• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CTD because of plugins

Started by XtNz, December 29, 2009, 11:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XtNz

first part of the exception report

Exception time: 12/19/2009, at 23:09:41.
Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
Current thread ID: 3892 (0x00000f34).
Version information:
Application/module path: H:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe
Application/module version name: SimCity 4
Application/module version: 1.1.638.0
System version: Windows NT 6.0
System memory: 4096 Megabytes total, 1428 Megabytes free.

Exception module:  H:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe.
Exception address: 0x00699135. Section:Offset: 0x01:0x00292135.

I am getting these CTDs when trying to load 2 of my bigger cities (many million inhabitants, the smaller ones are not affected). I know that something is wrong with my plugins but because its more than 5GB of stuff its ridiculous to go through every file. So if someone knows how to narrow down the source of the problem please dont hesitate and let me know.

SC4BOY

There is no magic answer.. take out half, try it.. if crash take another half.. if no put that half back in and try that .. it crashes... wash and repeat.. 5G, 2.5G, 1.25G, etc.. in a few tries you find it... why would you think people who don't even know what you are doing could solve your problem better than you?

tahill79

I would basically do what SC4Boy said.  If a half still crashes then divide it in half and load the city back up.  If it does it again then go through and see if something catches your eye.  Sometimes its the dumbest things that will cause.  Keep doing this until you find what causing your CTD.  You might have a missing dependency that you just forgot to get.  I had to do this for a 4.5gig plugins folder and it took me about an hour.  That was on a very slow desktop. 

Organize, Organize, Organize.  That will help you.  Make sure to read the read-me with each new item you download.  Sometimes the dependencies are hidin inside the read-me and you might not know that it has dependencies.   

XtNz

okay but if i take out one half wont the missing half instantly crash the game? or how should i take out one half?
i just dont think i understand how to do it

tahill79

Make 2 folders on your desktop.  Name Plugins A and the other Plugins B.  Open your plugins folder and select half of the plugins.  Move them to the Plugins A folder.  Load your game.  Run the city that has the CTD problem. If the CTD happens again then exit the game.  Remove half of the plugins and again load the city and keep repeating this until SC4 no longer crashes.  You might need to keep creating new folders for your plugins until you find the plugin that is crashing the game. 

Things to look for are terrain mods or missing dependencies for them.  I think that some of terrain mods have dependendies.  The Columbus Terrain Mod is one that comes to mind.  And I also think theres a lot of tree controllers that go with it.  I havent used it in like 4 years and it was only for a few weeks.  I use Johns terrain mods. 

Correct me if im wrong but I think rock mods are the same way.

Hope this helps.

xxdita

Make sure you're loading a new city, because not having some plugins when you've used them in a city already can also cause CTD's, or worse. And never save the work you've done, until you've gotten it figured out.

XtNz

thx for the replys

new cities run flawlessly with my plugins, most of my heavily customized cities also run flawlessly, just 2 of them dont.
So what is the conclusion? maybe i deleted something that is needed in those 2 cities and now it crashes them? But if thats the case i cant find it out by pulling half of the plugins out because the absence of those files alone will instantly crash the game. How should i do it? Should i start and install every downloaded stuff again? I must narrow down the possible cause of the crash, so what missing things can cause CTD? props? textures? models? what else?

RippleJet

Quote from: XtNz on December 30, 2009, 03:24:47 AM
I must narrow down the possible cause of the crash, so what missing things can cause CTD? props? textures? models? what else?

Usually one of these things:

• Missing or conflicting terrain/tree controllers or trees
  • Missing or conflicting seaport controllers or lots
  • Missing or conflicting airport controllers or lots
  • Missing RCI exemplar (only applicable for one known lot by BLaM)

XtNz

thanks for the help

i have lots of BLAM stuff, i reinstalled every one of them, no change, after loading the city it runs for a couple of seconds and crashes
i use AC functional airports and i had been using it for a very long time, well before the crashes appeared, but just in case i ran the cleanitol and reinstalled every prop and dependecy associated with AC, still CTD
i dont think i use seaport controllers (what are those?), maybe lots from pegasus

thingfishs

Are you only assuming that your city will CTD when you do the half by half thing? Because although doing so apparently can cause a ctd, in my experience when I've had to do the same thing to find a problematic file, it's only caused a sea of brown boxes.

RippleJet

Quote from: thingfishs on December 30, 2009, 06:51:23 AM
Are you only assuming that your city will CTD when you do the half by half thing? Because although doing so apparently can cause a ctd, in my experience when I've had to do the same thing to find a problematic file, it's only caused a sea of brown boxes.

Yes, brown boxes (and reported missing plugin packs) is what you'd normally experience by removing half your plugins...
Missing ordinary models, descs and lots won't lead to CTD's.

Quote from: XtNz on December 30, 2009, 06:23:09 AM
i have lots of BLAM stuff, i reinstalled every one of them, no change, after loading the city it runs for a couple of seconds and crashes

Have you ever had a file named CO$$8_4x3_Steinsaas_b23c08a6.SC4Lot in your plugins?
Removing that file would cause a CTD opon opening your city, as explained by spa here.

Quote from: XtNz on December 30, 2009, 06:23:09 AM
i dont think i use seaport controllers (what are those?), maybe lots from pegasus

Either from there, or from BSC Functional Seaports.

XtNz

Quote from: thingfishs on December 30, 2009, 06:51:23 AM

no its not an assumption, its a fact: i tried it several times and most of my cities instantly crashed, dunno why

BUT i have good news: i located a file -> Super Nuclear Plant.dat
i dont know where this file came from, but when i removed it from my plugins the crashes disappeared, its still not 100% sure that ALL crashes are gone, i have to test it more deeply

RippleJet

Quote from: XtNz on December 30, 2009, 08:51:45 AM

If you know where you downloaded it, I'd like to take a look at it.
Otherwise, feel free to send it to me by mail, and I'll see if I can figure out why it crashes the game.

wes.janson

I think this is the file you are referring to. People have also mentioned in the comment section about how it crashes the game.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

SC4BOY

Quote from: XtNz on December 30, 2009, 08:51:45 AM

It's remarkable how this works. eh? :) Happy Sim'ing

RippleJet

Ok, that dat file includes replacements for four ingame buildings...

• The cemetery
  • The launch pad reward
  • The solar plant
  • The nuclear plant

I'll concentrate on the nuclear plant below (even if the launch pad also adds CO§ jobs).
The nuclear plant's building exemplar includes three extra properties which are just nuts...

• Landmark Effect +1,000,000 over 10,000,000 tiles

• Park Effect +100,000,000 over -1,530,494,976 tiles

• Capacity Satisfied, giving the following occupancy:

R§§
    R§§§
    CS§
    CS§§
    CS§§§
    CO§
    CO§§§
    I-D
    I-HT

I won't even try to guess which of the following is causing the crash (maybe they all do):

• the negative coverage of the park effect
  • the 1,009 CO§ jobs, for which there is no developer exemplar available (this certainly is a reason for CTD)
  • the fact that several Capacity Satisfied are given, without giving the appropriate Occupant Type

XtNz

big thanks to everyone who helped me :thumbsup:

edit: dunno what this is but its funny :D
http://img.techpowerup.org/091230/SimCity_4_2009-12-30_20-4018-92.png

wes.janson

Quote from: XtNz on December 30, 2009, 02:11:59 PM
edit: dunno what this is but its funny :D
http://img.techpowerup.org/091230/SimCity_4_2009-12-30_20-4018-92.png

It's a gag. If you want to get rid of it there should be an extra lot file in whatever folder Simgoobers Waster to Energy Plant (I think?) that does this.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!