• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Quote from: k808j on June 03, 2010, 06:05:20 AM
@jdenm8

I tried to drag ERHW4 into the MHW and it didn't work and I presume this transition that Blue Lightning created isn't public release yet.

Hm... Strange... I remember it working. I will have to look at it when I start the game next (It's been a while). Also, that transition that BL has made is not available to the public.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

skitbil

Hey, I just had an idea. Would it be possible to make a Maxis Highway to MIS ramp?

Dexter

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to make cosmetic pieces?

I quickly modified the textures posted on the last page to demonstrate british styled speed roundels:

Also, something like this would be nice for when a RHW terminates onto a roundabout - markings like these are common in such situations in the uk (although it would usually only be 2 lanes):

Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

jdenm8

Nice work on the roundels! I'm doing AUS styled ones, but I'm sure Tarkus would appreciate UK ones too.
I've done these just as yet another mock up as well as a properly impractical one.

MandelSoft

^^ School ahead? On a motorway? Are you kidding?
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Rady

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 03, 2010, 10:02:45 AM
^^ School ahead? On a motorway? Are you kidding?

Possibly a driving school ....  :D
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Tarkus

Quote from: k808j on June 03, 2010, 06:05:20 AM
I tried to drag ERHW4 into the MHW and it didn't work and I presume this transition that Blue Lightning created isn't public release yet.

There is no ERHW-4/EMHW transition--unless one was sneaked into the mod when I wasn't looking. :D  Sounds like something that could be sneaked into 4.1, though.

The one Blue Lightning was doing was RHW-6S/GMHW--that hasn't been released.

Quote from: skitbil on June 03, 2010, 06:57:17 AM
Hey, I just had an idea. Would it be possible to make a Maxis Highway to MIS ramp?

It's theoretically possible, but there's about a 0% chance of one ever being made.  The main reason is that it really wouldn't look right, as the 1-lane MIS ramps are about the same width as the 3-lane Maxis Highways.  (The EMIS is actually wider, if I'm not mistaken. :D)

Quote from: Dexter on June 03, 2010, 07:04:40 AM
Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to make cosmetic pieces?

It's basically the same process as making puzzle pieces--and as far as puzzle piece-making goes, cosmetic pieces are among the easiest.  If you use model overlays like Maarten showed here, it'll cut down the amount of texture work you need to do as well, and allow your cosmetic pieces to instantly work with any texture set.

-Alex

Blue Lightning

There is no ERHW-4/EMHW transition--unless one was sneaked into the mod when I wasn't looking. Cheesy

Uh, about that... :P

It does exist, but it only works when the EMHW is on the west side and the ERHW on the east side (highway is running east-west). I kinda did sneak that little bit in :P

And yeah, I have a 6S to GMHW transition in progress.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

k808j

Bad Lightning Bolt, you deserve a cup of water for that. Since you are working on transitions what about EMHW or as Tarkus eluded to 4.1.

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

Blue Lightning

The ERHW-4 to EMHW transition is in v4.0... one rotation of it that is. :P
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Tarkus

Quote from: Blue Lightning on June 03, 2010, 12:16:21 PM
Uh, about that... :P

It does exist, but it only works when the EMHW is on the west side and the ERHW on the east side (highway is running east-west). I kinda did sneak that little bit in :P

I'm falling over laughing here now. :D :D :D 

-Alex

el_cozu

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 03, 2010, 07:51:58 AM
Nice work on the roundels! I'm doing AUS styled ones, but I'm sure Tarkus would appreciate UK ones too.
I've done these just as yet another mock up as well as a properly impractical one.

LOVE THEM!!! but... i suggest you to enlarge the text on the motorway... since the angle you are watchin them is pretty low... letters should be longer so they appear at a natural scale... I hope i made myself clear... lol

jdenm8

Quote from: el_cozu on June 03, 2010, 03:11:44 PM

LOVE THEM!!! but... i suggest you to enlarge the text on the motorway... since the angle you are watchin them is pretty low... letters should be longer so they appear at a natural scale... I hope i made myself clear... lol

You made yourself perfectly clear about that one. I have been considering it myself. The main problems are: 1. University Assignment (It's due in like...13 hours and it's nowhere near done) and 2. Difficulty in finding them in RL. I just can't find good Australian examples. American ones could work if they did them, but I wouldn't know the first place to look.
I also want to re-do mrtnrln's arrows as Australian ones are generally twice as stretched. However, 3D rendered props are well off the cards for a while - There's only one 3D suite I'm any good with and it can't interface with gMax/3DSmax in any beneficial way.

Also, I have a situation where I have a school right on the end of a motorway where it transfers to Avenue. It's not ideal, but it works.

Highrise99

Quote from: Tarkus on June 02, 2010, 03:07:49 PM
Looking over your screenshot, and from the fact that the arrows are going the right way on some of the pieces, my guess is that you don't have a conflicting file, but have the LHD file in the wrong place, such that it's loading before some of the RHD files (the transitions, namely) and as such, the RHD arrows are showing up.  Take your LHD Plugin file, and put it in a subfolder of the main NAM folder, and call it "z-RHW LHD Plugin" or something of the like.  That should absolutely ensure it's loading after all the RHD stuff, and should fix the arrows.

Are you by chance using the Mac version?

-Alex
Thank you SO MUCH!.  I moved the LHD file for the RHW to the z_Left Hand Drive folder that was automatically created by the installation of the NAM and it worked!  I only have one question: should I move the NWM LHD file to the generic LHD folder?  I haven't been having any trouble with the NWM, or at least I haven't discovered the problem...
You actually solved my big RHW problem!  Thanks a million smileys.  You know what I mean. :)

j-dub

Basically, the school ahead warning looks the same on US pavement. In SC4 terms though, I don't know what can be done here. I tried stretching the school on that texture out myself, and it can be done where it matches the ahead at the bottom more. The only thing is, I would not probably use the school ahead pieces on the RHW myself. If pieces existed for the other networks, like Streets, OWR, Road, Avenues, I would probably use it then.  However, unless the same words are made using model files instead of textures, it would take forever for those to be created, not to mention more texture ID's would be taken as well.

Skins

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 03, 2010, 07:51:58 AM

I bet you're from New South Wales. :P
I have /never/ seen these on Melburnian freeways, avenues or roads, rarely on streets for 50 and 40. All of our metropolitan freeways have variable speed limits.

They look great though. May I suggest "form one lane" or an "X" for level crossings?

jdenm8

I'm actually from QLD. These are rare, (Main Roads prefers to make the signs massive) but if you know where to look (like the Pacific Motorway) they're everywhere. It was sort of a fad.

On that texture, all of that lettering is actually a font on about a 250% stretch which is pretty accurate from what I've found. I think the numbers are 25pt and the wording for ahead was 15pt. Not sure about the school bit though, I'd have to have a look at my master PSD. So, it doesn't take long to produce new textures.

dragonshardz

jdenm8, a few suggestions.

If you're gonna do MPH versions of all that, anything over 80 would not need to be done, as I've never seen a US freeway where the speed limit is over 80. And as for text on the road, here in the US it's still left-to-right, but bottom-to-top.

Examples:
Yours:
SCHOOL
AHEAD

U.S.:
AHEAD
SCHOOL

~~dragonshardz~~

jdenm8

I've done more research today (I'm stuck on this assignment) and I've found out three things. For Aus, I do have the school and ahead the wrong way around. However, I have done them close to how they appear in RL. Also, while the font is close, it is not exact. RL examples use a boxier font whereas mine is rounded. I think it might be a comprimise I will have to make.  :-\

I have however made this.

Which is more prototypical

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: Dexter on June 03, 2010, 07:04:40 AM
Also, something like this would be nice for when a RHW terminates onto a roundabout - markings like these are common in such situations in the uk (although it would usually only be 2 lanes):

I would just love this, in a two-lane version, that is. Most of my RHW-roundabout connections are with RHW-4, not RHW-6.