• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinlabsc3k

Happy to read you again Noah!! :)
I thought you abandon the MD. :(
I can't wait for the big update! &hlp
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

benedict

art128 is right, it reminds me of the bridges in downtown Chicago a lot. Great to see you back.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

noahclem

Thanks for all the support everybody!!!

Sorry for not being more active here. I've been doing quite a bit of playing but just haven't been at a point where there was a lot of material I was ready to share. A lot of what I've been doing is building the basic transport setup of the area--the highways and rails that the rest gets built around. I'm excited to share some of that, perhaps in video form, but that'll be a project for another day. Lately I've been doing a bunch of tinkering with terrain and transit textures and I thought I'd share some of that, as well as a few other things I've been up to over the last couple months.

This pic shows an area adjacent to the central rail station and the river in central Siilijoki. The rails and roads used to run over that canal on bridges but now I've used those overhanging lots to give the illusion of the water tunneling under the transit networks. It's not a perfect solution but it's the best way I've found yet to get Tram-in-Avenues over water.

The second thing here is the sidewalk mod which I just made this morning and am really liking! I'll probably tweak the colors a bit but it seems great as is. Try it out and let me know what you think :)

Third, I've switched to new trams, made by vester of course!

This shows some of the texture modding I've been up to. I've adjusted the width of the avenue so the lanes are the same width as in roads and OWR and put my sidewalk mod in as well as some other small changes. I'd really like to change these to adjust to peoples' sidewalk mods automatically but don't have the skills to do so at this point  ::)

Another look at the TuLEP textures, taken near the central station.

More city scenes and sidewalk textures

A scene around Siilijoki's second rail station

And for a bonus pic, here's some highway work from down river around the port area:

Hope you enjoyed the update! I'll be back with more very soon ;)

belfastsocrates

Absolutely superb update! I've really enjoyed looking through your previous updates, the attention to detail is wonderful and something I thoroughly enjoy seeing.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

c.p.

Wow!  It's all amazing stuff :thumbsup:

art128

Impressive work on the interchange as well as the sidewalk and road textures, Noah!
The city pictures are wonderful, and I think your sidewalk textures fit perfectly with your building style. :)
I quite like the tunneled river idea.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vinlabsc3k

Amazing develop Noah!! :thumbsup:
I love the embankment and the new sidewalk texture!! :o
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

metarvo

Nice update, Noah!  :thumbsup:  These are top-grade sidewalk textures.  While some upscale or historic areas in RL may have pink or red sidewalks or driveways made from bricks and materials, I find that the grey concrete is so much more common, and some of the aforementioned areas use it.

The grey bricks (with a red brick thrown in here and there for good measure) also look good.  It's amazing that we can get this kind of detail in the game.  Of course, the grey cobblestone works well with the cobblestone street.  Do you have the sidewalk textures set to wealth?

Oh, and the night bridge pic looks good, too.  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

vortext

Always nice to see what you're up to. The sidewalk texture is nice, though it has some darker areas on one side which leads to noticeable tiling effects. You can probably get rid off it if you temporarily take out the saturation with an adjustment layer and use the burn & dodge tools to make the texture as uniformly 'grey' as possible (at least in PS, not sure how that'd work in GIMP).

Also, whether it's intentional or not, I'm really digging the quay 'stairs' design in the fourth pic. And as per usual your night pics are superb!  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

carlfatal

What should I say, I like your sidewalks. Think I have an affinity to all sorts of stone pavement. I´m not able to say any critic, I was happy, when I learned to convert a tecture for my purposes, not to speak about darkening a texture.

Away from that: the pictures look like from google earth. The third one is  &apls absolute stunning. And the night pictures - like vortext said... And I still have no words for this bridge picture, that looks a little bit too realistic to me...  ;D

Girafe

I am glad to see an upate for Siilijoki  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Bipin

Gorgeous work, especially with the highways!

Kergelen

Amazing work Noah!

The grey sidewalks looks really nice. I like the close-up pictures and the interchange, unique as allways. You have a great ability to adapt the interchanges and other networks to the terrain.

I also like the use of xannepan walls in pic 4 &apls

Links to SC4 websites

sunv123

Absolutely amazing work Noah!! :o The Interchange and the city's infrastructure is very nice.

The bridge is very realistic :D
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

wallasey

Loving that interchange there Noah! Must have taken you an age to perfect the network there!

The sidewalk texture's you're using befit the city nicely, fits in well with the trams too!

Gugu3

Wow Noah!I'm speachless!!!you did a great job with the sidewalk texture...but that interchange $%Grinno$%

Jmouse

You've done it again, Noah. Outstanding work on the textures and the city building as well. The sidewalk textures look terrific. The next to last photo is stunning, and the interchange boggles the mind. An expert is someone who can make something difficult look easy, and you certainly fit the bill.

benedict

Excellent to see a return to Siilijoki - which returns to number one on BTT this week - well done.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

noahclem

Not much new in SJ at the moment as I've been focusing my energies on the retexturing stuff I mentioned earlier. That, in turn, is now on pause as I start my travels back home to South Dakota tomorrow  ::)  Anyway, I wanted to write replies and show some of the width adjustments I've been making for my textures. The point of that project is to standardize lane width as much as possible while keeping everything compatible with what exists now to the extent that is practical, have sidewalks that I like more (which hopefully can be made to adapt to any user's sidewalk mod), and to have larger turning radius curves for intersection right turns. A variety of possible solutions are shown in these pics, sometimes mixed together. Everything's a matter of  few pixels at most but I was quite surprised at how much different something like the avenue network can feel with a couple pixel difference in lane width.

I digress; please enjoy the pics that I came here to share  ;D

Quote from: belfastsocrates on May 30, 2014, 06:43:41 AM
Absolutely superb update! I've really enjoyed looking through your previous updates, the attention to detail is wonderful and something I thoroughly enjoy seeing.

Thank you much and welcome to Siilijoki! It's quite nice to hear when people read through my older updates even though--there's so many pages now and even I don't remember where the particularly good stuff is  ::)

Quote from: c.p. on May 30, 2014, 07:33:27 AM
Wow!  It's all amazing stuff :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot and welcome to Siilijoki! I've enjoyed your work for many year and it's a real honor that you enjoy mine :)

Quote from: art128 on May 30, 2014, 08:01:31 AM
Impressive work on the interchange as well as the sidewalk and road textures, Noah!
The city pictures are wonderful, and I think your sidewalk textures fit perfectly with your building style. :)
I quite like the tunneled river idea.

Thank you Arthur :)  I'm not sure what the future of those sidewalk textures is--I like their look but there are places they don't fit as well and in any case they have room for improvement. It's a good practice opportunity for me with image processing and modding though and I figure I might as well release it publicly if I really get it right.

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on May 30, 2014, 09:05:02 AM
Amazing develop Noah!! :thumbsup:
I love the embankment and the new sidewalk texture!! :o

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on April 23, 2014, 08:52:30 AM
Happy to read you again Noah!! :)
I thought you abandon the MD. :(
I can't wait for the big update! &hlp

It's really nice to see you back here in Siilijoki after me being away for a while--thanks! Glad you liked my new "decorations" :)  I still have more than a big update worth of material I'm keeping hidden for the moment  $%#Ninj2

Quote from: metarvo on May 30, 2014, 11:01:20 AM
Nice update, Noah!  :thumbsup:  These are top-grade sidewalk textures.  While some upscale or historic areas in RL may have pink or red sidewalks or driveways made from bricks and materials, I find that the grey concrete is so much more common, and some of the aforementioned areas use it.

The grey bricks (with a red brick thrown in here and there for good measure) also look good.  It's amazing that we can get this kind of detail in the game.  Of course, the grey cobblestone works well with the cobblestone street.  Do you have the sidewalk textures set to wealth?

Oh, and the night bridge pic looks good, too.  :thumbsup:

Thanks! There are certainly a lot of places that use simpler sidewalks and that's the biggest weakness of this type of texture--though it's certainly more common in some parts of the world than in others. I'm glad you like the brick texture as it's the one I plan to stick with. Unfortunately I can't take any credit for it though as Gobias created it and Willy tweaked and adapted it specifically for Siilijoki usage. The new textures aren't sensitive to wealth but they are to density. Being sensitive to wealth could make them much more useful but would require T21 modding to the best of my knowledge now and would probably have some limitations. Glad you liked the night pic  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vortext on May 30, 2014, 01:53:41 PM
Always nice to see what you're up to. The sidewalk texture is nice, though it has some darker areas on one side which leads to noticeable tiling effects. You can probably get rid off it if you temporarily take out the saturation with an adjustment layer and use the burn & dodge tools to make the texture as uniformly 'grey' as possible (at least in PS, not sure how that'd work in GIMP).

Also, whether it's intentional or not, I'm really digging the quay 'stairs' design in the fourth pic. And as per usual your night pics are superb!  &apls
Quote from: vortext on April 21, 2014, 04:05:47 AM
Good to see something from you again Noah! The bridge fits nicely indeed. Looking forward to that big update!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Erik! I noticed the differences in coloration with the original texture and never expected it to tile as well as it did. I'm not sure what the GIMP equivalent would be but I should be able to figure it out when I revisit them and I wouldn't have had much of an idea of how to do it without your suggestion. Hoping that a "real" big update is on the horizon ;)

Quote from: kbieniu7 on April 21, 2014, 03:26:09 AM
Nice usage of tenements. It's the first time, I see a bascule bridge in simcity :)
Thanks much and glad you liked the bridge! SC4 could definitely use that type of crossing.

The quay "stairs" were actually the least-bad-looking solution to making a significant height adjustment with my seawalls there. I've tried to hide the transition more than show it off so it's a bit of a surprise to get nice feedback about it  ;)

Quote from: carlfatal on May 30, 2014, 02:10:15 PM
What should I say, I like your sidewalks. Think I have an affinity to all sorts of stone pavement. I´m not able to say any critic, I was happy, when I learned to convert a tecture for my purposes, not to speak about darkening a texture.

Away from that: the pictures look like from google earth. The third one is  &apls absolute stunning. And the night pictures - like vortext said... And I still have no words for this bridge picture, that looks a little bit too realistic to me...  ;D

Thank you Carl! I've felt like I couldn't walk very far in Germany without my feet hitting that type of sidewalk and always really liked it. I really appreciate your kind words about the other pictures too.

Quote from: Girafe on May 31, 2014, 03:57:05 AM
I am glad to see an upate for Siilijoki  ;)
Thank you Antoine, it's always nice to have you visit here :)

Quote from: Bipin on May 31, 2014, 05:10:16 AM
Gorgeous work, especially with the highways!
Thanks a lot Bipin! Glad you enjoyed the highways in particular :)

Quote from: Kergelen on May 31, 2014, 08:02:44 AM
Amazing work Noah!

The grey sidewalks looks really nice. I like the close-up pictures and the interchange, unique as allways. You have a great ability to adapt the interchanges and other networks to the terrain.

I also like the use of xannepan walls in pic 4 &apls
Thank you for the kind words Arnau :)  Sometimes I wonder why I build networks on difficult terrain so often as it can be so frustrating but I guess it's pretty nice once it's done and someone else enjoys it ;)

Quote from: sunv123 on May 31, 2014, 08:26:10 AM
Absolutely amazing work Noah!! :o The Interchange and the city's infrastructure is very nice.

The bridge is very realistic :D
Very nice to see you around Siilijoki again and thanks for the kind words :)

Quote from: wallasey on June 01, 2014, 03:01:07 AM
Loving that interchange there Noah! Must have taken you an age to perfect the network there!

The sidewalk texture's you're using befit the city nicely, fits in well with the trams too!
Heh, yeah it did take an age or so. Wait 'til you see the one I've been putting off showing until I'm completely satisfied with it >:D  Long live Featherstall!

Quote from: Gugu3 on June 01, 2014, 01:08:10 PM
Wow Noah!I'm speachless!!!you did a great job with the sidewalk texture...but that interchange $%Grinno$%
Thank you Guglielmo! Really glad you enjoyed the interchange and sidewalks and it's always great to see you here  :)

Quote from: Jmouse on June 02, 2014, 12:08:38 PM
You've done it again, Noah. Outstanding work on the textures and the city building as well. The sidewalk textures look terrific. The next to last photo is stunning, and the interchange boggles the mind. An expert is someone who can make something difficult look easy, and you certainly fit the bill.

Your kind words are very much appreciated Joan! And that interchange was apparently much more difficult than I made it look ;) I can't thank you enough for all the support you've given to Siilijoki over the years  :)

Quote from: benedict on June 07, 2014, 10:33:39 AM
Excellent to see a return to Siilijoki - which returns to number one on BTT this week - well done.
Quote from: benedict on April 25, 2014, 07:05:12 AM
art128 is right, it reminds me of the bridges in downtown Chicago a lot. Great to see you back.
Wow, thanks Ben! A very pleasant surprise and a great honor  :thumbsup:  Chicago and Milwaukee were the inspiration for that type of bridge. Now I just need to get them in more functional condition....

Bonus pic for those still paying attention  ;D  Click for 3270px width

Schulmanator

Cool new pix. You have been busy indeed. :D
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0