• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A Walk in Yosemite

Started by deadwoods, May 03, 2007, 05:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadwoods

A few years ago I had an opportunity to spend a day in one of the most amazing places on earth; Yosemite National Park in the US. Here are some notes and pics...

Saturday morning was a crisp but clear day. I got up very early for the drive into the park. Once you enter the park (I came in from the SW) your are travelling through more redwood trees. It doesn't really hit you until you pass through a long tunnel and enter Yosemite Valley proper.

Here's the view I was greeted with...

The sun was still pretty low, but you can see the depth of the glacial-carved valley.

As you get to the valley floor, there's a one-way road you follow to the campsite. I rounded a corner and was faced with this amazing vertical granite wall framed by the pine trees on either side of the road (the slide film didn't cope with the contrast very well)...

This is what Yosemite Valley is all about; a beautiful tree-filled valley bordered by sheer granite walls. The pictures don't do it justice; you can walk up to a rock wall and crane your neck to try to see the top hundreds of metres above.
David, aka deadwoods

deadwoods

I had a look at the hikes around the area and decided on the Vernal and Nevada Falls track. This was a 10k round trip with a 1900ft (almost 600m) climb up to the top falls. I found the photo shop that had slide film (Velvia 50spd no less!) and bought a few rolls (you couldn't do the place justice with any less) and headed off into the woods.

I soon discovered that this was the interstate of hikes, you certainly weren't alone.

The path follows the valley up along the river and through the two falls. At this time of year (Autumn/Fall) there wasn't much water around, but the marks left by the peak water were pretty amazing.

The first stop was Vernal falls, some 3klms from the start (and about 300m climb). Above the falls is a crystal clear lake.

I sat here for a while (away from the crowds) just to take the scene in (and let my thighs recover from the cramping).
David, aka deadwoods

deadwoods

Continuing on there was a waterfall falling from one wall of the valley.

Further up I took a shot of some of the fall colours.

Still more climbing...
David, aka deadwoods

deadwoods

Finally I reached Nevada Falls and sat enjoying a chocolat bar and an apple (yin/yang).

Overshadowing the waterfall is Liberty Cap. If you look closely in the following pic you can see people around the bridge over the river. I loved this big boulder; they are everywhere over the valley floor (giant's marbles I presume). Sorry obout the over enthusiastic use of the polarising 
filter.

And here's the view looking back down the valley (the main part of Yosemite Valley is actually around the corner to the right of the end of what you can see). As you can see the day cleared up nicely.

I could have sat there all day. It was breathtaking.
David, aka deadwoods

deadwoods

But I continued on, back down the valley by a different path. This one followed the rim around for a while. This is a shot looking across the valley. Nevada Falls are to the right, where the shadow is falling across the rim and the rock is a bit darker.

I came across the most unique trail marker I'd seen in ages and had to take a photo.

It took me a while to wind my way back down to the valley floor and back to my car. I wasn't in a hurry.

I did another lap of the valley and stopped and one of the most photographed spots there. Here's my take on it.

One day I'll take the family there. It's now on the "must visit again" list.
David, aka deadwoods

Glenni

Beuatifull! Allthough , not as beautifull as here $%Grinno$%

Lol, just kidding, that is just as nice as the fjords here :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

metasmurf

Looks like they're using peg's limestone rock mod and cycledoggs tree mod  :D :P

RippleJet

I want to take hike! ::)

These are really beautyful, deadwoods!
I love the sharp contrast between the dark forest, the white cliffs, and the deep blue sky.

Masochist

Quote from: metasmurf on May 03, 2007, 05:50:24 AM
Looks like they're using peg's limestone rock mod and cycledoggs tree mod  :D :P

You know you're an SC-aholic when... :D

deadwoods
, those shots are beyond spectacular!  Your pictures are so clear, and they give a good indication of the beauty of that place.  I can almost breathe in that crisp, fresh air!  Yosemite is definitely on my "must visit for a first time" list!  Thanks for sharing these!
(Under Construction)

DFire870

These are great pictures deadwoods! I've been to Yosemite Valley twice, and while I never had the chance to go up any of those trails (first time I went up I was 10 or so, and second time we didn't have enough time), I'm always amazed at the beauty of the park. It's one of my favorite places in the US.

Did you get a chance to go up to Glacier Point? Even though that area is packed with tourists, it has a spectacular view of the valley.
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Fred_Ginger

Beautiful pictures DW!  They remind me of my childhood as that is where my family would go camping every year until it got "too crowded" for my Dad. 
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

deadwoods

Thanks folks. Hope I've inspired a few to get out and enjoy the park.

I was very lucky with the weather. It was worthwhile backpacking all my camera gear and tripod up those trails.

I did get up to Glacier Point, but it was just before dusk and there where more camera's on tripods than trees.
David, aka deadwoods