• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Downloaded buildings no light up, only maxis buildings work well

Started by Jorginho88, January 28, 2021, 09:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorginho88

I bought again SC4 a few days ago (because I had it in another PC before it crashed) from Origin. *I had a backup of all downloaded plugins.
After I downloaded it (game), I put all plugins I have in there again (a lot of them I got'em here and simtropolis)

The case is I was playing normally with my old cities and I saw (during night) all no maxis buildings (bats, lots, etc) no had lights although they have night lights originally.
* You can see the problem in image below

I dunno what it's happening.
I was searching something about here and simtropolis but I didn't get any real solution.
In fact, I just saw one possible solution here downloading an update here (Maxis Rush Hour update) but link doesn't work. I couldn't download anything. I tried it twice.

Could anyone help me with?
I hope anyone can help me

art128

From what I remember the Origin version of the game isn't patch-able so night lights won't work on third party mods.
Though I can be wrong about it so If someone can correct me that would be appreciated.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tarkus

If you can, get a refund from Origin.  The version they sell on the Origin Store is permanently stuck at Version 1.1.610. 

That's the version number of the version that originally shipped back in September 2003, without any of the patches that came after it, including the major stability fixes of the EP1 Update 1 Patch (AKA Version 1.1.638), and the BAT Nightlight Patch (AKA Version 1.1.640), which was what was allowing the nightlights to work on custom buildings before for you.

The Origin Version 1.1.610 executable file has a different checksum than the Version 1.1.610 that was on the old disc copies, because Origin swapped out the SafeDisc copy protection on the disc version (designed to require one of the discs to be in the drive in order for the game to launch) in favor of Origin's own Digital Rights Management (DRM) system.  Because of this checksum difference, unlike the disc Version 1.1.610, the Origin Version 1.1.610 isn't accepted by the Version 1.1.638 and 1.1.640 patch installers as a valid executable, thereby preventing the Origin Store version from being patched at all.

If anyone tries to tell you Origin's version is up to date, the user either isn't aware of the issues, still has a "good" executable from Origin from the brief period (between August 2014 and November 2015) when Origin was forced to sell an at least partially-patched version (after I ratted them out and PC Gamer covered it), or received a free copy via Origin Support CD Key Redemption.  The CD Key Redemption copies, inexplicably, are fully patched up to Version 1.1.641 (the digital equivalent of Version 1.1.640). 

The other main digital retails for SimCity 4 Deluxe--GOG and Steam--do sell Version 1.1.641.  GOG's is DRM-free, and also has the command line parameters to prevent crashing on systems with multi-core CPUs already in place right out of the box.  Both, unlike Origin, also tend to put the game on sale for US$4.99 on a regular basis.

If you are going to attempt the refund from Origin, I've heard from others who have had success that linking their support agents to this page at Simtropolis helps, which mentions the unpatched/unpatchable state of the Origin Store version.

-Alex

Jorginho88

Thank u Tarkus/ Alex.

* I'm sorry if my english is rusty! I'd not practiced it for a long time ago.

So, after I read both, my unique solution to this is I get a refund from Origin because they're selling a SC4 no compatible version with mods and I'd need to get SC4 from GOG where they're really selling a compatible version with our mods and patches like BAT Nightlight Patch? Is this right?
Or Does not GOG's SC4 version need BAT Nightlight patch for our downloaded buildings here (simtropolis and simdevotion lex download) can work well during night?

I ask that 'coz I tried to download BAT nightlight patch from Maxis Ruch hour update and I didn't get any doc, .exe or something like that.
Simplely link didn't work.

I hope your answer!!!

Tarkus

Yes, you've read that right.  The GOG version (and the Steam version), by virtue of being Version 1.1.641, already have the nightlighting fix applied, so downloaded buildings should have nightlights right out of the gate (as long as the creator of a particular building did set up nightlights for it).

-Alex

mgb204

Quote from: Jorginho88 on January 29, 2021, 08:27:53 AM
I ask that 'coz I tried to download BAT nightlight patch from Maxis Ruch hour update and I didn't get any doc, .exe or something like that.
Simplely link didn't work.

Sounds like you got the wrong patch. There is one for SC4 BAT, the application used to MAKE SC4 Models, this is just some files that update the application. But the NiteLighting Patch is something else entirely. It's all rather unimportant though, these patches are for the disk-based versions of the game and won't work with digital ones. But, with the exception of the broken Origin one, digital editions come pre-patched, i.e. you don't have to worry about it.