• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simple Bat looks ugly in game

Started by nbvc, January 04, 2011, 11:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbvc

I try to make some oil pipelines like this.
I created some simple cylinders (radius 0.7 and 0.4). In preview rendering it looks straight, but in game it looks bumpy.

Is there a way to improve this?

toja

Yes, there is a way to fix it - that reminds me that I wanted to write a short a tutorial on that issue... The problem is, that gmax uses antialiasing in the preview, while antialiasing is turned off, when you're going to render your model.

To enable antialiasing in the game involves two steps:

1. Replace the file gmax/gamepacks/BAT/scripts/BuildingMill.ms with the one attached to this post. And don't forget to make a backup of your original file, since you probably don't want to enable antialiasing for every model...

2. Open the model with cogeo's Model Tweaker and turn transperancy on. The program is pretty much selfexplaining, so you shouldn't have any problems to find the right button...  ;)

When you're working with antialiasing it's also a good idea to use a neutral background:

Quote from: SimFox on August 15, 2009, 12:32:48 PM
backgroundColor = (color 90 90 90)

type it/paste it into MaxListener window - the pink field in the lower left corner of GMAX window and press enter.
This particular settings of RGB -90, 90, 90 will set render background to neutral grey somewhat darker that 50% brightness (that would be 128, 128, 128)

Hope that helps!

toja

nbvc

Thanks for the BuildingMill.ms, but I have a problem with the Model Tweaker. When I enbale transparency and click OK, the programm crashes. Maybe a Windows Vista problem.
I also tried to render as HD prop, this helped a bit.

A_1P

@Tarkus The attached file /BuildingMill.ms has been lost, could it be reattached?

@Barroco Hispano do you maybe still have it?

I am desperately looking for it!

Tarkus

Quote@Tarkus The attached file /BuildingMill.ms has been lost, could it be reattached?

@Barroco Hispano do you maybe still have it?

I am desperately looking for it!

There are some issues affecting attachments that were uploaded prior to an earlier site upgrade sometime in 2011.  The files are actually still there, in the directory on the server, but for whatever reason, the forums are unable to access them, and I've yet to figure out why.  All my attempts to fix it thus far have proven unsuccessful.

-Alex