• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Err... Monorail Master, haven't you read the top post?

Quote from: Tarkus on April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM
7.  Can the RHW make bridges and tunnels?

Tunnels are, however, hardcoded, so it does not appear that a standard RHW tunnel will be possible at this time.  You'll also need to use another network as a workaround, or use one of blahdy's Boston Big Dig (BBD) lots or buddybud's underpass lots, which utilize the Subway network.  Lollo has also been working on his own tunnel portal using these same methods, specifically designed for the RHW, which is featured around page 93 of this thread.

It sais that tunnels like on normal Maxis networks can't be made.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Shadow Assassin

Yup. I've proved that, initial results appeared promising, but I discarded it since it wasn't possible to have a custom model on the tunnel portal, and it didn't work either. So...

PP or lot-based tunnel portals will be necessary.... I suppose.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

nerdly_dood

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 18, 2008, 05:28:14 AM
PP or lot-based tunnel portals will be necessary.... I suppose.
Well, that's one way to have a tunnel... The way I'm doing things now, I just use avenues for RHW-4 bridges and tunnels (one way road for separated RHW-4) and roads for RHW-2 bridges and tunnels.  RHW-6 is rarely seen except as accel/decel lanes.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

MandelSoft

Yep! I'll use that as a workaround too!
EDIT: When a RHW-6 crosses the city border, I use a direct transition to the Maxis Ground Highway. It looks a bit ugly but I hope Tarkus will fix that.

Tarkus

Streetlight, I'm a little confused by your request.  The full interchange itself will not be added.  If you're not familiar with how the RHW's interchange capability and how it works, the interchanges are built by using a series of small puzzle pieces and draggable sections which comprise a "Modular Interchange System" (MIS), allowing the user to assemble the pieces as they choose to create truly custom interchanges.

So, in essence, once the necessary smaller pieces are made, you'll be able to build those interchanges.

Hope that answers your question.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Streetlight 725

TEG24601

I didn't seem to find this in the thread, but is the next version going to include the ability of taking monorail across at an angle?  I can do it at 90° but not 45°, so in the interim, I've had to resort to Maxis Highway pieces.

TEG

nerdly_dood

The exit will probably be possible when there is a RHW-4 -> dual MIS split piece, which will likely be included in RHW v.21.  The mixmaster is so confusing I doubt anyone would want it in their city...
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.

allan_kuan1992

streetlight725:

This is a thread concerning RHW development only. Interchange helper pieces should be in another thread.

As well, keep in mind that UNUSUAL layouts will NOT be built as there will be too many interchanges then to build helper pieces for. Remember, this is a simulator. Make the best of what you have, rather than asking already busy people to create things that will only work in special situations.

- Allan Kuan

Patricius Maximus

Wow, that was a long scrolling text.

Anyway, I wouldn't like helper pieces, as everyone, for instance, builds their parclos a bit differently. Look in some CJ's and MD's to see what I'm talking about. Comparing my parclos to Haljackey's for instance, a Franklin County parclo is somewhat diferent than a GTR parclo. Even diamonds are different. Think - length of orthogonal ramp, MIS A or B ramp, number of lanes on freeway, et cetera.

I'd word that last part of your post differently, however. With the RHW, there is almost always a way to do it, you just have to think outside the box to accomplish it.

Showing unusual interchanges is good, since that interchange could find many uses.

But, I have a word of advice to anyone who wants to request a new piece for the RHW.

When you think of one, go around Google Maps, Google Earth, or Yahoo Maps, and find multiple uses for the particular piece. Then it will have more support.

- Patricius Maximus

allan_kuan1992

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on August 20, 2008, 04:14:52 AM

Anyway, I wouldn't like helper pieces, as everyone, for instance, builds their parclos a bit differently. Look in some CJ's and MD's to see what I'm talking about. Comparing my parclos to Haljackey's for instance, a Franklin County parclo is somewhat diferent than a GTR parclo. Even diamonds are different. Think - length of orthogonal ramp, MIS A or B ramp, number of lanes on freeway, et cetera.

When you think of one, go around Google Maps, Google Earth, or Yahoo Maps, and find multiple uses for the particular piece. Then it will have more support.

- Patricius Maximus

I was getting confused and frustrated at streetlight725's posts so excuse the scrolling text.

And I agree... you find more uses of a particular piece, and you show it to us, then Tarkus may create it. But only if it's used a lot.

streetlight725, please stop asking for whole custom interchanges... those are ridiculous to build and only serve one purpose. I may be sounding frustrated, but this has been discussed before. Read all previous posts please before you try to reinvent the wheel here.

- Allan Kuan

nerdly_dood

Images of interchanges that are somewhat simple and I'm sure are at least common enough that they should be included in some version of the RHW.  Ignore the pair of lanes down the middle of the right/left highway in the first two images - they are HOV lanes that switch directions at different times of day, which is (probably) not possible for SC4. Also ignore the white and green dots - I don't know why they are in Google Earth.

One of those roundabout stack thingamajigs:

A diagonal/orthagonal cloverstack thing:

A cloverleaf (already possible I know) with a partial SPUI on the right and on the far left you can see another:

All these are along interstate 395 in the DC metro area. (I think...)  I got the screenshots with Google Earth.

MandelSoft

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on August 20, 2008, 05:28:32 PM
Quote from: Patricius Maximus on August 20, 2008, 04:14:52 AM

I'd word that last part of your post differently, however. With the RHW, there is almost always a way to do it, you just have to think outside the box to accomplish it.

Showing unusual interchanges is good, since that interchange could find many uses.

But, I have a word of advice to anyone who wants to request a new piece for the RHW.

- Patricius Maximus
I was getting confused and frustrated at streetlight725's posts so excuse the scrolling text.

And I agree... you find more uses of a particular piece, and you show it to us, then Tarkus may create it. But only if it's used a lot.

streetlight725, please stop asking for whole custom interchanges... those are ridiculous to build and only serve one purpose. I may be sounding frustrated, but this has been discussed before. Read all previous posts please before you try to reinvent the wheel here.

- Allan Kuan

Well, it hasn't to be a piece that's used a lot in RL. You can request for a piece that would be very usefull as an extenstion to the original Maxis networks. For instance, there's a MIS->OWR piece requested many times and I requested many pages ago for a RHW-6->Ground Highway Transition piece. It can be done now but it looks like this:

Pretty ugly, eh? (Image posted before on p.125) That's why I'm waiting for a better one.

Best,
Maarten

Dexter

That would be very useful mrtnrln, mind you, I only tend to use the maxis highways for compact interchanges, then convert back to RHW, as the lanes are narrow and unrealistic - there is only enough room for 4 really. I'm sure I saw a mod in the works to convert the maxis highways to 2 lanes in each direction, but I haven't been able to find it again, and guessed that the author has some RLS at the moment.

Anyway, the RHW is looking great  :thumbsup:, but one question, will there be an elevated MIS ramp to connect the type A MIS exit to an elevated road, as all the interchanges at the moment take up quite a lot of room, which is not very good in an urban area  :) .
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Shadow Assassin

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

nerdly_dood

:o They do exist! Actually there's one in downtown Roanoke VA going by the title "interstate 581/US 220" but it's just "US 220" after the Elm Avenue interchange (just a standard diamond).  I think that Maarten's HRS project would make the Maxis highways more like 581 than they already are, though. This highway is also very fond of cloverleafs, with one at Orange Avenue (one "leaf" is rather squashed though) and there's one at Peter's Creek Road and at Hershberger Road. I-581 is more of a Maxis highway closer to downtown but more of a RHW-6 as you get out towards Valley View Mall and I-81.