well, 3 days and I have some new major changes to Greenbelt. I added some escalators in there, since crossing the tracks would be a bit treacherous.

I just wanted to give you all something to look at my progress so far. As always, comments from the peanut gallery are welcome.
Full size image: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DC3479/Greenbelt/greenbelt_east_2_10_11.jpg

And a close up of an escalator with the walls (the other doesn't have them yet)