• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Official Terry Pratchett Thread

Started by Diggis, May 25, 2008, 12:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

Quote from: callagrafx on May 25, 2008, 10:28:05 AM
Here's a piece of trivia for you...Death is the only character to appear in all Discworld books except for The Wee Free Men (who are the single most hysterical creations of TPs since Sam Vimes).

So that makes Me, Barby, SA and Fred so far...We just need one more for a decent game of Cripple Mr Onion.

p.s. Fred, me you and Barby are going to bore the rest of them in July  :D :D

I don't think it's possible to be bored when Terry Pratchett is involved.  I was very saddened to learn of the onset of Alzheimer's.  :'(

And not only is death the only character to appear in all the books (although didn't realise he wasn't in wee free men, only read it once) but his is by far the best character.  The books where he is a main character are some of the best.  Loved Reaper Man.  It's what got me started.

BarbyW

It is a fact that although the Death of the Discworld is, in his own words,
an ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION, he long ago gave up using the
traditional skeletal horses, because of the bother of having to stop all
the time to wire bits back on.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Pat

OK being a yank here I am soo lost??

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

geoffhaw

So that makes Me, Barby, SA and Fred so far...We just need one more for a decent game of Cripple Mr Onion.

p.s. Fred, me you and Barby are going to bore the rest of them in July  :D :D

Deal me in!

btw, Lord Vetinari is in my opinion the best character...

callagrafx

Looks like it's going to be a mini DW convention...cool. 

Favourite Vetinari quote:  "taxation, gentlemen, is very much like dairy farming. The task is to extract the maximum amount of milk with the minimum of moo.  These days all I get is moo".
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

BarbyW

My favourite TP quote is from the man himself not a book:

QuoteI'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when
there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.

TheTeaCat

My fav TP quotes are

I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple
of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord
Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

And
QuoteHave a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb --
they're often *students*, for heaven's sake.

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

BarbyW

QuoteI've always thought the Patrician is a party animal. Can you imagine
waking up next day and remembering all those witty things you said and did, and then realising that he was listening?

callagrafx

QuoteAnkh-Morpork had dallied with many forms of government and had ended up with that form of democracy known as One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man; he had the Vote.

Quote"It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it," said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse."
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Shadow Assassin

Hah, I love some of those quotes. But a personal favourite of mine is:

QuoteThe world was blessedly free of honest men, and wonderfully free of people who believed they could tell the difference between an honest man and a crook.

QuoteOn the whole, witches despised fortune-telling from tea-leaves. Tea-leaves are not uniquely fortunate in knowing what the future holds. They are really just something for the eyes to rest on while the mind does the work. Practically anything would do. The scum on a puddle, the skin on a custard... anything. Nanny Ogg could see the future in the froth of a beermug. It invariably showed that she was going to enjoy a refreshing drink which she almost certainly was not going to pay for.

Hah!

Actually, this is my favourite. I love it.

QuoteLet's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.

A classic:
QuoteGoddammit, Rincewind in not a cheese! Rincewind is not a yogurt or any kind of sour milk derivative! Rincewind is a bloody nuisance!

Hmm, Mature Rincewind... it certainly rolls off the tongue. :P

Oh, and Lee: are you familiar with http://cripplemronion.info/ ?

Er, it seems we've gone waaay off topic here... shall we start a Discworld thread somewhere? :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

callagrafx

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 26, 2008, 05:03:13 AM
Oh, and Lee: are you familiar with http://cripplemronion.info/ ?
Yep...found that a while ago but still haven't got me Fat Pack yet.

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 26, 2008, 05:03:13 AM
Er, it seems we've gone waaay off topic here... shall we start a Discworld thread somewhere? :P
Such is the Way of the Pratchett  :D  Might be a good idea.  :thumbsup:

freedo50

Geez, you went so off-topic I had to split it up! ::)

Fred

HandsOn

This site never ceases to amaze: there are actual mensches here that have heard of Sam Vimes and Captain Carrot & his hirsuite girlfriend??  %wrd So how long before anyone will spot the fact that SC4 actualluy floats on the underbelly of the Great A'Tuin?

And yes please, let's have a DiscWorld modding thread - I really want to learn to build bridges over the Ankh (not that they are needed

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

TheTeaCat

how to cover up mistakes  :D :D

QuoteThere are no inconsistencies in the Discworld books; occasionally, however, there are alternate pasts. --Terry Pratchett.

:satisfied:
TTC

edit:
how could I forget this $%Grinno$%

Quote"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?" Death thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."
    --Sourcery
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

HandsOn

QuoteAnd, currently, this being spring break, they were absent [senior faculty members, ed.]. And so where the students. The University was, therefore, running at near peak efficiency.
Science of the Discworld II

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

BarbyW

QuoteA large black and white cat had walked into the room.
"That's Mr Tiddles, sir," said Groat.
"Tiddles?", sadi Moist. "You mean that really is a cat's name? I thought it was just a joke."
"Not so much a name, sir, more of a description", said Groat.
Going Postal

catty

I think I have all the books Terry Pratchett has written and I've always loved the computer (Hex) at the Unseen University especially in the Hogfather.

Quote`I don't actually think,' he said, gloomily, `that I want to tell the Archchancellor that this machine stops working if we take its fluffy teddy bear away. I just don't think I want to live in that kind of world.'
`Er,' said Mad Drongo, `you could always, you know, sort of say it needs to work with the FTB enabled ...?'

and they had the mini-series of the Hogfather on TV at Christmas the one with David Jason playing Albert.

loved it  :P
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

vester

Fred, me you and Barby are going to bore the rest of them in July  :D :D

Quote from: geoffhaw on May 25, 2008, 02:59:40 PM
Deal me in!

Count me in as well.

Well I only got to Wyrd Sisters.

callagrafx

"Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."

-- Susan, the ultimate sensible governess (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)