• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

As far as I know: yes, quite soon!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

JeffCoyote

Quote from: mrtnrln on February 06, 2011, 08:08:59 AM
( Euro Mod )
As far as I know: yes, quite soon!

Very good news !!!  :thumbsup:

Ramona Brie

Very beautiful indeed! (Are the Euro road curves made using the same technique as Dedgren's RealRoads markers?)

mave94

Looks very good, Maarten!
As said above, nice rounded corners.
Can't wait to use this :P

MandelSoft

Quote from: Tracker on February 06, 2011, 08:31:37 AM
Very beautiful indeed! (Are the Euro road curves made using the same technique as Dedgren's RealRoads markers?)

Nope. It's just some basic texture modding. No tricky RUL-modding involved as in case of the RealRoads...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Jack_wilds

really neat stuff Maarten  :thumbsup:

it makes want to use it for awhile for something different... :P ::) :D my straight faces aren't so  &mmm  -just teasing...

I like the road line work particularly and brick texture choice... I think some anticipated LEX watching will be in order

Jack

Death50

I'm waiting for some pictures of these multi level RHW's I keep hearing about it.  ()what()

io_bg

You're more likely to see RHW pictures in the RHW development tread ::)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Tarkus

Additionally, as it's one of those "in progress" things that is not going to be included in the next RHW version, we're probably going to refrain from showing any multi-level ERHW progress until we're beginning to work on the release in which it'll be included.

-Alex

CascadiaTinker

First of all I want to thank the NAM team for the cornerstone mod of SC4.

I have a problem encountered while modelling the real city of Portland, Oregon on a scale region map. The central business district of Portland is tilted on an angle which is quite close to the FAR street tiles, close enough that the FAR angles will work for modelling. However, the city blocks in Portland are quite small compared to almost every other city. In SC4 they come to exactly 4 tiles on an orthogonal grid. This means that using FAR intersection tiles to produce a realistic reproduction of the downtown (SW) Portland grid is not possible, since the smallest possible FAR grid which matches the model is closer to 6 tiles on a side. The backstory is that the original city planners of Portland decided they didn't like alleyways, and laid the CBD out without them (many downtown sidewalks still contain lifts to basements for freight delivery, in the past coal delivery as well).

Has this problem been addressed in the past? I realize it's almost unique to this project, and that there are limitations due to the 2x3 tile size for ploppable straight FAR sections, etc. Anyway, I am comfortable using mod tools to solve the problem myself for my project with customized NAM content, if the NAM architects think it's possible. Seems like a solution might involve larger ploppables, perhaps of an L shaped configuration spanning half a (Portland) block.

Any and all clues welcome, as without a solution I may end up having to fudge an entire area of the model in a highly non accurate fashion. (The only other accuracy issue that has come up is Diagonal Bridges, hehe). If you need pictures I'd be happy to post them.

Thanks in advance!

jdenm8

I think you're asking for a 2x2 FAR piece that's still on the same angle as current.

2x2 FAR pieces have been shown previously, but they're on a different angle.

Why this is is because for the road to match properly (and easily) between each piece, a 2x3 area is required. If it's either shorter or longer, then it becomes a real headache.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Quote from: CascadiaTinker on March 12, 2011, 11:01:30 PM
First of all I want to thank the NAM team for the cornerstone mod of SC4.

On behalf of the team, you're most welcome. :)

I've actually toyed around with the idea of "semi-recreating" Portland as well myself, being quite familiar with it (grew up in Washington County and went to PSU my junior year of undergrad), and I kind of was torn with how to deal with the angles on southwest part of downtown as well.  The angle on the streets is just about 21 degrees, which is indeed quite close to the 18.4-degree angle of the FAR pieces.  

The current FAR/FAR intersection pieces allow for intersections with a 2-tile spacing and a 3-tile spacing, but not a 4-tile spacing.  I've been examining the existing pieces since seeing this post and taking some measurements, and am trying to figure out the geometry that would be needed.  Looking over things, a 4x4 setup might be possible if a couple more pieces were made--a partial FAR piece and a FAR/FAR intersection that has been shifted one tile over toward the edge.  

We've also discussed going to a FLEXFly-style helper piece setup or some sort of draggable system, which also might make this sort of thing a bit more feasible, though with as much as is going on developmentally at the moment, I don't anticipate it'll be for awhile.

-Alex

CascadiaTinker

"Looking over things, a 4x4 setup might be possible if a couple more pieces were made--a partial FAR piece and a FAR/FAR intersection that has been shifted one tile over toward the edge."

Can you elaborate on this? Is this something that you or other NAM team members are already interested in taking on, or is it limited interest for projects such as mine? Without modesty, I have 20 years of experience hacking various software systems and would be happy to contribute for this small portion to make my project happen.

Thanks so much for your prompt response. It's amazing to me that the exact problem has already been encountered for modeling this particular locale - what an amazing and universal tool we have here at our disposal.

eta: I'm reading http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11023.0 which I assume is the relevant tutorial.

Nanami

Hi..
I have a suggestion for next NAM (maybe NWM):
A typical avenue with narrow barrier like this:

it's should be different with either MAVE 4 or AVE 4 so I hope someone create network like this..

Ciuu96

Actually, one could just make a T21 mod, something similar to this, but just replace the fences with that kind of barrier. No need to create a new network this way ;)

EDIT: The barriers couldn't still be very big, obviously.
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

j-dub

Well, if the T21 object was about 4 pixel spaces, no more then 6, I don't see why that would not work out.

Nanami

which network should it be??

j-dub

I would say Mave-4, because motor bikes can pass around cars on that.

Kitsune

Are there plans to make the straight ave, one way and road on slope pieces two tiles instead of the current three?
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

Quote from: Kitsune on April 17, 2011, 11:43:49 AM
Are there plans to make the straight ave, one way and road on slope pieces two tiles instead of the current three?

We tried that with the ERHW-2 On-Slope . . . it didn't work and basically screwed up the rotation ring, so unfortunately, the standard ones will be staying at 3 tiles, the only way to pull off something like that is by using the T OnSlopes.

-Alex