• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Interchange Guide - Moved To A New Home! (See the Child Board Above)

Started by Haljackey, January 23, 2009, 10:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you found this guide useful?

Yes- very useful
256 (82.3%)
Yes- somewhat useful
44 (14.1%)
No- too simplistic
4 (1.3%)
No- too confusing
7 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 311

el_cozu

is there an A-6 Parclo?...

what's it called, when your parclo A-4 is mirrored? when there are free exits to each direction of the avenue, but the entrances have lights?... instead of free entrances and stoped exits... i hope I make myself clear...

mightygoose

Quote from: drjumbajookiba on February 14, 2009, 11:52:45 PM
There is a new style of diamond interchange called a Diverging diamond here is a picture: PS here is a link of a video of  one under construction in the US :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Diverging_Diamond.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANacKPO0Q4

sorry to steal anyones thunder, but this interchange is basically a split foci SPUI, and as far as i can see, it is far more confusing, expensive and far less compact than a SPUI so i would say its more an oddity than a type as such...

SPUI: [linkie]
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Haljackey

Quote from: mightygoose on March 12, 2009, 06:14:25 AM
sorry to steal anyones thunder, but this interchange is basically a split foci SPUI, and as far as i can see, it is far more confusing, expensive and far less compact than a SPUI so i would say its more an oddity than a type as such...

SPUI: [linkie]

Ah, an excellent time to revive this thread!  All the pictures are back up!   &dance

Sorry for the long delay for the next guide, but rest assured it will be coming!

Quote from: el_cozu on March 09, 2009, 11:15:08 AM
is there an A-6 Parclo?...

I don't think so.  From my knowledge, a parclo cannot have more than 4 ramps in each quadrant.

idrekdon

Hello Haljackey. Excellent guide.

Can you please post other link of your pictures in the guide? Cause some of them dont show in my browser.

It says "Bandwith Exceeded"..  :( I dont have pro upgrade in photobucket.

THANKS

mightygoose

dude, go MAJ [linkie] no max image size, no bandwidth limit.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

deathtopumpkins

idrekdon, read back a few posts in this thread. He's mentioned that he keeps exceeding his photobucket bandwidth several times now.

And Hal, might be a good idea to add that in the sticky post.  ;)

Looking forward to the next guide once you find the time to get it up!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

TmiguelT

Hal I got a question. How can i get my regular Transit to go from city to city using the RHW? I read the README file on the RHW but i didn't work. Can you help me with this issue? I also got my RC-6 was working but when i changed it to the RS-6 It stop all commute from city to city.  &mmm. I hope to hear from you soon  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Taken from the RHW FAQ:

You'll need to connect all the way through the entire RHW-6S. :)

-Alex

allan_kuan1992

All of the pics got locked again... $%Grinno$%

Oh well...

- Allan Kuan

TmiguelT

and is that the only way so far?? will the new Rural Highway V4 fix that?  ()stsfd()

choco

its a limitation of the game.  have a look at the readme.....its explained in detail there.  :)

TmiguelT

ok i got a Separate RHW-6S. it is a 1 tile space between southbound and northbound. Somehow i can't make a connection between the 2 of them. Do i have to something else? to fix this problem?

Tarkus

TmiguelT, it may be a slope-related issue.  Sometimes, if you're on even a slight incline or have a slope mod installed, it won't quite let you make the connection with the RHW-2.  You can use a Road sometimes instead between the two--that tends to do the trick here on my end.

-Alex

TmiguelT

Quote from: Tarkus on March 20, 2009, 08:51:12 PM
TmiguelT, it may be a slope-related issue.  Sometimes, if you're on even a slight incline or have a slope mod installed, it won't quite let you make the connection with the RHW-2.  You can use a Road sometimes instead between the two--that tends to do the trick here on my end.

-Alex

Thank you  :thumbsup: I got it finally to work.
Those loops were needed on all my cities... just after i did the connections the Congestion on those roads went to 98% Oh My God  :D.

Haljackey

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on March 19, 2009, 10:57:36 PM
All of the pics got locked again... $%Grinno$%

Oh well...

- Allan Kuan

They are back now, and I am assuming they will always be up from this point forward.

I'm not using the bucket anymore due to these problems.  6 accounts and I still get that stupid exceeded thing.  The bulk uploader at Imageshack has been improved and you won't get these problems.

Anyways I should have a new guide for you soon.  I think the next guide will show you how to build a Parclo A-4 with accel/decel lanes.

All the best,
-Haljackey

ramseyazad

Beautiful tut!  But I have a question - in your sunken diamond exchange, which I love btw, how did you get the RHW-2 to cross the end of the on-slope road puzzle piece?  I haven't yet found the on-slope-road/rhw-T or road/mis-T anywhere, but I can clearly see them working in your pics.  It's sort of key to the whole interchange. . .

ashton23

One question haljackey ()what() how do i join the nam team?

Blue Lightning

ashton23: If we see that you have the skills, maturity, talent, and teamwork skills, we will consider you.

Vince

BTW, try to keep on topic next time. ;)

Anyway, Hal, looking foreward to that tut, looks like it will help a lot of people in making more realistic interchanges
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Haljackey

All right, I'm back into making guides now.  You won't have to worry about bandwidth problems either.

Sorry its been so long!  I hope this guide will make up for it! 

Section 2.4: Parclo A-4 Interchange with dual acceleration/deceleration ramps.

Now we're moving into realism.  One of the biggest things that sets the RHW apart from the ground/elevated highways of SC4 is the ability to make proper entrances and exits, something we had no control over with Maxis.  The ramps were painfully short and totally unrealistic, without any accel/decel space at all before it merges with the main carriageway.

RHW ramp type "C" corrects this issue, enabling you, the user, to make a new lane when a ramp enters the highway, extending it for realistic accel/decel lanes or adding a whole new lane altogether.

Going by real world standards, accel/decel lanes should be at least 100 meters long.  Some older routes that have not been reconstructed may have very little merge room similar to the Maxis highways, which can also compare to the merge room on the type "A" and "B" ramps of the RHW.  The Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) suggests that these ramps should be 300 meters long, but some exceed 400 meters in length to increase roadway safety where there's ample room to do so.

Since a tile in SC4 is 16x16 meters, anything between 5-9 tiles should make for a good acceleration/deceleration ramp (not including room in puzzle pieces).  I'll take the average of the two numbers and make the accel/decel lanes 7 tiles long in this guide.

When you're making an interchange with accel/decel lanes, its pretty much a jigsaw puzzle.  You won't need to worry about starter pieces or dragging RHWs this time, you start by plopping two RHW ramp type "C" puzzle pieces.  I left a two tile gap between them for an avenue overpass as well as a 1 tile median for this guide.

Now you can start dragging the RHW from the puzzle pieces.  Don't worry about the ramps for now.

The next best thing to do is get your overpass up so you don't have to worry about it later.

Now its time to join your ramps with your avenue in a typical parclo style.  Start to construct your offramps as well by dragging a pair of RHW-2s from the avenue toward the RHW.  Place a pair of type "C" ramps at the terminus.
-You'll notice a textural glitch when you plop the ramp pieces.  This can easily be fixed by redrawing the network.

Now hook up your offramps with the type "C" piece to override the RHW-2 into a MIS ramp.  Drag the RHW tool over the deformed RHW-6 to change it back to a RHW-4.

Time for the last pair of ramps.  Start dragging a RHW-2 on the outside of the intersections.

Get yourself prepared by plopping two more RHW type "C" ramps further out.

Now just hook everything up!  Plop a pair of RHW-6S to RHW-4 transitions just next to your new onramps for a proper transition.  It works out to be exactly 7 tiles long.

Plop similar transitions on the outsides of the interchanges as well.  I'd suggest 7 tiles long on these to match the length of your loop ramps to make it look more uniform.

...And you're done!  Here's a look at the finished product zoomed out:

Like all RHW interchanges, you can further customize your creation.  Here are a couple examples.

Give your offramp a more realistic appearance by converting it to a one-way road when it comes out of the curve.  This will also establish a pair of lights on the intersections.

If you're looking to save space, move your outermost on-ramps to the inside of the intersection.  Although this isn't as realistic and will add to traffic congestion, its a good way to spare some extra tiles for something else.

Anyways that will be it for now!  I'm already preparing another guide which will be out soon.

futurama2506