• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Railroad crossings and other traffic props

Started by jondor, May 31, 2011, 02:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Looking nice, Jondor  :thumbsup:

By the way, I'm working on some better stoplight models, with better lamp textures, caps above the lamps, a optional backpanel (coming in three flavours) and different lamp setups (full lense, left/right/thru-arrow setup, ped-stoplight, yellow/red blinking light). I'll show some screenies when I got one working.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

jondor

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 20, 2011, 01:45:14 PM
Looking nice, Jondor  :thumbsup:

By the way, I'm working on some better stoplight models, with better lamp textures, caps above the lamps, a optional backpanel (coming in three flavours) and different lamp setups (full lense, left/right/thru-arrow setup, ped-stoplight, yellow/red blinking light). I'll show some screenies when I got one working.

Excellent!  Glad to hear my discovery is being put to good use.  :thumbsup:
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

kassarc16

Looking great, jondor!

One thing is those little gates just seem a bit small. Most of the gates I can recall cover most of the entire road, even with just two lanes.

Speaking of TuLEP type pieces, will we get working OWR crossings like the planned TuLEP pieces? Vanilla ones are non-functional.

ivo_su

His is done perfectly, and even a critic such as me, no comments and  complaints.  What I see is pozheche of great and looks real and the real world  great thanks  I rather see it in action.

Ivo

jondor

Quote from: kassarc16 on June 20, 2011, 03:52:16 PM
Looking great, jondor!

One thing is those little gates just seem a bit small. Most of the gates I can recall cover most of the entire road, even with just two lanes.

Speaking of TuLEP type pieces, will we get working OWR crossings like the planned TuLEP pieces? Vanilla ones are non-functional.

The Maxis gates cover both lanes, yes.  But in real life, having gates covering the entire road can be a hazard to drivers who like to dart across as the gates are lowering (or at least a hazard to the gates themselves).  4 quadrant gates are the answer there and it would be relatively simple (just shuffling a few vertex block refs) to make a gate that closes after a slight delay to make it a reality.

OWR SIPs (Signalized Intersection Pieces) are on the drawing board as an eventual part of the NAM core and NWM.  When they come out, you can be sure I'll have replacement T21s available shortly thereafter.

Quote from: ivo_su on June 20, 2011, 04:03:01 PM
His is done perfectly, and even a critic such as me, no comments and  complaints.  What I see is pozheche of great and looks real and the real world  great thanks  I rather see it in action.

Ivo

Thanks for the kind words!  :thumbsup:
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

TJ1

i get excited just by looking at them!!!!  &apls &apls

jdenm8

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 20, 2011, 01:45:14 PM
caps above the lamps,

I thought of modifying my version of the model to have that, but I wanted realistic lens sizes, which meant the RL-like caps would have completely obscured the lens, making the animation unneeded.

I opted to make it look like someone's thrown a brick at the signal (not as uncommon around here as you might think  ::) ) and broken the caps off.

The Yellow/red phase would be hard to do... Considering SC4 doesn't have anything to call that frame explicitly, it'd probably just result in desynchronisation due to the added length, that is if it uses the frame at all.

The pedestrian light is something I'd like to do, but I need to get a pole model that doesn't have them to start with (most CC ones and the Maxis ones have non-functional Ped lights)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

MandelSoft

After some S3D-modifications (The model wasn't showing up well due to negative UV-co-ordinates), the first experiment turned out quite well:

Off course, this is just one of the stoplight types I'm going to create.

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 20, 2011, 06:55:55 PM
I thought of modifying my version of the model to have that, but I wanted realistic lens sizes, which meant the RL-like caps would have completely obscured the lens, making the animation unneeded.
As you can see, I made the caps small enough so you can see the lenses.

The Yellow/red phase would be hard to do... Considering SC4 doesn't have anything to call that frame explicitly, it'd probably just result in desynchronisation due to the added length, that is if it uses the frame at all.
I wasn't talking about the Yellow/Red phase (although it would be nice for British/German styled stoplights), but just single yellow or red blinking lights. You know, as props.

The pedestrian light is something I'd like to do, but I need to get a pole model that doesn't have them to start with (most CC ones and the Maxis ones have non-functional Ped lights)
Still figuring out how to do the ped-lights...

EDIT: Got the dedicated turn signals (you know, the ones with arrows) ready! I've used the following IIDs.
- Full Lens: 0xEE480000 - 0xEE490000
- Right Turn Arrow: 0xEE4A0000 - 0xEE4B0000
- Left Turn Arrow: 0xEE4C0000 - 0xEE4D0000
- Thru Arrow: 0xEE4E0000 - 0xEE4F0000

I'm planning to use the following IIDs too:
- Ped Signal: 0xEE500000 - 0xEE510000
- Ped Signal diagonal: 0xEE520000 - 0xEE530000
- Yellow blinking light: 0xEE540000 - 0xEE550000
- Red blinking light: 0xEE560000 - 0xEE570000
- Full Lens diagonal: 0xEE580000 - 0xEE590000
- Right Turn Arrow diagonal: 0xEE5A0000 - 0xEE5B0000
- Left Turn Arrow diagonal: 0xEE5C0000 - 0xEE5D0000
- Thru Arrow diagonal: 0xEE5E0000 - 0xEE5F0000

Best,
Maarten

jondor

Are you still using GID 0x39c8771b?  That's the one the BAT assigned me, but it's not a big deal to just avoid the 0xEEXXXXXX range, I know how much of a pain reassigning texture IIDs is.

MandelSoft

^^ I'm indeed using the 0x39c8771b GID. Any suggestions about changeing these GIDs and IIDs?

jondor

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 21, 2011, 11:14:09 AM
^^ I'm indeed using the 0x39c8771b GID. Any suggestions about changeing these GIDs and IIDs?

It's not a problem, I was just curious.  I'll just avoid the 0xEEXXXXXX range.  I don't do much with the BAT anyway apart from transit props.

MR.Y

Nice, the Crossing close early enough...

for you euro-Version:
http://www.youtube.com/user/VAHRoyal
there you'll find many many many many many...european railway crossings...coincidentally it is the channel of royal...
for the NWM-Streets: May you could model for some this crossings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17cFG0AiHFU&feature=channel_video_title
those are my favorite, but very rarely

noahclem

Really great progess jondor  &apls   Outstanding work here!

jondor

Quote from: MR.Y on June 21, 2011, 12:24:56 PM
Nice, the Crossing close early enough...

for you euro-Version:
http://www.youtube.com/user/VAHRoyal
there you'll find many many many many many...european railway crossings...coincidentally it is the channel of royal...
for the NWM-Streets: May you could model for some this crossings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17cFG0AiHFU&feature=channel_video_title
those are my favorite, but very rarely

Thanks for the visual reference!  :thumbsup:

j-dub

@mrtnrln: Are you actually saying that turn arrow signals like:

with animated arrows are actually possible animations?

MandelSoft

That's right, J-dub! Animated turn arrow signals are indeed possible. Even better, I've got some of these signals working in-game!

EDIT: I don't have these 5-aspect signals you shown above ready, since you don't see them in Europe (we have more basic signal designs here). But I do have dedicated 3-aspect turn arrow signals ready...

jdenm8

Buuuut... Do they have their own phase? My guess is no, but it sounds great anyway  :thumbsup:

Animated arrows are possible normally anyway, but they correspond with the two-phase structure of SC4's (quite garbage) traffic light system. In simpler terms, they don't have their own phase, but correspond with the straight-ahead phase.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jondor

I was going to save these as a surprise, but I just spent 3 hours diagnosing a texture problem (thank you so much, Reader.. -_-), and I don't think I can wait to show off all my hard work.  But I am going to keep a couple things for a surprise later.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/v/bCKXhRS5QqY?hl=en&fs=1
My favorite kind of RR crossing signal ever.. WIGWAGS!  In particular, these are modeled after the Magnetic Flagman products most common in the western US (As opposed to the WRRS Autoflag wigwags common in the midwest).  The lower quadrant, cantilever style on the right was heavily used by the Southern Pacific, while the upper quadrant post style on the left was often used by the Santa Fe.  The Northern Pacific favored a post mounted lower quadrant style with the crossbuck mounted above the motor box, I just need to make an additional bracket prop so that the crossbuck isn't hanging in midair.

You will notice the banners jumping as the train leaves.  Unfortunately, that's just a quirk of the game (one that also affects the flashers).  When the game changes the prop's state, the animation just stops whatever its doing and jumps right to the first frame of the shutdown animation.  But I'm willing to ignore it if you are.  ;)

TJ1

MR.Y

If I would build american areas, they would find the way to my computer, great, wonderful, wordless...