• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Hybrid rail and crossing GLR tracks

Started by OBthe2nd, February 27, 2023, 09:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBthe2nd

First-time poster here (active in the Reddit Simcity group).

Question I have:

I built a city full of Elevated Rails and GLR. I'm wanting to integrate my region with Hybrid Rail, but getting it over GLR is a problem.

1) Can I use the RRW Rail Puzzle Pieces (see pic immediately below this question for example) to cross, and then connect it via slopes to the Hybrid Tracks (and possibly click on the tracks with the monorail button to get the catenary poles to show)?

2) Is there a way to take the Hybrid rail underground and use subway tunnel?

3) If I use RRW tunnel (ie the pic below this question), is there a tile in that menu that routes the track underground without needing a road on top (like with the Flex Underpass Tunnels for road - there's a "blank" tile to use)?

Thanks for your help

mgb204

The legacy Viaduct Rail pieces can be used, but are not technically part of the HRW so only rail traffic will be able to use them, the same is true of the U-Rail network too.

See the additional Puzzle Rings (U-Rail spans around 5 menu items with different pieces), you want the Pedmall over U-Rail ones, which are the best way to go over blank terrain. There also exist a limited range of crossings for Roads and Avenues, including some to allow rail to run underneath roads.

But I should stress neither of these are hugely flexible, so I find it best to get U-Rail development done early, because it often dictates what you can build around it, especially when networks cross.

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: OBthe2nd on February 27, 2023, 09:58:51 PMFirst-time poster here (active in the Reddit Simcity group).

Question I have:

I built a city full of Elevated Rails and GLR. I'm wanting to integrate my region with Hybrid Rail, but getting it over GLR is a problem.

1) Can I use the RRW Rail Puzzle Pieces (see pic immediately below this question for example) to cross, and then connect it via slopes to the Hybrid Tracks (and possibly click on the tracks with the monorail button to get the catenary poles to show)?

3) If I use RRW tunnel (ie the pic below this question), is there a tile in that menu that routes the track underground without needing a road on top (like with the Flex Underpass Tunnels for road - there's a "blank" tile to use)?

Thanks for your help

First welcome to SC4DEVOTION. This forum may seem a bit inactive but we have a discord server that is always full of activity. Also for any questions about the Hybrid Railway (HRW) or request support or give suggestions to NAM developers you can do it here:

https://www.sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=18867.0

Going to answer your questions

Currently there are no FLEX pieces crossing between HRW and GLR and you can't even use the puzzle pieces of railway viaducts for two reasons.

- The puzzle pieces of the railway viaducts are located at a height L2 (15.5 M) while the HRW pieces are located at the height L1 (7.5 M)

- Using the puzzle pieces of railway viaducts breaks the functionality of HRW which would be the ability to simultaneously handle rail and monorail traffic

2 There is the mod that allows you to create HRW tunnels using the subway (Convert rail and monorail traffic to subway traffic and vice versa) because I developed it. When using this method make sure that the subway with which you simulate HRW tunnels is not connected with other subways that are used for public transport. This is important to avoid mixing of the various means of transport. Here is the link of the mod

https://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=4111

3 This is a similar talk with railway viaduct puzzle pieces. Currently the URAIL does not support HRW and therefore if you decide to use the URAIL to simulate an HRW Tunnel it is the wrong choice as you go to break the functionality of HRW. The best method is to use the Subway to simulate HRW tunnels. However, in the railway menu you will find several submenus dedicated to URAIL and then browsing these submenus you can find these transparent pieces (Blank)

OBthe2nd

Quote from: Ulisse Wolf on February 28, 2023, 10:22:26 AM
Quote from: OBthe2nd on February 27, 2023, 09:58:51 PMFirst-time poster here (active in the Reddit Simcity group).

Question I have:

Thanks for your help

First welcome to SC4DEVOTION. This forum may seem a bit inactive but we have a discord server that is always full of activity. Also for any questions about the Hybrid Railway (HRW) or request support or give suggestions to NAM developers you can do it here:

Currently there are no FLEX pieces crossing between HRW and GLR and you can't even use the puzzle pieces of railway viaducts for two reasons.

- The puzzle pieces of the railway viaducts are located at a height L2 (15.5 M) while the HRW pieces are located at the height L1 (7.5 M)

- Using the puzzle pieces of railway viaducts breaks the functionality of HRW which would be the ability to simultaneously handle rail and monorail traffic

2 There is the mod that allows you to create HRW tunnels using the subway (Convert rail and monorail traffic to subway traffic and vice versa) because I developed it. When using this method make sure that the subway with which you simulate HRW tunnels is not connected with other subways that are used for public transport. This is important to avoid mixing of the various means of transport. Here is the link of the mod

3 This is a similar talk with railway viaduct puzzle pieces. Currently the URAIL does not support HRW and therefore if you decide to use the URAIL to simulate an HRW Tunnel it is the wrong choice as you go to break the functionality of HRW. The best method is to use the Subway to simulate HRW tunnels. However, in the railway menu you will find several submenus dedicated to URAIL and then browsing these submenus you can find these transparent pieces (Blank)

Thank you for this. I may post this follow-up question in the reddit group (u/thatblkman), but if a tunnel using your mod isn't feasible or desired, and someone opts to use the digger tool to create a trench for HRW, is there a way to build road and/or GLR/El overpasses - without tiles - to cross over? This image was my attempt with the digger set at 7.5 or 8.0 - figuring out how to build an overpass with HRW at this shallow a depth has been irritating:

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: OBthe2nd on March 01, 2023, 12:31:48 PM
Quote from: Ulisse Wolf on February 28, 2023, 10:22:26 AM

Question I have:

Thanks for your help

Thank you for this. I may post this follow-up question in the reddit group (u/thatblkman), but if a tunnel using your mod isn't feasible or desired, and someone opts to use the digger tool to create a trench for HRW, is there a way to build road and/or GLR/El overpasses - without tiles - to cross over? This image was my attempt with the digger set at 7.5 or 8.0 - figuring out how to build an overpass with HRW at this shallow a depth has been irritating:

It's easy to build an overpass on slope Let's take the HRW case as an example.

You have built the trench and now you have to place the overpasses on slope that have the preview of the RHW viaducts. Use 7.5 m or 15.m depending on the height of the trench.

After you have built overpasses on slope you have to place the RRW which will develop the complete viaduct automatically. Then use the monorail tool to get HRW.

The first two phases are compatible for any type of network such as Road L1 X GLR L0, Avenue L2 X RRW L0 etc..