• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SLR (Single Lane Road) Project Thread

Started by SimsReporter, August 18, 2007, 08:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolsome

Oh, ok. Hmm...I hope I can change it.  ;)

A short update for you. At some places I made it a littlebit dirty for more reality. I hope you like it.  ;D

and

EDIT: Update 3.0 :)
     (it's a beta)

Page 6  %%Order?/

mightygoose

these look awesome.... really really awesome...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Meastro444

&apls :thumbsup:

one tiny little point:
'bout the bend
the stripe markings and right side dont match the double line and the left side ;)

great work though!
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

Tolsome

Starmanw402007

I agree those SLR Updates are really awesome! Keep Up The Great Work!

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;

Tolsome

I hope someone can mod this, because I think the SLR is very important for all cities.  ;)  :)

Kitsune

Quote from: Tolsome on January 05, 2008, 06:08:21 AM
I hope someone can mod this, because I think the SLR is very important for all cities.  ;)  :)

This project would be a big boon to all those mountain areas with two lane roads that widen to three so vehicles can past the slower trucks going up the hill.
~ NAM Team Member

nerdly_dood

Would it be possible to allow for increased capacity on the side with two lanes without affecting the one-lane side and keep this as a 1-tile network?

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Andreas

No, since we can't create new networks, but only make variations of existing ones. An SLR "network" will be most likely based on the road network, so all capacities, speeds etc. that apply to the roads will apply to the SLR as well.
Andreas

JoeST

would it not be better to base it on the owr network? so you can say that the the one way direction has the 2 lanes. or is it a limitation of the owr that it cant have dual directions, or that its just very hard to have self reversing textures and paths on opposite drag?

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

nerdly_dood

Avenues have higher capacities than regular roads, and also there is that problem that OWRs might or might not have that star.torturer mentioned...but roads don't seem right...i don't know what network i think it should be based on...and i think basing it on the ANT will make too many bugs...i just don't know.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

RebaLynnTS

Sadly, Maxis did not envision the creation of new networks by users, so we have to live with some limitations, unless we can find a work around.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Tarkus

Joe, as far as I know, the OWR directional reverse only reverses the direction, but does not mirror the textures, so in theory, it'd be switching between RHD and LHD.  It's hard to tell what exactly it does given that it has a symmetrical texture by default, but having experimented with it, that's unfortunately the case--it's kind of weird how Maxis programmed that network.  Nice thought, though.   ;)  From the limited prototype I worked up awhile back, the method for flipping the sides involved simply rotating the starter piece, so it's not too difficult. ;)

nerdly_dood, if you've been following the latest Traffic Simulator developments, we're equalizing the networks such that

1/2 Avenue capacity = OWR capacity = Road capacity

because otherwise, the wider OWRs and the TLAs will have a capacity disadvantage when compared to the Avenues. 

As far as the ANT goes (it's not called the ANT anymore--it's officially become the RHW Network as of v20), there wouldn't be any bugs at all, but it would be subject to the same properties as the ANT network (i.e. you can't build zones next to it).  Personally, I'd see the need for both a Road-based version for in-town use (there's one just down the street from me) and an RHW-based version (which would be the RHW-3)--from a modding standpoint, the RULs for both would effectively be generated at the same time.  In fact, they pretty much are already generated, as all the work I did on the new puzzle-drag RHW-4 and the MIS can be transferred over to the SLR with a simple copy-paste/find-replace. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

j-dub

Will the SLR look like this, minus the sidewalk? If not, I guess thats why there might be plans for an avenue with no median.

Tarkus

No, it won't, j-dub.  If you had read the first post of the thread (which is stickied at the top of every page), you'd have known that. ;) 

-Alex (Tarkus)

Starmanw402007

Out of curiousty, what is OWR. I've heard about but dont no what it means. I know it has something to do with roads though LOL.

Your Friend;
Your Friend;

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Starmanw402007 on February 21, 2008, 07:48:12 PM
Out of curiousty, what is OWR. I've heard about but dont no what it means. I know it has something to do with roads though LOL.

OWR = One Way Road
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Shadow Assassin

QuoteI guess thats why there might be plans for an avenue with no median.

There may be, but the real question is: do our modders have the time to add an additional override dealing with that particular aspect? I already have textures for Euro and American roads created for the medianless avenue...
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Jonathan

I don't know how Tarkus(?) will make the overrides but I'd guess they were pretty similar to the TLA-5 ones, so once they are done it  would be some copy and paste. I only say that because that is how I'm going to make GHSR after HSR.

Tarkus

Warrior's correct.  It will be a copy-paste job on the RULs, mostly.  The only real modding work involved will be pathing.

-Alex (Tarkus)