• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Speed settings for roads, streets etc.

Started by Larsaf, July 03, 2014, 05:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larsaf

Hi,

the "Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool" gives me the opportunity to Change capacity and costs for all kind of roads, but how can I Change the travelling Speed?

regards
Klaus

noahclem

There isn't an option to change those because doing so can cause major problems with the traffic simulator. I'm not too familiar with the details but the person who's most knowledgeable with that stuff (also the one who created that tool) is z and he would definitely recommend you not mess with it. That being said, you can change those properties using ilive's reader and if you're familiar with the tool it's quite easy and not hard to learn if you're new to the tool. I've occasionally edited those values (usually increasing the speed of passenger rail) and haven't run into any trouble yet.

Larsaf

Thank you.

I know, that it's possible using ilive-reader and if I understood RHW right, RHW is the DirtRoad. But the Speed for DirtRoad is set to Zero and so I'm wondering, if I should Change this ()what()

regards
Klaus

Tarkus

If you're using the NAM traffic simulator, the speed for "driving", "bus", and "truck" should be set to 150, 150, and 130, respectively.  If it's not set up that way, then you're not using a NAM Traffic Simulator (or at least, any recent one that is supported). 

BTW, good to see a fellow ELP fan on the boards. :thumbsup:

-Alex

Larsaf

Hello Tarkus,

now I've got it. At first I made a mistake and analyzed "Simcity_1.dat" instead of NAM.

And yes - I am an ELP fan 'From The Beginning' and so I am a 'Lucky Man'  ;)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Larsaf on July 03, 2014, 07:41:18 AM
I know, that it's possible using ilive-reader and if I understood RHW right, RHW is the DirtRoad. But the Speed for DirtRoad is set to Zero and so I'm wondering, if I should Change this

General note: Speeds should never be touched because they, in part, determine the priority in which traffic will travel down which networks. For example, DirtRoad speeds are set to 150 km/h, whereas Rail speeds (commuter/freight rail) are 140 km/h, granting DirtRoad (RHW) more precedence to be driven on because it's faster. Similarly, Monorail is given the highest speeds of all networks, 200+ km/h, making it also take higher precedence because it's also faster.

Second general note: Speed isn't everything. Speed's only useful as long as very few cars (or trains or trucks or buses or peds) travel along a network. In fact, all networks are at their "fastest" when there's practically nothing travelling on them. A network's speed degrades (yes, it degrades) depending on how heavily it's used. Going back to the example using Rail, Monorail, and Highway. If enough sims are using monorail to commute, it'll eventually reach a point where its speed drops below that of DirtRoad, making DirtRoad faster and making Sims want to use highways isntead.

Third general note: Capacity is actually the greater determining factor of what you should use in terms of "flavour" of traffic simulator. It's also a determining factor over whether you want sims to use mass transit or not. Going back once again to the example of Rail and Highway, if you use a high-capacity traffic simulator, such as Ultra, sims will use Highways to get to work no matter what. Any Rails that lead to their jobs the same way will get less use. If you restrict the capacity of your networks, by using Low, for example, you make your Highways choke up faster, reducing its speed faster. This will compel sims to take another form of transportation, rail, because it's now faster than Highway.

Third-and-a-half general note: Sims get around on the basis of speed; in other words, Sims will take the fastest network, not the shortest. Speed is set constant, but capacity is not; that's dependent on how many sims are in your region and whether or not you want them to use mass transit.

Fourth general note: DirtRoad speeds should be 150 km/h. If it's not 150 km/h, you're not using a NAM-made traffic simulator.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums