• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

treecontrollers and beachmodd

Started by mrbisonm, September 05, 2008, 05:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

I have been looking for some treecontrollers other than european and north-american like cycledogg made. Aren't there any of a more southern effect? You know like trees in the tropics or subtropics.
Not those for the mayormode, I got those, but the ones we use in godmode to fill the whole tile.

Then I am also looking for a beachmodd that is of a light sandy/beige, almost eggshellwhite colour that we see so often on the southern beaches and I am not talking about the whitebeachmodd of teirusu (sorry, a little too white, looks almost like snow)

Then one last thing, while we're at it....please.....could someone please explain me how to do a search on the LEX? I have no idea how to do a search when I am looking for something (like beaches and trees) unless I know the creator and that is 95% of the time not the case. Is there another way?

Thanks for helping out, much appreciated.

mrb

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

dsrwhat316

I can help you with one thing; the LEX search function.

At the LEX homepage, you'll see a link in the left hand column titled "enhanced search". This can give you a more in-depth way of finding what you are looking for.

As for you other questions, I unfortunately don't have an answer; perhaps some of our more enlightened members can help!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

JoeST

hey mrbisonm:

I dont know about the mods but the search is pretty easy :)

go to the Power Search page (found in the horizontal navigation bar) and then check out the 3 bottom search drop downs (you only need one at a time)

Joe

ps: I was a great fan of Nexis :)

pps: grrr @ Dan, you beat me :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

mrbisonm

Yeah, all very nice that enhanced search,  but it didn't help me neither. Isn't there a search button where I can *TYPE* in the things I am looking for, like on the STEX and most other forums?
Thanks for helping.

Btw, Hi to the former fan of NoG (Nexis of Genesis) :thumbsup:

JoeST

mrbisonm: The reason for the lack of the text search is that it is very resource intensive, and thus they dont have one to save money ;)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Andreas

As a matter of fact, I don't think that other tree controllers or beach mods exist (not on the LEX at least). ;) Creating a tree controller is an incredible amount of work, which is not very intuitive as well. With Cycledogg's hints, I once created one, but I didn't have the time and energy to make a proper one, but simply threw in some random numbers, for a random appearance of his various Pacific North-West conifers.
Andreas

jmyers2043

Andreas gives good advise. I don't know of any tropical god mode tree controller mod either. But something could be done with existing trees and a little work. My minds eye sees a set of tropical trees, put them in a family, create some invisible trees and put them in that same family. a 1X1, 3X3, 6X6, and 9X9 tropical forest lots could plant large areas of trees quickly. Not god mode but the next best thing.

Not tropical, but this is a timber farm I did. 8 Cycledog/MJB trees with 4 invisible ones. Each farm field tile has three trees and a Ponderosa Pine that grows and is cut down after 40 years. If I can create a random look with a 1X1 field tile, then, just think of what can be done on a 3X3 or 6X6 tropical forest lot?

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

Thanks for the info Andreas, it kinda disappoints me that no one really made a tropical or subtropical treecontroller.
I remember that someone did an all Maxis palm-godmode a couple of years back, does anyone hear know where I can find it? It'll be better than nothing anyways, maybe I will mix in some mayore trees to make it look interesting.

jmyers, the idea is good and easy doable, but it still stays a Lot, and when you have like 48 medium tiles to fill in a region, it might take some....ehem.....months.....lol.
Your lot looks good, although not tropical, but good. Thanks for the idea.

Btw, jeronij has some pretty tropical looking like trees available for the Mayormode that could be made into lots.

mrb

Edit:

I fooled around a little bit in the game with some mayortrees and this is what I came up with.....looks tropical enough to me .......  ;) It's only a lot of work ...... %wrd
It is a mixture of all kinds of trees, some Maxis, jeronij, goldiva, and I cannot remember who the others belong to.

Andreas

Quote from: mrbisonm on September 05, 2008, 07:30:43 PM
Thanks for the info Andreas, it kinda disappoints me that no one really made a tropical or subtropical treecontroller.
I remember that someone did an all Maxis palm-godmode a couple of years back, does anyone hear know where I can find it? It'll be better than nothing anyways, maybe I will mix in some mayore trees to make it look interesting.

I think you're referring to Teirusu's God Mode tree mod. It should be available at ST somewhere (probably in the Modds & Downloads section), but you can get it here as well: http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=288

And yes, there are some tropical tree props around, namely the ones you mentioned. Unfortunately, creating a tree controller means to create a bunch of exemplar files, one per tree model, and filling it with a special property that has 256 REPs that define the distribution over various height and climate levels. As mentioned before, I did something like that with purely random values, but even with that, I had to create a huge Excel table with 256 columns and some 150 or more lines to do so, which were pasted manually into those exemplar files. I don't know if I still have said table, but I do have the tree controller, so if you can gather a good amount of tropical tree models, someone ( ;) ) could do the legwork and paste the model IDs into my random controller.
Andreas

mrbisonm

I understand that it would be a lot of work to make another treecontroller, I remember that it took months for CP to do those he did, but it would be cool. I am sure not only I would take profit and pleasure from it.
Anyways, I really thought that it existed already and that is why I asked, well, what I am going to do now is this: Use the palmtree modd (Thanks for the linkie Andreas) and plant sparely all my region, then I exit and put another treecontroller into my Plugins and start all over again....and so on with several, maybe 2 or 3 more treecontrollers. Doing this a few times, I am sure that I will achieve a quite satisfying effect with time.
Since I will keep all the props in my pluginfolder, the trees should stay and not show any boxes when entering the game and this way I will surely have a great variety of trees, which could possibly ressemble somewhat to a tropical forest.
Thanks for all the help guys and very thanks again for the link of the Palmtreemodd, Andreas.
I will show what I achieved from this later this fall in a new CJ here on SCD4.

mrb

mrbisonm

I worked on a solution to have jungle forests in my region. Since the treecontroller for jungle doesn't exist, I just had to do some experimenting with what is available. I think I have every mayor and godmode tree available on the net in my pluginfolder and with a lot of patience and time I came up with this below.

After having tried almost every possible way, I used three different treecontrollers, one at a time,  when creating the basic flora. First I thought that the Aspen treecontroller from CP looked somewhat tropical, I did the lower terrains together with the palmgodmode from teirusu to make a medium-solid cover and planted then with the help of the Pinetreecontroller some trees in the upper elevations. Once done, I added a few Mayor trees here and there and below is what it looks like, kinda tropical, no?
Better than I thought anyways.............

Now, is there a tutorial how to make godemode trees? (treecontrollers)

I think that this is about the best tropical forest what one can come up with SC4 customtrees.

mrb