• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

mcdrye - B.A.T. it again

Started by mcdrye, May 21, 2009, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

io_bg

:shocked2: Is this a picture from RL??
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

JoeST

Oh, My, GAWD!!!! that is fantastic

though, may I just request that they are slightly deep.

thankyou so much

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Pat

mcdrye where did you find that wonderful pic from??? Cause daaaaaaaaaaaaang that is sweet and i cant wait to see it in game  ;) :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

carkid1998

MMMmmmmm...... I can imagine those models as an alternate style of the NAM underground railway puzzle pieces!
Sendona... Coming soon!

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: mcdrye on May 30, 2009, 04:22:40 PM
Just for Fun  :)

If not for the barely noticeable repetitions of texture, Id' have thought it was a real photo.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

blade2k5

Quote from: RebaLynnTS on June 14, 2009, 02:03:35 PM

If not for the barely noticeable repetitions of texture, Id' have thought it was a real photo.

Yeah, that pic had me fooled until I read your post.  Consider me subscribed to following this particular project.:thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

bob56

thats amazing!!! :o Had me fooled too, until I noticed the purple-blue textured ropes along the walls. Nice work!
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

vershner

Hi there, I just noticed a minor issue with your tube station.
The base texture is the default Maxis one, but it's a copy at ID 76C00000. It would be better to use the default at 258F2000, then if someone's using a street-mod the base texture will always match their pavements.
It doesn't really matter too much but I thought I might as well mention it.

mcdrye

Sorry for such a long absense! Started a new job in June and i've been busybusy, but the killer is that my laptop hard drive failed on me (though, due to me punching the already faulty keyboard).

It had a head crash (the reading head came into contact with the platter and scratched it) and a lot of data was unrecoverable. Thankfully I backed up my files to my external hard drive back in June so I got a lot of BATs (and textures) back, but only once I'd bought a new enclosure as my previous one (note: don't buy an enclousre with an obscure unreplaceable power adapter) died.

This brings me to now (with new laptop hard drive and hard drive enclosure  :P) where I'm resuming work on the Sub-Surface Rail pieces. I've remodelled then slightly so that they are more symmetrical and line up perfectly. They also now have HD zoom 6.

The first release is a four piece starter pack:

• 1X1 Straight : Done
  • 1X2 End : FSH issue
  • 4X4 (1X1 Lot) 90 Degree turn : Done
  • 1X9 SSR to Rail : Currently being reworked

And here are some pictures, as you can see, near perfect alignment unlike my previous attempt, HDness

The following pics show the models before I reduced saturation:

This is the FSH issue i'm having, several re-Exports and an LOD change don't seem to solve it. Its only apparent in this zoom and at that angle (there are two pieces shown there facing each other)

And in reader there is a problem with UV mapping that might be the cause but I don't know. Any ideas?

io_bg

Welcome back! I love the stuff you're doing, hope to see more progress soon! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

gottago

These are a great idea and the BATs are beautifully detailed and textured, and very glad to see you've got time to finish them.

My first impression is that they're too dark and too brown--I'd desaturate them pretty heavily and bring up the luminosity of your textures by quite a bit so that you get more detail showing in those shadow-filled cuts. Personally, I'd also reduce the above-ground wall height to a low coping as well so that more light gets down into the cuts and you can see deeper into them--may not be very realistic, but it will help them visually.

Great work! &apls

cogeo

Sometimes 3dsmax has a problem with the size of the texture, ie it can be half or double-sized (can't remember exactly) and as a result the UV mappings get out of range. I think the cause is differences in the gmax and 3dsmax scripts (concerning the textures' sizes and model partitioning). But the coloured checkerboard pattern means "texture missing". I would say examine the file details to figure out what's going on. Or maybe send me the (exported) model to take a look (my email is public).

The most appropriate person to fix script errors is SimFox. Don't delete or modify this version of your BAT (make a back-up) as it can provide information on the scripts' error conditions (ie it can prove valuable as an "error case").

mcdrye

When I open the file in reader there is a FSH present but for some reason it is duplicated and only one of them has it's appropriate LOD bit applied. This is shown in the last pic of my previous post, the top bit is the opposite view whilst the two underneath show the two FSHs that seem to be the root of the problem, I'll send you the file cogeo.

cogeo

I did take a look, and the model file indeed has some few problems - most probably caused by the scripts.

If you go to the 0x00030430 S3D file and open the Mats tab, you will see that Group 0 references material 0x00030433. However no such texture (FSH) exists in the file! Namely this is indeed a "texture missing" situation. Instead, the correct texture for this group should be the 0x00030432 one! And Group 1 appears to contain nothing (checking and unchecking its check-box in the preview window makes no difference!

Possible fix: in the Mats tab set the Material ID for Group 0 (right-click) to 0x00030432 (and click Apply). However the correct way would be to fix the scripts instead.

mcdrye

Trying the fix you suggested cogeo works  :thumbsup:

Pat

very nice indeed here Mcdrye!! Hey work is always first  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mcdrye

Thank you very much for all the positive comments!  :thumbsup:

I've made a second type of end piece that looks like a bridge when placed on either side of a road or rail.

I've also shortened the walls to let a little more light and more detail to be shown.

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

rooker1

Great to see you back. 
This work is incredible and I can't wait till you finish.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Diggis

Just out of curiosity, are these eyecandy only?  Or are they going to be modded to be transit lots?

It might be worth talking to the NAM team and seeing if we can mod them to be like NOB's sunken GLR lots which are special TE pieces I believe.  One thing with that is you would need to rerender them with hollowed out LODs so you can see the trains on the tracks.