• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAMeLots - Linking all available lots and bats

Started by RippleJet, August 14, 2007, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nommy

Thanks for the offer of help. The only thing I wanted to know was if installing the dependencies listed in the starter packs readmes straight to plugins is ok or if I should be installing them elsewhere and just copying the model files out of them or something?

Everything else you said I'd already discovered on my own.

Quote from: rooker1 on April 13, 2011, 10:33:29 AMSetting up CAM from start is some what difficult and is very time consuming.
This especially I wish I'd known before I started. Discovering this was probably the most frustrating part, but now I know.

I DID read the CAM readme, as well as the readmes in the starter packs as well as all the sticky posts about CAM as well as the CAM pdf manual, so found dependency packs without a problem. What was not clear was that those dependency packs only contain most of the dependencies, not all of them, and that you need to also follow the dependency links in all the readmes to get the models. As you know there are a lot and at first I could not believe that this was what was required to use the starter packs.

What was not in any of the things I read, and what I really needed to know was this:
QuoteHOW TO SETUP CAM INCLUDING STARTER PACKS     (for all I know this may not be the right way to do it)

1. Download and install CAM from here

Optionally, if you want to see buildings for the extra growth stages you can install the starter packs, but be prepared to spend several hours looking up and downloading dependencies. It's worth it though. To do this do as follows:

2. Install all the prop and texture dependencies for the starter packs listed here. NB: These contain most dependencies, but not the models files which you will need to download separately. See below.

3. Install the starter packs listed near the top of the first post here.

4. Open each of the 36 readmes included in the starter packs zip files and download and install all the dependencies listed at the bottom in each of those readmes. They will include the missing models required to display the buildings.

Now the CAM is ready to run and you will be able to get buildings of all growth stages. If you get brown boxes or would like to install additional buildings please check here.

THAT would have made it much much easier, assuming it's correct.

For me the main reason CAM was such a pain in the ass to get going is because nowhere were there instructions of what to do like that. Those 20 lines would have made all the difference in the world, and it wouldn't have been difficult and frustrating to set up like it was. That was basically the point I was trying to make. So my suggestion is that someone add something like that somewhere where you can't miss it and save the next new person some pain.

Oh and please don't forget my question at the top. Thanks :)

rooker1

You can install them anywhere in your plugins, but I would suggest some kind of logical system so that you can keep your plugins tidy and clean.
Read this post for how I setup my plugins.
I put the model files with the corresponding lot folder to keep it all together.

Hope I helped.
Robin  ;)
Call me Robin, please.

Nommy

Sweet, I was hoping that would be the case :)

And thanks for the link. Always cheating, I can relate to that, although it hasn't gotten to the point of plopping RCI yet. I'll put the reorganizing off until I redo the plugins I think, but it's good to have an idea how to do it. This plugins folder is turning it to a bit of a wright-off now anyway, coz I've been installing and editing stuff to make things easy willy nilly. Next time I'll be more careful and maybe try without cheating too. It'll last about 5 min I reckon, until I convince myself that $5 is actually a more realistic price for subway stops anyway etc etc. Anyway thanks, yep you helped :)

legoman786

You know what was really frustrating?

I grabbed all starter packs and required dependencies... I still got brown boxes. >:(

I'm way too frustrated to try to figure out what went wrong. I can't think straight.

I mean, I spent all that time setting up CAM. I spent some time setting up a good starter city (Haven't played for a couple of years). Go to check on my industrial... WHAT?!?!?! BROWN BOXES?!?! Query it and it turns out it's a lot that was included in the CAM. >___________________<

jmyers2043

Hey legoman786

Quote from: legoman786 on May 07, 2011, 02:22:24 PM
You know what was really frustrating?

I grabbed all starter packs and required dependencies... I still got brown boxes. >:(

I'm way too frustrated to try to figure out what went wrong. I can't think straight.

I mean, I spent all that time setting up CAM. I spent some time setting up a good starter city (Haven't played for a couple of years). Go to check on my industrial... WHAT?!?!?! BROWN BOXES?!?! Query it and it turns out it's a lot that was included in the CAM. >___________________<

A lot of folk do it the way you did. I did it differently. I got the CAM then played the game as usual. I downloaded a few stage 9 and 10 buildings when I saw the first stage 8 buildinsg grow. Then downloaded some stage 11 and 12 buildings when I saw those grow. That broke up the chore into manageable chunks.

As far as industry? I got the starter pack and also had some boxes too. I usually play the game with a pen and small note pad next to my keyboard. I'll query the building and jot down its name. Searching for the building later. I've found a link to every dependency here. 

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2039.0

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

Good Luck.

Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

legoman786

I feel like a major ass, and an idiot.

I went through all the readmes with the starter packs...

Turns out, I was missing some things.

>___________________<

rooker1

A citynut/jestarr production "The VW Automotive Factory", 17x21 at stage 10 is now added to the main list under Dirty Industrial.

It's my goal to get this puppy to grow in my city!!

Robin  ;)
Call me Robin, please.

jmyers2043

hey Robin?

QuoteIt's my goal to get this puppy to grow in my city!!

I'm going to send you PM about your goals  ...   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D

- Jim

DeusNoctum

Just wanted to say adore having this list available, even when off line. Much easier to zone specific-sized blocks to get different buildings to grow. A true labor of love.
Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Lowkee33

Gizmo's site has moved.  It, and the downloads, can be found Here:)

HappyDays

Doesn't seem to be anything there. No downloads, no posts even.

Do I have to register to see the downloads?

Edit: Yes, yes I do.

Yet another registration. <_<

Simmer2

Hello all.
Great work keeping SC4 alive  &apls
I have a question regarding one elusive model missing from my extensive collection.
The culprit this time is CSX hitech Prep Aerospace.
If anyone knows where to get the model please link it here.

Regards

Dan
________________________________________________________________________________

jmyers2043

Hey Dan

Ah, I just noticed this post ...

Quote from: Simmer2 on January 06, 2012, 10:09:42 AM
... The culprit this time is CSX hitech Prep Aerospace....

Well, first the lot is a 8X8 mega lot with several props and buildings. I'll assume that you can't find the Prepo Aerospace building. The "Prep" part of the lot name refers to the author, Prepo. Let's see if I can find it. Well, what I found is that it is a bit hard to locate as the Html read me didn't link to it. The Word document did but pointed to the STEX which scrambled all the hyperlinks a while back.

Here is the link http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/12700-rautalintu-aerospace/

Good Luck.

BTW - Someone wrote a small application that de-scrambles all the STEX links. http://twoninersix.multigamemods.com/STlinkconverter/ It comes in handy at time.s

- Jim

Simmer2

Quote from: jmyers2043 on January 08, 2012, 09:02:52 AM
Hey Dan

Ah, I just noticed this post ...

Quote from: Simmer2 on January 06, 2012, 10:09:42 AM
... The culprit this time is CSX hitech Prep Aerospace....

Well, first the lot is a 8X8 mega lot with several props and buildings. I'll assume that you can't find the Prepo Aerospace building. The "Prep" part of the lot name refers to the author, Prepo. Let's see if I can find it. Well, what I found is that it is a bit hard to locate as the Html read me didn't link to it. The Word document did but pointed to the STEX which scrambled all the hyperlinks a while back.

Here is the link http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/12700-rautalintu-aerospace/

Good Luck.

BTW - Someone wrote a small application that de-scrambles all the STEX links. http://twoninersix.multigamemods.com/STlinkconverter/ It comes in handy at time.s

- Jim

Thank you Jim, that did it :)

Dan
________________________________________________________________________________

djangelboy

this is a ridiculous amount of work.. i noticed that simtropolis has started doing the stex cds.. has anyone thought of marketing the cam project with essentials and all the listed buildings ready to install??  that would be a seller right there.

jmyers2043

Quote from: djangelboy on January 23, 2012, 12:15:06 AM
this is a ridiculous amount of work.. i noticed that simtropolis has started doing the stex cds.. has anyone thought of marketing the cam project with essentials and all the listed buildings ready to install??  that would be a seller right there.

I approached it from a different direction. I initially downloaded the industrial starter pack. Then played the game as I normally do. I downloaded some stage 9 and 10 buildings when my first stage 8 buildings grew. Downloading some stage 11 and 12 buildings when those started to pop up. The project was broken down into small more manageable tasks.

As to your second point. Sounds like a good project and it seems you're motivated. You'll have to secure permission to host some of the models on said CD ... which was a bit of a problem at the beginning as some content creators wish to keep their stuff on the STEX and no where else.

- Jim

hargy9999

This list and all the work that the dedicated people contribute to this site is nothing short of amazing...    I for one am very grateful.

After knocking out just about all my brown boxs I seem to be left with one...
R$$ Stage9 - Europa
If anyone knows where i can find what I'm looking for in relation to this building/file i would be in your debt (more so  ;D)
cheers!!   :)

catty

Quote from: hargy9999 on February 19, 2012, 07:34:29 AM
...R$$ Stage9 - Europa ...

try post 2 in this topic about midway down there is a Cobb Europa
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

hargy9999

Quote from: catty on February 19, 2012, 09:37:38 AM
Quote from: hargy9999 on February 19, 2012, 07:34:29 AM
...R$$ Stage9 - Europa ...

try post 2 in this topic about midway down there is a Cobb Europa

i have tried that one with no luck, in the list it is saying it is a stage 8 building but in game when i query it its saying its a stage 9.
will bulldozing the ones in game make any difference?
i have read somewhere previously there can be an issue between stage 8 & 9 buildings but the details escape me