• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cody426

Yes Congrats very much, the NAM is amazing.

I have been away from the game for about year and having a little trouble with RHW.  I am seemingly unable to cross the Elevated RHW-4 and MIS over diagonal RHW-4, I haven't tried with any of the other networks.  When I played last (September 2011) I don't remember it being so challenging.  I do remember having to use puzzle pieces for very complex Interchanges but not for simply crossing a diagonal RHW-4 with MIS.  Even with the puzzle pieces I cannot get it to work, it also seems some puzzle pieces have been removed/moved?

I must have done something wrong and am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.  I looked over the readme completely, spent most of the evening yesterday reading this thread (which is huge) and removing all plugins except for NAM.  This is on a new Install with very little plugins (a terrain mode/tree controller, slope mod (which was my initial thought), and the NAM bridges. 

One thing different about this situation is that I am running off my F:\ drive which is a 30GB SSD.  Windows 7 is too much and fills it rather fast so 7 is running on a 240GB SATA drive and I'm running just SC4 (program files installed to f:\ ) and redirected my plugins using a .bat file to specify the userdir (idea I found on this site).  only other issue I have noticed is it doesn't remember when I put it to Day/Night each time I load the game, but maybe it always did that and I got so used to it I forgot. 

let me know if you can't see the pic, never tried posting one before...

Thanks
-Cody

GDO29Anagram

Picture's not there.

Also, some of the overpass pieces (all of which will be removed in NAM 31 because we got something better) have faulty checktypes, so you can't place them on anything pre-drawn. Just a heads-up.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Moonraker0

Quote from: cody426 on June 20, 2012, 06:16:29 PM

I have been away from the game for about year and having a little trouble with RHW.  I am seemingly unable to cross the Elevated RHW-4 and MIS over diagonal RHW-4, I haven't tried with any of the other networks.  When I played last (September 2011) I don't remember it being so challenging.  I do remember having to use puzzle pieces for very complex Interchanges but not for simply crossing a diagonal RHW-4 with MIS.  Even with the puzzle pieces I cannot get it to work, it also seems some puzzle pieces have been removed/moved?

I must have done something wrong and am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.  I looked over the readme completely, spent most of the evening yesterday reading this thread (which is huge) and removing all plugins except for NAM.  This is on a new Install with very little plugins (a terrain mode/tree controller, slope mod (which was my initial thought), and the NAM bridges. 

One thing different about this situation is that I am running off my F:\ drive which is a 30GB SSD.  Windows 7 is too much and fills it rather fast so 7 is running on a 240GB SATA drive and I'm running just SC4 (program files installed to f:\ ) and redirected my plugins using a .bat file to specify the userdir (idea I found on this site).  only other issue I have noticed is it doesn't remember when I put it to Day/Night each time I load the game, but maybe it always did that and I got so used to it I forgot. 

Thanks
-Cody
Not that this is related to your RHW problem, but unless there's something I don't understand about your setup, you shouldn't need to use a batch file to use UserDir, just add it to your SC4 shortcut.  I know why it's forgetting day/night cycle; it's because SimCity 4.cfg is read from your Documents\SimCity 4, even if you use UserDir; it is only saved to the UserDir and read from Documents, so you'd need to copy the file over to keep settings you change.

Blue Lightning

Quote from: Indiana Joe on June 20, 2012, 05:19:54 PM
Alright, don't spam it up for the last few posts.  This is about RHW development, it's not the 10,000 post thread.  Besides, Blue Lightning will inevitably get it anyway.

How's stability coming?  I want to see more pretty overpasses please.

(4)  ;D

Not this time :D
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

cody426

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 20, 2012, 06:23:35 PM
Picture's not there.

Also, some of the overpass pieces (all of which will be removed in NAM 31 because we got something better) have faulty checktypes, so you can't place them on anything pre-drawn. Just a heads-up.

By pre-drawn do you mean older RHW Versions?  this is all new as of Monday and the first RHW to be drawn in the region, but this sounds like it may have something to do with my issue. 

Quote from: Moonraker0 on June 20, 2012, 06:26:55 PM
Quote from: cody426 on June 20, 2012, 06:16:29 PM

Thanks
-Cody
Not that this is related to your RHW problem, but unless there's something I don't understand about your setup, you shouldn't need to use a batch file to use UserDir, just add it to your SC4 shortcut.  I know why it's forgetting day/night cycle; it's because SimCity 4.cfg is read from your Documents\SimCity 4, even if you use UserDir; it is only saved to the UserDir and read from Documents, so you'd need to copy the file over to keep settings you change.

Im a Network Admin guy and just am comfortable using bat files so that was my go to config  :thumbsup:  I was thinking that about the .cfg file but when I look at the dates modified the one on the f:\ is newer.  Not a big deal though.

Thanks for the help all, still playing around to see if I can figure it out, any and all input is appreciated.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: cody426 on June 20, 2012, 06:48:05 PM
By pre-drawn do you mean older RHW Versions?

Pre-drawn as in,... You'd have this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IxlA6gLx6k

Certain overpass pieces were coded incorrectly and if you hover it over something like this, it won't rotate.
<INACTIVE>
-----

cody426

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 20, 2012, 06:50:40 PM
Quote from: cody426 on June 20, 2012, 06:48:05 PM
By pre-drawn do you mean older RHW Versions?

Pre-drawn as in,... You'd have this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IxlA6gLx6k

Certain overpass pieces were coded incorrectly and if you hover it over something like this, it won't rotate.

GDO29Anagram you nailed it, watched your video a few times and followed the procedure and it works just fine.  Thank you for the promp response and resolution.  I think I better watch the rest of your SC4 videos and catch up on the tricks I have missed the last nine months.

-Cody

GDO29Anagram

For the record, some of my SC4 vids are outdated, and the most recent are my interchanges, one of which was the unofficial teaser for RHW version 5.

There's also the destarterfication trick... That and the CheckType workaround are my only real tricks I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT8HDeQXFrY
<INACTIVE>
-----

Indiana Joe

Damn, I get distracted for two hours and miss it by 9 posts.  :P

Congrats.

Nice progress Alex, always like to see integration between different NAM projects.

I should look into more of those RHW videos; neat tricks, very useful.

Keep it up!  (I feel so useless saying that.  Perhaps I should try to train myself in the art of RULs...)

Wiimeiser

Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jdenm8

Don't know what's wrong with the RHW-3 piece, but the RHW-6S piece is because you've demolished another starter in close proximity.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Wiimeiser on June 20, 2012, 10:53:43 PM
These are kind of weird...

Issue 1 is because you had two 6S starters in close proximity, as JD said. Can't be fixed without having to make another starter for the 6S to eliminate the problem, and we've already taken the two-tile 6S starter out of commission... Oddly enough, there's two different starters for the 6S (the 6S-6C transitions use a different starter), but would require a controller update. Probably not worth doing at this time.

Issue 2 is a texture bug; One texture's flipped while the other is not. It's either an issue with the Euro textures or something was messed something up with the models (which is less likely). Try without the Euro textures and see what happens.
<INACTIVE>
-----

kassarc16

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 20, 2012, 06:23:35 PMAlso, some of the overpass pieces (all of which will be removed in NAM 31 because we got something better)

I'm hoping to see a lot more draggable options in the future, but that's just me.

Gugu3

I have been away for a while...wow I came back and saw all these amazing progresses &apls
SC4 is still alive because of your amazing work NAMites! &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls
You deserve all of these guys! :thumbsup:
Keep it up

Tarkus

Quote from: kassarc16 on June 21, 2012, 12:44:41 AM
I'm hoping to see a lot more draggable options in the future, but that's just me.

That is in the general direction we're headed.  That and "Flex" piece setups.

I should add . . . last night, I dropped my P57 files into my "regular" Plugins folder and fired up the current region I'm using in my MD, and started testing out the Legacy Conversion code, seeing how easily I could convert the old V5/earlier RHWs to P57 specs.  It generally went quite smoothly, and a good portion of my region is converted.  I've fixed a few minor hiccups in that process, and it looks like the process should be relatively seamless for existing RHW users.

There's still quite a bit of work on other aspects that we'll need to do before we're at a releasable state, however.  The next alpha build going to the Team/Associates will only be Build 03.  With the myriad of additions, it'll probably be a 20+ build process, rather than the usual 13-14.  I'd also anticipate at least another 40 controller builds . . . more if the T-RAM or RAM folks re-appear and start adding their own additions.

-Alex

ivo_su

Alex, I guess you are not yet clear but you still have any idea at the time, how many secret weapons we have this time.
Well in advance for your congratulations, 7000 comments

Tarkus

Most of the types of "arsenal" (:D) that this release will be packing has been shown, and most of the work at this point is getting that stuff finished--as much as there is, that's why it's taking quite some time.  As such, there's probably not going to be as many "secret weapons" this go around, though I may still end up documenting some of the not-so-secret weapons with a video, mainly as they're still pretty fun to watch.

-Alex

AngryBirdsFan436

Well, here's a tip for AVE-6 overpasses over an RHW (any width). You can use the ERHW-6C to make an overpass over the RHW and connect it to the AVE-6 on each sides of the ramp. Hope this tip helps.
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: AngryBirdsFan436 on June 22, 2012, 11:24:07 AM
You can use the ERHW-6C to make an overpass over the RHW and connect it to the AVE-6 on each sides of the ramp.

Already been exploited, but not ideal since it doesn't let pedestrians through.
<INACTIVE>
-----

AngryBirdsFan436

Are there any proposals of AVE-6 overpasses?
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!