• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NYC R36 "Redbird" model.

Started by snakee8, July 29, 2011, 12:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snakee8

Hello All,

I'm currently working on the famous R36 "Redbird" NYC subway car. My intention was to release this as a prop pack so others could have the ability to create long realistic subway trains with different graffiti pieces on each car, reflective of early-mid 1980's NYC. I also planned on releasing it as a model so others could mod it as automata (although only one skin would be able to be used). Unfortunately, this project has got the better of me and I simply do not have the time, patience, or ability to continue. I really would hate to see this model go to waste so I'm hoping this may be of interest to some of the BAT'ing/ texturing guru's in the community. I'm asking for the following:
HD export  (HD export keeps crashing on my end)
UVW skin so others could create skins in a photo editing program, attach, and export the model for their personal use (similar to the PSP skin I attached below)

If this is of interest to any of you please send me a PM and I will forward the model (3ds) and textures to you and hopefully we can complete this.

Aaron Graham

Looks great, I''m part of the NYBT team so you know i should like this, keep up the great job, d,o you think you can make the ele rails to??
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

snakee8

Thanks Aaron. I actually had your team in mind when I was working on this and thinking how good it would look going over a reskined EL-rail passing one of your phenomenal BAT's. This model was quite the mess when I got it and I've about reached my whits end with it. This was actually an old model that I received a while ago and it was such a mess I had to pretty much redo everything... so much for saving time  :'( . I actually was thinking that after (if) this project is done (hopefully someone will take it over) I was going to continue my work on the 3rd rail piece I started working on hoping to implement it into the in game el rail. BTW if your interested in taking a look at the model shoot me a PM and maybe if you have a free minute you can take a look at it and see if you see any issues. Another or multiple sets of eyes on this would be appreciated.

Aaron Graham

Yes, you can try to send it to me, just PM me, what wrong withe the model?
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

snakee8

Ill send it to you momentarily. I don't think there's much of a problem with the model but you have more experience with this than I do. The main problem is I want to export this as HD so the finer details show but MAX crashes on my end at like 45% (SD worked fine). I'm thinking it could be related to memory on my end but I have 8 gigs and that should be more than enough. I've tried other models including my first version of a subway car and it works fine....so I'm a little confused on what the culprit could be. Also, How are your skills with UVM mapping? I'm thinking that this could be done, placed on a blank background and that would allow for multiple skins to be placed fairly easily. I did this with a Nascar Racing 2003 car model but it had way less parts and was years ago so I'm unsure of the proper procedure for this as I'm fairly new to MAX.

Aaron Graham

WOw!!! your model is highly detail, you put so much details on it, I can say your better than me on detailing, it would take me months to finish this train with that much details. :Thumbsup:

snakee8

some progress tonight with my limited time. managed to skin a famous piece done by DONDI circa 1980...

MR.Y

I would make the graffiti a little bit smaller, so that you can see something of the normal color of this passenger car, so I hadn't seen that some train is painted so much...

snakee8

MR. Y I appreciate the input. Future models will incorporate smaller pieces of graffiti. This was just a test for a texture map I was trying out. However, this model is accurate to the times. It's reflective of Dondi's "Children of the grave" series from the 1980's (An upcoming MD by me will be loosely based on NYC during this period). During this time many of the R36's and similar models were covered in graffiti, many including whole car pieces like this.

Aaron Graham

I thought you were using 3ds Max, your train looks great in Max. :)

DCMetro2834

Wow, I love when subway trains like this are modeled! ;D Keep up the fantastic work!  &apls

snakee8

Thanks DCMetro, I appreciate the comments.
Aaron- I was using Max previously but I couldn't get around my problem I'm having with the crashing during HD export. I just exported it and pulled it into Gmax until I can resolve the issue. I'm currently skinning the model with various pieces and hope to have it complete within the next week or so. Then I'll fiddle with Max again and see if I can get to the root of the problem starting with a fresh install. I'm sure they will look even better once I get that working.

Getron

Any new pictures? The ones I have seen a great. Good work snakee8 :thumbsup:

Keep it up.

Getron

Aaron Graham

Have you tried exporting a box in HD to see if it crash? What version of Max your using?

snakee8

Thanks Buzzit and Getron! Aaron, MAX 2011 64-bit, ya I've tried the box as well and It still crashes. I'm thinking I will just continue working with GMAX and worry about getting MAX working at a later date....I'm not the most patient person so continuing to fight with it is just adding frustration. I'm sure the issue is with my install. I'm just going to take the easiest option, find a good step by step tutorial and reinstall MAX and Bat4MAX 5. After that I'm sure my problems will be solved. In the meantime I've imported a few skins, please ignore the minor visual glitch by the catenary I didn't pay much attention to the placement on the lot as this was simply a test ...

- on a side note... does anybody know of a street/ave mod that prevents all grass edges and the flora/street lights that fill the middle of the avenue? I currently use Pegs no junk mod/ euro sidewalk textures for the uniform concrete look but I've found nothing that prevents the flora/lights in the center of the avenue. I'm working on a Northeast styled MD and if any of you live in the Northeast US like I do, there is nothing like that in any urban center.

Aaron Graham

You may need to download some updates 3ds Max 11, Max always has some sort of errors, I use 3ds Max12 if you want to use 3ds Max 12 you will have to download 3ds Max updates to fix some of 3ds Max errors. :D