• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Elevation Floral and water

Started by dyoungyn, November 22, 2016, 06:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyoungyn

Does anyone know how to be able to plop god floral trees in HIGH elevations like you see forest in the Western part of the USA? 

Finally, what about actual water that shows up in the region view as water when on the transport view for HIGH elevations? 

Is there a way to set the sea level for each map independently?

APSMS

God mode flora use a tree controller, and this means that your ability to plant trees at altitude is limited by the design of the tree controller WRT altitude and temperature. Most tree controllers have increasing sparseness at this level as a design feature.

You best bet, then, in this regard is to use MMPs (usually included with the tree controller dependencies) to plant trees at that height. This will have to be manual and some care may need to be taken to ensure it looks natural, but it works.

Does the Poseidon mod water not show up in the transit network? In this case it's probably best to just overlay that one portion of the image with the standard region view image to display the water properly.

Sea level is not moddable, with the exception that you can set it individually in your terrain mod, but then this applies to all regions. You can work around this by having multiple plugins folders for different regions and using either modded shortcuts, a Launcher tool, or manual renaming each time you need to switch the plugins out. the caveat of this is that you can't have different water heights in the same region, so if you're building a mountainous region your best option there is to let the water/sea level be the height of the nearest mountain lake, and then everything else is at elevation (so no modding involved).

Otherwise raising or lowering the sea (on a permanent basis) is generally not particularly useful, especially since all maps are designed with this lower limit in mind. Sea lowering is useful temporarily, but I haven't seen a whole lot of use for it with regular use, esp since water is static in SC4 (no dynamic water like C:S). I think Maxis intended to have a somewhat functioning hydrology engine (with water sources and all sorts of cool stuff) but none of it is enabled or in the game.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

dyoungyn

APMS,

Thank you for the reply.  I thought as you described.  I do have experience playing SC4 with tons of mods, buildings etc.  Only fielding the question is some genius out there may of broken the sound barrier or not yet it this regard. 

I lost my main region I have been working on for 13 years for some reason.  So, I started over and with this time the Sallt Lake City map and let me tell you, the elevation is HIGH up, higher than I have ever seen.  The Great Salt Lake would definitely have to be ploppable.  Regardless, I scrapped it and downloaded another map with all the features I wanted. ocean, rivers, mountains, etc.

NCGAIO

There is a mistake in the conclusions about wind and humidity climate as responsible for the way the game implants flora due to the data researched by creators but not used and that were left in the ultimization to launch the game

Flora is defined in relation at sea level as below and this parameter is modificated

As for the rest... well

maybe a little while ago... before the SC4  be turned into SIMmotion 4 ...   other things maybe had be possible with dependency of the proper permission for modifications by SC4 owners ...

But in nowadays this is much harder to come by as we all know.

APSMS

What exactly are we looking at here?

NCGAIO

Posted in response for the  OP curiosity  cited  but think that all is very clear...

WYSIWYG... so to speak !

APSMS

Sorry, I mean, are these development photos from before 2003's game release, or testing photos by a modder? I would assume this is for Rush Hour (avenue wasn't in the Vanilla game, was it?), so must be some point later in the dev cycle?

Old dev photos using modified game code, or? That's what I meant. The implication of the photos is clear, but their age and origin and meaning are what elude me; multi-level game water (i.e. hydrology simulation) that didn't bug out every time you saved the city tile would be revolutionary, but afaik this is EXE locked despite remnants of the code still in the game.