• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

autoVino's bat projects

Started by autoVino, July 09, 2007, 07:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoVino

Okay, this is a decent sized update I guess.

I've worked out some memory issues (so click on the image below to view full zoom five... as a proof of concept), but meanwhile here is an update:

I don't know how much more detail this is capable of because this is really pushing my working computer to the limit!  I'm running out of easy mental ray tricks to save memory... before long I will have to render this beast in parts because the image output is just too big  $%Grinno$%

I may run this through photo-shop or compositing software before I create the final model file for sim-city effect, but that will require a little playing with the scripts.  I will also explain this later whether it works or if it doesn't.

threestooges

Nicely done, and it's good to see you around again. Let us know when you do get it exported and if you'd like we can see about getting it lotted and/or modded for you.
-Matt

builderbuiltoff

thats looks great, are you gonna reals them. ()what()

joelyboy911

Is it designed to fit in with one of the canal/river systems? Specifically I'm asking which one?

The design looks really good to me. You could also render the crane and ship on their own, as they would look really good as individual props.

Anyway, excellent modelling.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

autoVino

I have night lights more or less done, but I don't have a good render of it (once again memory availability is kicking my a$$).
I am planning to use some volumetric effects to light up the crane (with good bright 1000w bulbs), so I have to get creative with this because volumetrics don't work too well in orthographic projection.

Luckily, using parabolic lens, one can create orthographic projection (ie telescopic method).
This is what I mean: first picture is normal orthographic projection:

This is a perspective camera with angle ~ 35 deg looking onto a parabolic mirror:

The images are nearly the same!  The mirror works best when the curvature is to a minimum, and works poorly when there is a lot of curvature.

Here is another proof of concept, volumetrics in orthographic projection (via parabolic mirror)
scene set up:

render:

this is lit with 2x300w halogen bulbs.

This is all set up via script, so I'll try to polish it up a bit so that you all can use it if interested (this will of course make exporting a model more involved as well!)

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie